• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2012 General Discussion

Guru Of Reason

LAF has hit 70 in December only 4 times so it would be rare.

73 12/2/1982

72 12/6/1998

70 12/3/1982, 12/10/1971

The nearby COOP which has records back to 1901 has only done it 3 times.

I have the old WL COOP data back to 1887. December 1889 is the warmest December on record there. No 70s, but eight days in the 60s, including a 68 on 12/28.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the old WL COOP data back to 1887. December 1889 is the warmest December on record there. No 70s, but eight days in the 60s, including a 68 on 12/28.

I keep forgetting about that pre 1900 stuff. I think I have it somewhere.

I ran a composite for 12/10/1971, 12/2/1982 and 12/6/1998 (left 12/3/1982 out since it was a midnight high following the 73 on 12/2) and the composite 925/850 mb temps are a bit warmer than a model average of what's being progged for Monday.

I felt bad for Josh after this one. That storm made for an awesome New years.

:lmao: the weekly bringing up of the Jan 1, 2008 storm! If the storm tracked further southeast (and everything else that winter went as it did) I could have had an unprecedented 90-inch winter. I drove out to Saline for the day to enjoy the snow. The fact that the most ridiculous screwjob Ive ever seen came in one of the best snowstorm winters Ive seen is totally fine. Had it came in almost any other winter it would have stung much more. Its just funny because it gets brought up SO often because it was special to you guys NW of Detroit, its like oh no not that again! I can name about 10 more memorable storms that winter for mby :lol:. Never in my life have I seen the intense thundersnow like I saw 2 months later on Mar 4, 2008 (Feb 20, 2011 a close 2nd), but no one remembers THAT because only far eastern MI had the thundersnow and 10-11" of snow (for everyone else it was like a run of the mill 4-8" storm).

I keep forgetting about that pre 1900 stuff. I think I have it somewhere.

I ran a composite for 12/10/1971, 12/2/1982 and 12/6/1998 (left 12/3/1982 out since it was a midnight high following the 73 on 12/2) and the composite 925/850 mb temps are a bit warmer than a model average of what's being progged for Monday.

I am not expecting 70, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did. With the clouds progged to be around, it will be a stretch. If ever get time, I would like to go back through the rest of the COOP records I found. The books went from 1887 to around 1925 and had lots of interesting notes. There were also some small notebooks with scattered records going back to 1880, when the site was started.

I believe you. I could probably mow , but am not going to do it.

I remember mowing in December, 2006 though. I think it was the only time I've mowed in December.

The grass hasnt been growing for a long time. Its just whenever one decides to do the final mow. Its really more a sub-concious thing like "oh my god Im going to mow grass at the end of November or beginning of December, thats not right." When in reality, any year, I dont care if its 1940 or 2012, where there is not snow on the ground December 1st (which is more often than not), you could mow, regardless of the weather or how long ago the growing season has stopped.

58 and windows open.. . guess there is nothing to do but enjoy it and try to avoid the masses gushing over this.

Hey, the GFS has consistently put our region in a favorable spot for some good winter storm action next weekend into the following week. At least we shouldn't have too many people continuing to gush for much longer. At the least, it should get plenty colder, and maybe snowy, and we will have the next laugh in a week or two hopefully.

My lawn has been dormant for the most part during all of November. Spots could need a cut, but I don't plan to touch it until spring.

GOAK low is likely to get booted out of there by the ridging to the south and west. 240 hours is fantasy land imo.

Someone in the midwest is going to get a storm next weekend. The 18Z GFS shows it affecting 75% of the regional sub-forum. There is another storm 2 days later.... Yea, my interest is perked. This is following up with an EPIC lake effect event.

This is the kind of stuff we live for folks.

While we're talking about past snow storms, while not technically all of December, some of this snow fell on the eve. I, of course missed most of it as the rain/snow line was right over me.

snow200801021003.png

As bad as the NW trend with the GHD storm was (was potentially talking about at least at widespread 12-18" of snow the day before versus the 6-10" of snow we actually saw), THAT one in the map above was just plain awful. I'll never get over it.

Although to be fair, the one hour of steady snow I did see featured some of the heaviest snowfall rates I've ever seen.

And fortunately, The surprise 4-5" in 2-3 hours on February 5th-6th, 2008 (mostly thanks to 2-2.5" per hour rates) made up for 1/1/2008 somewhat. March 4th-5th also somewhat made up for 1/1/2008, as the areas that go screwed on New Years 2008 were the areas who picked up the heaviest snows while the areas who picked up the heaviest snows on New Years 2008 received close to nada.

snow200802071417.png

snow200803051121.png

Crazy warm outside for this time of year right now. About 55°F with showers and thunderstorms moving in from the west. Feels like mid april!

While we're talking about past snow storms, while not technically all of December, some of this snow fell on the eve. I, of course missed most of it as the rain/snow line was right over me.

snow200801021003.png

One of the most frustrating nights, meteorologically speaking, of my life. 33°F with monsterous silver-dollar sized flakes all night, but barely a slushy coating ever accumulated before we got dry slotted while 40 miles north of me there was a foot and a half of snow. Insanely tight gradient. It looked ridiculous on radar too.

Hey, the GFS has consistently put our region in a favorable spot for some good winter storm action next weekend into the following week. At least we shouldn't have too many people continuing to gush for much longer. At the least, it should get plenty colder, and maybe snowy, and we will have the next laugh in a week or two hopefully.

I'm still of the opinion we'll have to take a rain or slop at best storm storm or two at first if something decent does develop and wants to cut in the next 10 days or so.. after that who knows.. Until it shows me it can get again get precip in here I'm about as high on this december as a kite in calm winds.

Heck give me cold rain even before things maybe become more favorable, at least it would maybe cool off the sauna a tiny bit.

I am not expecting 70, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did. With the clouds progged to be around, it will be a stretch. If ever get time, I would like to go back through the rest of the COOP records I found. The books went from 1887 to around 1925 and had lots of interesting notes. There were also some small notebooks with scattered records going back to 1880, when the site was started.

I've been researching a lot of old events during this boring stretch and found that Lafayette got down to -33 in January 1885 and January 1887. Pretty impressive stuff.

0z MET has 71 and MEX has 69 for Monday.

Archived