joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2012 General Discussion

Guru Of Reason

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it to 30 today with lots of sun. Snowpack didn't budge at all. Still a solid 3" glacier.

Spoke too soon. Temps have creeped up a bit this evening. Now at the freezing mark. First time we've been AOA the freezing mark since early on the 20th. Temps are gonna tank late tonight and all through tomorrow though.

So I just noticed my car has snow on it again. I go outside to the snowboard and we have gotten a fresh 0.3" of fluff this morning and its snowing out. We couldnt buy a flake the first 20 days of December, and since then the snow keeps coming, forecast or not smile.png

12/21: 1.2"

12/24: 0.9"

12/26: 6.0"

12/27: 0.3"

12/28: T

12/29: 2.7"

12/30: 0.3"

To top it all off, we eeked out a month of above average snowfall.

As you know, the average is 9.6" and Metro Airport thus far has seen 10.6".

It's crazy how that works. It took one decent snowstorm to save an otherwise lackluster month prior to Christmas.

To top it all off, we eeked out a month of above average snowfall.

As you know, the average is 9.6" and Metro Airport thus far has seen 10.6".

It's crazy how that works. It took one decent snowstorm to save an otherwise lackluster month prior to Christmas.

And the month will probably be the 8th or 9th warmest December on record. Ill have to look closely but I think none of the other top 20 decembers had nearly this mufh snow. When I was shaking my head at the earlier assertions wed have a snowless December, I still certainly didnt thinkbitd be ABOVE normal.

I went hiking at lower huron metropark yesterday and it was GORGEOUS! The fresh white powder, steel gray skies, and miles of quiet wooded scenes...its like a theraputic remedy. Like being up north without travelling outside metro Detroit. Took pics will probably be able to post them tomorrow.

Had a cheap high of 34° during the wee hours this morning. Nothing really melted today though. Down to 18° now.

Will be right around +6° for this month.

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYBODY! :D

Hit 34 here too before sunrise. Temps have been falling ever since. Snowpack didn't budge, still holding near 3". Looks awfully stale now though. I'm surprised it's held on as long as it has given the lack of snow since the 20th. Temps have been warm enough to cause a little melting/compaction, but due to the very low ratio of snow that fell that day it has maintained a lot better than what you'd normally expect.

Oh yeah Happy New Years everyone!

January of '07 was terrible, only 3" of snow that month here and temps were 5 degrees higher than average. I would not like that at all

SSW's always take a few weeks to get the full effects. I'd take Feb '07 any day.

And unofficially it looks as if KTOL will finish with 7.0" of snow even after being screwed by a major storm. 2.8" marks the highest 1-day total which occurred twice this month (26th and 29th). Even after a horrible start, along with temperature departures near +5F, this month, all things considered, wasn't horrible. It could've been much better, but 7" in the week and a half made things bearable.

+6.02° for December here. For S&G I calculated what would be the monthly departure w/o those first 4 mega torch days; it was: +4.31°. So those first 4 days of the month added over 2° to the departure.

3.3" of snow, 3.15" of rain.

December was one cloudy month too; 23 days mostly to completely cloudy.

Highest temp: 68°, lowest: 11°.

SSW's always take a few weeks to get the full effects. I'd take Feb '07 any day.

And unofficially it looks as if KTOL will finish with 7.0" of snow even after being screwed by a major storm. 2.8" marks the highest 1-day total which occurred twice this month (26th and 29th). Even after a horrible start, along with temperature departures near +5F, this month, all things considered, wasn't horrible. It could've been much better, but 7" in the week and a half made things bearable.

Oh the month I'll never forget is January '09. I actually kept track of how many days of school I missed, we had 6 days closed and 5 more delayed! We actually had less normal days that month than delayed or closed ones. Ended with 31" at my house in that month alone

With a mean temp of 35.9F, Detroit tied (with 1965) for the 9th warmest December on record. This December was actually 0.4F warmer than last December!

However, winter basically set in, literally, on the Winter Solstice so the warmth was certainly a product of the first 3 weeks of December. In fact, the last 10 days of December averaged ever-so-slightly colder than normal.

Whats very interesting is that the snowfall total of 10.6" is not only 1 inch above normal for the month, but the snowiest of any of the 20 warmest Decembers. In fact, other than 2012, only 1994 (9.6"), which was the 15th warmest, had near-average snowfall. All others had less than 6" of snow!

It's interesting how in the U.S. you guys draw on temperature records from the 19th century. Although such data does exist for Canadian cities like Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal they are almost never referred to in the newspapers or on our weather channel; they always just use the airports, data for which only goes back to the late 30s/early 40s.

Looks like December 1923 was Toronto's warmest, although take a look at December 1877. Wow, you can't get worse than this!!

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=ONT&StationID=5051&mlyRange=1840-01-01|2006-12-01&cmdB1=Go&Month=12&Year=1877&Day=-20

1877-78 is quite famous as being the "year without a winter". Google it and you should find some good stuff.

Detroit had a 15.7" snowstorm at the end of January in this mild winter. Would really put to the test the assertion by some that if they get a major storm they wouldnt care how much the rest of the winter sucked.

It's interesting how in the U.S. you guys draw on temperature records from the 19th century. Although such data does exist for Canadian cities like Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal they are almost never referred to in the newspapers or on our weather channel; they always just use the airports, data for which only goes back to the late 30s/early 40s.

I like using temp records as far back as they go. It shows nice cycles...for instance the 1930s-1950s seemed to be a warm cycle (particularly 1930s and 1950s), and the 1960s-1980s a cold cycle (particularly 1970s)

1877-78 is quite famous as being the "year without a winter". Google it and you should find some good stuff.

Detroit had a 15.7" snowstorm at the end of January in this mild winter. Would really put to the test the assertion by some that if they get a major storm they wouldnt care how much the rest of the winter sucked.

Really interesting how the coldest ever December (1876) was followed by the torch December of 1877. December 1876 beat out even 1917 and 1989 in Toronto.

Archived