northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 2012 General Discussion

Guru Of Reason

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's something fun for you guys. 1/10/1982. Wisconsin is the north pole of weather, with 480dm thicknesses. The Cincinnati Bengals played with -9F temps in Cincinnati, and possibly the lowest wind chill of any NFL game.

It was at the old Riverfront Stadium. They were literally playing on concrete (thin, frozen Astroturf with no padding on top of concrete).

Good stuff!

I keep noticing that on Allan's models page (raleighwx.americanwx.com) there are some maps that are current model data, and some maps that are old model data. The old data are from various days from the last week, like you can't even predict how old the model data is! Do you guys see this, or am I just crazy?

I sort of want to send Allan an e-mail, but I don't want to be too mean.

I keep noticing that on Allan's models page (raleighwx.americanwx.com) there are some maps that are current model data, and some maps that are old model data. The old data are from various days from the last week, like you can't even predict how old the model data is! Do you guys see this, or am I just crazy?

I sort of want to send Allan an e-mail, but I don't want to be too mean.

I was just looking at that... He has a feature that allows you to see that forecast period from previous runs. Yup, big changes.

What feature are you talking about?

When I go to the 00z GFS ensembles maps, and look at 12 hour, 24 hour, 36 hour, and so forth, I see forecasts from different runs, some runs are from back in November, even though it claims to be todays 00z GFS. I have noticed this problem for a long time on Allan's page.

When I go to the 00z GFS ensembles maps, and look at 12 hour, 24 hour, 36 hour, and so forth, I see forecasts FROM DIFFERENT RUNS, SOME RUNS ARE FROM BACK INTO NOVEMBER, EVEN THOUGH IT CLAIMS TO BE TODAY'S 00z GFS. I was thinking of sending Allan an angry e-mail, do you think I should use CAPITAL LETTERS? I have noticed this problem for a long time on Allan's page.

I've heard a rumor from a fairly reliable source that Allan is getting ready to leave AmericanWx.

I've heard a rumor from a fairly reliable source that Allan is getting ready to leave AmericanWx.

I don't want to be a person who gets negative and flames other people on the internet. The reason I get frustrated is because Allan's page -can- be a really useful page.

When I go to the 00z GFS ensembles maps, and look at 12 hour, 24 hour, 36 hour, and so forth, I see forecasts FROM DIFFERENT RUNS, SOME RUNS ARE FROM BACK INTO NOVEMBER, EVEN THOUGH IT CLAIMS TO BE TODAY'S 00z GFS. I was thinking of sending Allan an angry e-mail, do you think I should use CAPITAL LETTERS? I have noticed this problem for a long time on Allan's page.

I think you need to empty the cache and/or refresh your page every time you go on it. As far as I know, there is no "easy" fix.

It has nothing to do with you lol... my source told me this before you even posted

Yeah, I know it has nothing to do with me. So, I have to empty my cache on Firefox to get the right maps loaded? I'll try it. That is so weird. I don't have to do that with anything else.

Edit:

OK, well clearing the browser cache on Firefox actually fixed the problem with loading old .GIF files. I wish somebody would have told me that a year ago. Flame statement retracted.

In Toronto since 1843 there have been 8 winters where 1" of snow has failed to fall by December 15th. Here are a list of those winters and the total snowfall therefor.

1863-64 = 50.2"

1939-40 = 47.8"

1948-49 = 50.5"

1990-91 = 41.0"

1993-94 = 60.0"

1998-99 = 63.9"

2006-07 = 26.7"

2011-12 = ~17"

What I glean from these numbers is that in the 146 years between 1843 and 1989, such a dismal start to winter only occurred thrice. In the 22 years since, it's occurred 5 times. A testament to how desnowified our climate has become. Also, the more recent extreme laggard winters haven't been anywhere near as proficient at getting out of their funks in comparison to the ones of the past.

In Toronto since 1843 there have been 8 winters where 1" of snow has failed to fall by December 15th. Here are a list of those winters and the total snowfall therefor.

1863-64 = 50.2"

1939-40 = 47.8"

1948-49 = 50.5"

1990-91 = 41.0"

1993-94 = 60.0"

1998-99 = 63.9"

2006-07 = 26.7"

2011-12 = ~17"

What I glean from these numbers is that in the 146 years between 1843 and 1989, such a dismal start to winter only occurred thrice. In the 22 years since, it's occurred 5 times. A testament to how desnowified our climate has become. Also, the more recent extreme laggard winters haven't been anywhere near as proficient at getting out of their funks in comparison to the ones of the past.

I guess the bright side is half of the winters finished with 50"+ at least. Better than nothing.

Archived