joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2012 General Discussion

Guru Of Reason

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The questions as we head towards December seem to be....how impressive will the mild air to start the month be...how long will it last....and will the pattern change advertized around Dec 10th work out? Also...by pattern, or regime, change...it means something set to stay for a while. Not at all that someone cant or wont see a snowfall before that change happens.

Warm temps in early Dec always remind me of '98. I think we hit the 70s 2-3 days in a row early on in that Dec. If this torch overachieves maybe we can do the same.

If you can guarantee me a repeat of the first two weeks of January 1999, then I say let's do this current December...1998 style. Of course looking ahead, I'm going to need to replace February 1999 with something else...but definitely keep March 1999. :D

The questions as we head towards December seem to be....how impressive will the mild air to start the month be...how long will it last....and will the pattern change advertized around Dec 10th work out? Also...by pattern, or regime, change...it means something set to stay for a while. Not at all that someone cant or wont see a snowfall before that change happens.

One THING we DO know. Winter IS coming!

One THING we DO know. Winter IS coming!

Exactly. Since precip is NEVER reliable on LR models, we look at them for pattern trends. In November, to get snow, you need a colder than normal pattern. Seasonable temps will NOT do the trick. So you want to see it as troughy as possible over you, and hope the snow will come (we got the trough in Nov, but the snow, at least meaningful snow, did NOT come). As the averages continue to drop as we head towards the winter solstice, we no longer need to have that colder than normal weather to snow by mid-December or so. We just need to get some seasonable temps (though colder is always better) to combine with a more active weather pattern, and voila!

Based on the general trend of the GFS Ensembles for 12z, looks like a decent storm will bring in some cold air mid week next week. I don't know if this will bring about a pattern change or just a short term cooldown, but climo should be on our side for the arrival of some consistently colder, and who knows, maybe snowier, conditions.

FWIW Skilling mentioned late next week/next weekend could finally bring about a pattern change that could yield some measurable snow beyond that. You'd have to think that with so much widespread warmth next week that whenever a decent shot of cold air digs in it should spin up a pretty good storm. We'll see.

Agree very much, it isn't too often you get +10c air at 850mb up to this part of the country at this time of the year.

It's ridiculous. :lol: It probably won't have much in the way of instability, but looks to have dynamics. But a bit of good news for winter lovers, right after this system moves out, the GFS hints at polar air pooling right in the US, associated with a clipper/hooker type storm. But of course, not to be taken seriously. Especially considering what's been said in the long range thread, that cool air like this doesn't look to come until around mid December.

Overall, for what it's worth, snow lovers should really like what happens after that system moves through in the 00z GFS.

ORD: 8.5" Under

DTW: 9.7" Under

IND: 6.9" Under

MKE: 10.6" Over

STL: 4.4" Under

Toronto Downtown: 12.7" Under

Reasoning for each:

Alek says it may not snow at all in Chicago this winter. I'm convinced.

Gut feeling, but it's close. They finish at 9.6".

A terrible snow town.

BowMe has had a good attitude towards the slow start. He gets rewarded. And I have a bet to win. 6.7" on Christmas Eve as a bonus call.

When's the last time it snowed in St. Louis, 2010?

T Blizzard has cancelled December 22 times on this board already.

ORD: 8.5" Under

DTW: 9.7" Under

IND: 6.9" Under

MKE: 10.6" Over

STL: 4.4" Under

Toronto Downtown: 12.7" Under

Reasoning for each:

Alek says it may not snow at all in Chicago this winter. I'm convinced.

Gut feeling, but it's close. They finish at 9.6".

A terrible snow town.

BowMe has had a good attitude towards the slow start. He gets rewarded. And I have a bet to win. 6.7" on Christmas Eve as a bonus call.

When's the last time it snowed in St. Louis, 2010?

T Blizzard has cancelled December 22 times on this board already.

:lmao: :lmao: I'm thinking Toronto may see around 6" of snow in December.

Archived