Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys I apologize for posting that "stern" lecture-sounding statement in the forecast thread. I just feel like anyone who isn't agreeing with the latest model is stereotyped as "wishcasting" or being "overly optimistic". What separates a medium like this from a paid site or from a NWS AFD is that professional meteorologist can come on here and talk about the potential a pattern has without having to restrain themselves, worry about being politically correct from a forecasting viewpoint, or worry if the "public" is going to take what they say and misconstrue it. I've been a visitor of this group since the old Eastern US Wx days, although I waited to become a member until I became a meteorologist. What has always kept me coming back here was that open-ended discussion with professional meteorologist who were willing to share the details of why they liked/disliked a pattern. The contributions of the likes of Foothills, RaleighWx, HickoryWx, and so many others are why I'm here today. I know it's frustrating when nothing is working out and we're snow-starved, but it's important to encourage meteorologists to continue to share there honest opinions about a pattern, because that's what is so unique about this medium and keeps good discussions going!

Hey, we're going to get some cold rain Thursday. Awesome. But at least there's something else to look at for Friday night and Saturday, even though that will probably be cold rain, too. Then it's going to warm up. What a fantastic winter. All those folks that said this pattern was going to be great are incredible.

Guys I apologize for posting that "stern" lecture-sounding statement in the forecast thread. I just feel like anyone who isn't agreeing with the latest model is stereotyped as "wishcasting" or being "overly optimistic". What separates a medium like this from a paid site or from a NWS AFD is that professional meteorologist can come on here and talk about the potential a pattern has without having to restrain themselves, worry about being politically correct from a forecasting viewpoint, or worry if the "public" is going to take what they say and misconstrue it. I've been a visitor of this group since the old Eastern US Wx days, although I waited to become a member until I became a meteorologist. What has always kept me coming back here was that open-ended discussion with professional meteorologist who were willing to share the details of why they liked/disliked a pattern. The contributions of the likes of Foothills, RaleighWx, HickoryWx, and so many others are why I'm here today. I know it's frustrating when nothing is working out and we're snow-starved, but it's important to encourage meteorologists to continue to share there honest opinions about a pattern, because that's what is so unique about this medium and keeps good discussions going!

Great post!

Well said! Please continue to call it as you see it and talk about possibilities. Things don't always come together for us winter weather-lovers in the SE (actually, they rarely do!), which is why I like to hear about what might happen to make it come to pass. I don't care whether others say it can't happen. I like to hear all sides voiced with respect and without finality. Too often people cast judgement on something with 100% finality; i.e, "It's not going to snow" OR "It will definitely snow." Nobody can truly predict things three or four days in advance, so I enjoy discussing the what ifs of the whether, from both sides. Keep up the good work, sir!

I'm not sure why people are so quick to criticize someone when the forecast they were hoping for doesn't pan out. It's almost as if some feel like the weather owes them a snowstorm and when it doesn't happen, then the weather is out to get them, and the forecasters who mentioned the possibility of a snowstorm are out to get them too.

Good weather forecasting is about going with the odds...not going all in on snake eyes. The house is that most systems in the SE are rain. Trying to accurately forecast snow here, especially from several days out, is nearly an exercise in futility and strongly going against the house. Not to say it shouldn't be attempted, because it should. And sometimes the odds are better than others. But all it takes is one little tiny thing to screw it all up, and somehow, THAT is the forecaster's fault. That is a moronic viewpoint.

Some people read comments on a weather board and get offended if someone "hypes" a storm that didn't pan out. It is more than appropriate on a weather board to discuss possibilities and make forecasts, as long as they're based on good reasoning. This isn't an official forecasting outlet. Nobody should be planning their lives around speculation from a weather board. If they do, then it's nobody's fault but their own when the are let down by an unofficial prognostication.

The whole availability of data and information seems to have created this false concept that complex weather systems can be resolved days in advance. And it seems to lead to a lot of the general lashing out that goes on. I think many of us, myself included, need to reset our expectations that just because we have all of this fresh model data all day long, that doesn't mean that we're anywhere close to being able to solve the weather puzzle. It's fun to try...or it should be fun...but there are still no complete answers.

The whole entire purpose of this place and others like it is not to serve as an official weather service. It's to foster discussion, serve as a forum for speculation and analysis of possibilities over the near and long terms. And the notion that an "event" shouldn't be discussed until it's outcome is fully visible, i.e. 3 days out or closer, is foolish and completely wrong.

This is where a bunch of people who love weather should be able to come and freely discuss weather without fear of being condemned for doing so, even when their analysis turns out to be wrong. It's a place that folks should be able to talk about long term patterns and speculate on storm threats without having to be made to feel bad for it. Everybody is going to be wrong from time to time, and most long term stuff that you hope for isn't going to work out. If that makes you feel bad as a consumer of this weather forum resource, then maybe it's time to quit complaining about forecasters and weather always letting you down and instead think about picking up another hobby...one that's completely within your control. After all, weather, in all of it's ups and downs should be fun for those that are here...not a source of grief and despair, anger and malcontent. It's just not that important.

Please keep doing what you're doing. My favorite part of this Board is coming in and reading analysis on the pattern and why it "could" produce winter weather. I learn alot and it gets the snow goose in me going. Of course I get disappointed when the models don't follow suit, but it's great to get that analysis on the pattern and to know what is in the works. It's like reading spoilers for your favorite TV show...getting ahead of the game.

Please continue to dig in to the pattern, I appreciate all the mets analysis on that.

Where are you all getting these ideas of us saying negative comments? Who has a fear of being condemned? The teleconnections and other factors weren't even favorable for a snow event. Then this event keeps being compared to 12/26/10 for some reason.

Right, we keep being told to be optimistic, based on a fairly recent anomalous event. The odds of a repeat are extremely low. Personally, I see snide comments in both directions on this board, and I think it is a symptom of our culture, more than anything.

Where are you all getting these ideas of us saying negative comments? Who has a fear of being condemned? The teleconnections and other factors weren't even favorable for a snow event. Then this event keeps being compared to 12/26/10 for some reason.

I haven't done that but, if I did, for me it would be a valid comparison. I didn't get squat in 2010. :)

Right, we keep being told to be optimistic, based on a fairly recent anomalous event. The odds of a repeat are extremely low. Personally, I see snide comments in both directions on this board, and I think it is a symptom of our culture, more than anything.

This is the Southeast. We don't have culture. We have "ways".

The whole availability of data and information seems to have created this false concept that complex weather systems can be resolved days in advance. And it seems to lead to a lot of the general lashing out that goes on. I think many of us, myself included, need to reset our expectations that just because we have all of this fresh model data all day long, that doesn't mean that we're anywhere close to being able to solve the weather puzzle. It's fun to try...or it should be fun...but there are still no complete answers.

The whole entire purpose of this place and others like it is not to serve as an official weather service. It's to foster discussion, serve as a forum for speculation and analysis of possibilities over the near and long terms. And the notion that an "event" shouldn't be discussed until it's outcome is fully visible, i.e. 3 days out or closer, is foolish and completely wrong.

This is where a bunch of people who love weather should be able to come and freely discuss weather without fear of being condemned for doing so, even when their analysis turns out to be wrong. It's a place that folks should be able to talk about long term patterns and speculate on storm threats without having to be made to feel bad for it. Everybody is going to be wrong from time to time, and most long term stuff that you hope for isn't going to work out. If that makes you feel bad as a consumer of this weather forum resource, then maybe it's time to quit complaining about forecasters and weather always letting you down and instead think about picking up another hobby...one that's completely within your control. After all, weather, in all of it's ups and downs should be fun for those that are here...not a source of grief and despair, anger and malcontent. It's just not that important.

Cold rain brings some cold hard facts to the table.

Honestly, I truly appreciate your thoughtful responses and posts. A lot of opinions about people on an internet board are formed via how they communicate. Some people seem to have very little sense of how their posts sound or come across (or they simply don't care). Some of it has to do with grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. but not all. Tone is definitely important. Some people on this board I hold in pretty high esteem just for the way they conduct themselves on this board.

Whatever happened to good ol' fashioned, Southern hospitality and courtesy? I don't think it's dead, but let's try not to defy this stereotype either! :santa:

Please take this as constructive criticism. I was a school administrator and sometimes I have flashbacks.

You're a met. Your credentials speak for themselves, as do your knowledgeable posts. What's causing you trouble here is your expectations of others. You can not control anything except yourself. I realize you know this, but you seem to be having a bit of trouble putting it into practice. You have been actively posting for a few weeks now. In that short time you have quit the board, deleted all your posts, returned, apologized and in the post above issued another apology. All this was caused by what others said and none of it was necessary or productive.

Relax. Just be you and allow others to be whatever they are. Don't internalize what you read on a weather board. You'll enjoy life a lot more, both on and off the board.

Please take this as constructive criticism. I was a school administrator and sometimes I have flashbacks.

You're a met. Your credentials speak for themselves, as do your knowledgeable posts. What's causing you trouble here is your expectations of others. You can not control anything except yourself. I realize you know this, but you seem to be having a bit of trouble putting it into practice. You have been actively posting for a few weeks now. In that short time you have quit the board, deleted all your posts, returned, apologized and in the post above issued another apology. All this was caused by what others said and none of it was necessary or productive.

Relax. Just be you and allow others to be whatever they are. Don't internalize what you read on a weather board. You'll enjoy life a lot more, both on and off the board.

Sound advice for interactions with everyone when it comes to life.

Nothing wrong with speaking your mind like you did. Say what you gotta say and roll with it. No reason to dance around things. If it makes people mad, they will get glad again. Your input is appreciated.

That's why you wait till you get two- three days from the event to talk bout it otherwise it does nothing but get everyone excited over nothing

I strongly disagree with this. I believe people have the ability (and should exercise that ability) to contain their excitement and realize that they live in a place where it's usually not going to snow, while simultaneously observing or participating in a discussion of the possibility of a winter event from a distance of more than 72 hours. Both excitement and disappointment are part of the love of weather. And they can and should coexist.

I strongly disagree with this. I believe people have the ability (and should exercise that ability) to contain their excitement and realize that they live in a place where it's usually not going to snow, while simultaneously observing or participating in a discussion of the possibility of a winter event from a distance of more than 72 hours. Both excitement and disappointment are part of the love of weather. And they can and should coexist.

Picture this.

A child waits patiently for weeks for Christmas Eve to arrive and for Santa to bring all the presents. At midnight on Christmas Eve a window breaks, the tooth fairy flys in and hits the kid in the mouth knocking out a tooth. The tooth fairy picks up the tooth drops a quarter and leaves.

That is pretty much what waiting for snow in our area is like. Except we often don't even get the quarter. :)

Archived