• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Tidbits and teasers from the web

POWERSTROKE

Nobody in the right mind should be making a landfall prediction a week out without the cone of uncertainty.

I am pretty sure independent mets take in consideration of what the NHC has to say too. I would hope so, even in the case of JB.

There is plenty of room for the NHC to really screw up...aka the above mentioned Debby. We did not see the cone undergo dramatic shifts with Sandy.

My point is NHC didn't hook until Oct 24th, Advisory #10 at 5pm. But I agree about Debby, they screwed that one up!

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to go on the record here...neither me or Powerstroke back tracked to the Caribbean. That was Jon and our mod.

I was very aware of the beginning...but I only responded to Powerstroke's original 3 day to landfall discussion...which both JB and the NHC did very well.

Half the things being said here are actually not opinions...they are facts. As they should be, Hurricane Sandy is gone.

It's probably a good time to end the Sandy discussion. Go back to the tidbits and teases from JB...its probably what the lurkers want.

Just to go on the record here...neither me or Powerstroke back tracked to the Caribbean. That was Jon and our mod.

I was very aware of the beginning...but I only responded to Powerstroke's original 3 day to landfall discussion...which both JB and the NHC did very well.

Half the things being said here are actually not opinions...they are facts. As they should be, Hurricane Sandy is gone.

It's probably a good time to end the Sandy discussion. Go back to the tidbits and teases from JB...its probably what the lurkers want.

I agree with ya. :pimp:

I very much appreciate all of the postings here, including those from JB, and encourage that they continue. They are definitely of value to me and probably many here. However, I don't know...the optimism as a whole just doesn't seem to jibe with the overall picture to this point because of the really doodooey Pacific. It might actually be refreshing to see a few more pessimistic tidbits focusing on the Pacific as a major factor that won't necessarily be dominated by the -NAO/-AO. The problem with JB is that getting him to admit that now is more difficult than getting Brick to be happy with no snow or getting me to give up ice cream or walking. Also, keep in mind that JB doesn't at all focus on the SE US. He tends to be more NE and maybe even more Midwest/Plains centric.

I very much appreciate all of the postings here, including those from JB, and encourage that they continue. They are definitely of value to me and probably many here. However, I don't know...the optimism as a whole just doesn't seem to jibe with the overall picture to this point because of the really doodooey Pacific. It might actually be refreshing to see a few more pessimistic tidbits focusing on the Pacific as a major factor that won't necessarily be dominated by the -NAO/-AO. The problem with JB is that getting him to admit that now is more difficult than getting Brick to be happy with no snow or getting me to give up ice cream or walking. Also, kepe in mind that JB doesn't at all focus on the SE US. He tends to be more NE and maybe even more Midwest/Plains centric.

I got my head bit off for saying that a while back...

But I agree. It appears the entire South-East is flat to him. That, or he does not have time to mention western NC. I don't blame him tho, you know he has more paid viewers from the north-east region.

FWIW JB as of 11:30 this morning still on board for COLD mid Dec-mid Jan!!!! guess we'll see!

I'm happy JB's comments are posted and appreciate them fully. However, I do have to ask. Cold where? If that's all he said, it is not specific. Regardless, I suspect he's at least not concentrating on the SE with these types of statements. He normally concentrates on areas NE, N, and NW of NC. The Plains, Midwest, and/or the NE can be cold and the SE US not of course. If that were to verify, he could say he was right. I do think the SE US gets much closer to normal..that would be a good cooldown as it stands.

JB knows Western NC well. He was on WSJS every morning for several years. I feel strongly his lack of focus on this area is purely economic. Nothing wrong with that.

And it could be because the "snow" we get down here, is sort of rare, and is pidgeon droppings compared to say, Buffalo, lol. Though I never hear him, or any of them, going on about how delightfully warm it is in Ga. this time of year... the snowbirds seem to find the place anyway :) I think the generally accepted thinking up there, is winter ain't squat down here, lol. T

And it could be because the "snow" we get down here, is sort of rare, and is pidgeon droppings compared to say, Buffalo, lol. Though I never hear him, or any of them, going on about how delightfully warm it is in Ga. this time of year... the snowbirds seem to find the place anyway :)I think the generally accepted thinking up there, is winter ain't squat down here, lol. T

Pretty much. I think, as far as this year goes, they will be correct.

FWIW JB as of 11:30 this morning still on board for COLD mid Dec-mid Jan!!!! guess we'll see!

As of 2:36 this afternoon JB is still wrong but hopes by moving the goalposts out 2-3 weeks and not giving a region that will get cold that he can claim victory. If it is going to be cold somewhere in the next month which happens to coincide with the heart of winter he can claim victory. He called for a cold december now let's push it back two weeks and if that doesn't work out I predict he calls for a fab feb.

He will likely be right. Won't take much to get us out of the upper 60s and 70s going into the heart of winter. I think by then, we could possibly get back to seasonable or just mild temps.

I agree, the cold probably want make down here... like you said maybe normal? but the maps he shows looks to me like it includes the se??? he's got a lot of models and mets that totally disagree wirh him! I hope he's right, but I'm certainly not looking for it to be real cold around here...

As of 2:36 this afternoon JB is still wrong but hopes by moving the goalposts out 2-3 weeks and not giving a region that will get cold that he can claim victory. If it is going to be cold somewhere in the next month which happens to coincide with the heart of winter he can claim victory. He called for a cold december now let's push it back two weeks and if that doesn't work out I predict he calls for a fab feb.

yeah looks like a fab February is all we got to look forward to! Lol

Sigh...looks like the cross country skis will stay in the rack and instead hiking treking polls will be in use thi winter. Heck...maybe I should mount the cross country skis on the wall like a novelty decorative item.

Dagblammitt.....I swear I can't take another winter of no winter like last year.

I felt this season playing out this way when up to 2 feet of elevation snow fell in the late October storm....what a precursor to what looks like winter fail.

Archived