Guru Of Reason

ORD: 8.5" Under

DTW: 9.7" Under

IND: 6.9" Under

MKE: 10.6" Over

STL: 4.4" Under

Toronto Downtown: 12.7" Under

Reasoning for each:

Alek says it may not snow at all in Chicago this winter. I'm convinced.

Gut feeling, but it's close. They finish at 9.6".

A terrible snow town.

BowMe has had a good attitude towards the slow start. He gets rewarded. And I have a bet to win. 6.7" on Christmas Eve as a bonus call.

When's the last time it snowed in St. Louis, 2010?

T Blizzard has cancelled December 22 times on this board already.

only 22 times :lol:

I would survive with 9.6" lol.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was thinking about how snow really does rule most of our roosts here (save for the tropicals of the world). Last November DTW saw 0.6" of snow (Nov 30th). This Nov they saw 0.4" (0.1" on 23rd, 0.3" on 25th). So some may say "this reminds me of last year". Never mind this Nov was about 7F colder and saw well over 5" less of precip :lol: (Shall I mention, in 2010 just a T of snow fell in Nov...do you think anyone remembered that 70" later in April? ;) ).

What Im getting at....As much as we all love the weather for all its aspects, you know snow is THE determining factor for how a month is remembered, not temps. For instance, and you can insert your own airport code lol...lets say DTW finished Dec with a departure of +1F and just 4" of snow we will hear how it was a sorta torchy non-wintry month. If DTW finishes at +1F but with 15" of snow we will hear how it was a seasonable month with some good snow. If DTW finishes at -4F and just 4" of snow, we will hear it was kinda cold but dry hell. If DTW finished at -2F and 15" of snow we will hear it was a very cold, snowy month.

ORD: 8.5" Under

DTW: 9.7" Under

IND: 6.9" Under

MKE: 10.6" Over

STL: 4.4" Under

Toronto Downtown: 12.7" Under

Reasoning for each:

Alek says it may not snow at all in Chicago this winter. I'm convinced.

Gut feeling, but it's close. They finish at 9.6".

A terrible snow town.

BowMe has had a good attitude towards the slow start. He gets rewarded. And I have a bet to win. 6.7" on Christmas Eve as a bonus call.

When's the last time it snowed in St. Louis, 2010?

T Blizzard has cancelled December 22 times on this board already.

:wub:

First half of the way to Christmas doesn't have me too excited for much frozen precip here. Probably going to have to take a few rain/mix events before things hopefully become more favorable sub-forum wide.. Maybe an area not up north can thread the needle and score something though.

As for the 6.7" on Christmas Eve...I love your optimism but it just doesn't want to snow much here on the 24th or 25th.. I can't remember one christmas eve or day that my dad has had to work extended hrs removing snow at the airport. 2008 was a close call but the snow ended early enough on christmas eve where it didn't interfere with xmas eve party.. Combining all the snows on the 24th/25th and I don't even know if it would add up to 6.7" in the last 20 or so yrs.

Nasty looking CFS for December...of course it is for the entire month and the weeklies that were run recently did look cooler for the 2nd half. Still at some point you have to wonder if the positive departures that are racked up early on may be too difficult to overcome. Given that the Oct 30 outlook for November did ok with the general layout it will be interesting to see what happens. Anything less than most of the country being in positive territory would not be a very good outlook.

Nasty looking CFS for December...of course it is for the entire month and the weeklies that were run recently did look cooler for the 2nd half. Still at some point you have to wonder if the positive departures that are racked up early on may be too difficult to overcome. Given that the Oct 30 outlook for November did ok with the general layout it will be interesting to see what happens. Anything less than most of the country being in positive territory would not be a very good outlook.

The departures could be tainted by the mild spell that is yet to come.

216 on the 12z EURO

f216.gif

Just need that Pacific ridge to poke further north into the GOA/AK, and this'd be a decent shot of a winter storm with that l/w trough being carved out in the plains. As it is verbatim, it'll likely be warm. Probably doesn't serve too much of a purpose to excessively analysis a EURO plot that's going to change 100 times, but since the other two storms/FROPAs next week are almost certainly going to be warm for most of us, it's tough not to look ahead a bit.

ORD: 8.5" under

DTW: 9.7" within 0.5"

IND: 6.9" under

MKE: 10.6" over

STL: 4.4" under

Toronto Downtown: 12.7" over

I think December will be below normal in our northern subforum and above normal south of I-70 roughly. Those CFS monthly outlooks have been "off" for awhile now.

Crap, sorry...those were my predictions. :D

How about just using the normal Dec snowfall for a few sites?

ORD: 8.5" OVER

DTW: 9.7" UNDER

IND: 6.9" UNDER

MKE: 10.6" OVER

STL: 4.4" UNDER

Toronto Downtown: 12.7" UNDER

I'm going to go with a gradient like pattern that sets up on the periphery of the snowcover. Thus, areas to the N & W cash in.

And the final verdict? Torch!

CFSv2.NaT2m.20121030.201211.gif

the CFS was much too warm for the eastern third of the nation

post-276-0-62009500-1354304023_thumb.png

the CFS was much too warm for the eastern third of the nation

Yes, but the general idea of coolest anomalies in the Mid Atlantic/Southeast with much of the western/central US above average was correct. The Dec run has coast to coast warmth...if like 75% of the country ends up + then I'd consider it a pretty good success. We'll see what happens.

Oakland County was the only county in the Detroit area to be under a WSWatch. It was a big miss. I recall 2-3" before the rain/dry slot came in. But not 100% sure.

That storm had the biggest NW trend ever. Even the day of the event, we had a Winter Storm Warning for 4-7 inches of snow. We ended up with a little sleet that turned to rain with a temp in the low 40s. The wind turned SW so the low must have went west of here which is amazing considering the forecast just a day or so earlier.

Happy 4th Birthday! 11/30-12/1 2008 DOB

snow200812011456.png

LOCATION SNOWFALL DURATION

(INCHES) (HOURS) LAT LON

...GENESEE COUNTY...

FLINT M 4.2 18 43.02N 83.69W

LINDEN M 5.0 18 42.82N 83.78W

...LAPEER COUNTY...

NORTH BRANCH M 4.0 20 43.23N 83.19W

LUM M 5.4 18 43.10N 83.15W

...LIVINGSTON COUNTY...

HOWELL M 5.4 18 42.61N 83.94W

...MIDLAND COUNTY...

MIDLAND M 4.2 18 43.62N 84.23W

...OAKLAND COUNTY...

FARMINGTON HILLS M 1.8 18 42.49N 83.38W

MILFORD M 3.7 18 42.59N 83.60W

HOLLY M 4.0 18 42.80N 83.62W

WHITE LAKE M 5.4 18 42.65N 83.50W

ORTONVILLE M 6.3 18 42.85N 83.44W

...SAGINAW COUNTY...

SAGINAW M 4.0 18 43.42N 83.95W

9 W SAGINAW M 5.2 18 43.42N 84.13W

5 W CHESANING M 7.0 20 43.18N 84.22W

...SANILAC COUNTY...

DECKERVILLE M 4.0 18 43.53N 82.74W

BROWN CITY M 6.1 20 43.21N 82.99W

MARLETTE M 8.6 20 43.33N 83.08W

...SHIAWASSEE COUNTY...

CORUNNA M 5.0 15 42.98N 84.12W

OWOSSO M 5.8 20 43.00N 84.18W

PERRY M 6.0 15 42.82N 84.23W

...TUSCOLA COUNTY...

FAIRGROVE M 4.0 15 43.52N 83.54W

...WASHTENAW COUNTY...

ANN ARBOR M 2.6 18 42.28N 83.73W

I do have a photo! Good Ole Lake Orion. (SEMI's Snowbelt) Awesome Storm about 5-6" worth

2.jpg

Archived