Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Son of Sandy Observations/ Nowcast Nov 6/7

Baroclinic Zone

sorry, its weird.

We'll just have to disagree...I know many members on here have gone to neighboring towns to check snowfall. Will goes to Weenie Ridge, I drive through the mountains, Ryan brings live TV trucks with him...40/70 always talks about a storm where the PNS said 3 feet in the next town while he had a foot and he had to drive there to believe it....

If you are telling me you didn't drive around after Sandy to check out other neighboring towns? What about chasing severe storms? Someone says they have lots of trees down, you've got Wiz in your yard an hour later...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove up to Princeton on Feb 27th 2010 to see if they actually got 10" of snow. I had 3" in my backyard. Hubbdave, subdude and a poster from Royalston all reported huge totals. I didn't necessarily think they were wrong, but I had to see it for myself. I was just amazed it could have been that much more snow so close to me. Sure enough as I drove through Holden on the north side near the Princeton line the snow just got exponentially deeper.

I drove up to Princeton on Feb 27th 2010 to see if they actually got 10" of snow. I had 3" in my backyard. Hubbdave, subdude and a poster from Royalston all reported huge totals. I didn't necessarily think they were wrong, but I had to see it for myself. I was just amazed it could have been that much more snow so close to me. Sure enough as I drove through Holden on the north side near the Princeton line the snow just got exponentially deeper.

We all do it it the next town over has much bigger snow totals... I really don't see the issue.

I have no idea where Ct Blizz lives nor do I care in the least. I just drove up Paulk hill in Tolland which is the closest mountain in that town to my house after mailing some items at the Tolland post office. There did not appear to be more snow there than where I live, end of story.

The issue with this storm is the time of year. BDR got 8 inches....we certainly did not have 8 inches on the ground at any one time...b/w warm ground and compaction from the wet snow, it was more like 4 or 5....today we're down to 2 at best. So if you drove up there today, it's likely alot less than Kevin saw last night or this morning...just my 2 cents

If someone was coming into my yard or in front of my house who I didn't invite or know, then I'd think that was weird. I'd come out with a shotgun or something, lol.

But driving to nearby areas to see differences in snowfall isn't weird to me. Probably because I have done it.

The issue with this storm is the time of year. BDR got 8 inches....we certainly did not have 8 inches on the ground at any one time...b/w warm ground and compaction from the wet snow, it was more like 4 or 5....today we're down to 2 at best. So if you drove up there today, it's likely alot less than Kevin saw last night or this morning...just my 2 cents

you have two inches of snow? seriously?

Yeah its a good point. I had 6.5" of snow, but I never had that as a snow depth. I measured 5.2" around midnight and then cleared. I had another 1.3" on there this morning but the snow depth around was more like 4.5-5" because the sleet...and just general compaction taking place. I'd be surprised if there is more than 4" of slab concrete back home right now after today's temps in the mid 30s with occasional sleet.

If someone had 9", I'd probably want to see at least 6" on the ground.

Messengers trip up and down the East Coast during one of our storms to verify reports will forever live in the history of this forum.

I remember that too and I'm not one of the main posters here!

I'll agree that I think we've all driven around to see the best snows. I have my own weenie spots that I'm always checking out, especially in spring to see the last of the snow.

we're on a south facing hill-so take that into account-we always melt faster here

agreed about measuring, lots of compaction, but my chairs and deck were pretty good at holding the snow, the streets this morning had about 3 grass much more and the back deck more than that, first light was beautiful! I am actually surprised its almost 3 pm and we have solid snow cover left, clouds helped out big time!

agreed about measuring, lots of compaction, but my chairs and deck were pretty good at holding the snow, the streets this morning had about 3 grass much more and the back deck more than that, first light was beautiful! I am actually surprised its almost 3 pm and we have solid snow cover left, clouds helped out big time!

clouds definitely helped. Tomorrow, it's all gone with full sun and 50 degrees plus+ and 3 days of 60+ will take care of most of the piles

Messengers trip up and down the East Coast during one of our storms to verify reports will forever live in the history of this forum.

I was just thinking of this. Are you referring to his trip out on rte. 6 of the cape to debunk Phil and his snow total claims - complete with photos at off ramps?

Sh*t was classic.

It was an amazing storm one I will never forget, coming so soon after Sandy and so early in the year shattering the all time November record. I was shocked to see there was a few inches on the deck after I had shoveled just before bed, but we had gone back over to all snow after mixing with sleet briefly and the radar had lit up around midnight. Awesome times.

post-865-0-16433300-1352405064_thumb.jpg

Haha but let's be honest, we've all gone on weenie drives to neighboring towns if they get crushed...who hasn't gone out driving to look for more snow, especially early in the season?

How many times have we heard..."I just took a drive to X-location to see and they are getting hammered or got hammered."

Must be a VT thing............lol, Ah, The only time i am in someone else's town is if i am on a snowmobile, And unless its mud or bare ground i don't care what there is for snow, I have never drove to someone else's town to check out there snow, That would be the biggest waste of time and i have a lot better things to do............sled.gif

I thought it was the season of the M.A. monster winter.

Nope. It was the inverted trough event in early Jan 2011. It was actually a two part event...on Jan 6 we had the norlun trough hit CT and give some areas like 8-12". Then the next day had a more general inverted trough that favored central MA/E CT and then the Cape with a bit of a lesser area in between.

Messenger had called the storm a huge bust and then Phil woke up with over 5" of snow the next morning and bumped one of messenger's posts with a pic of his BY, lol. Then messenger went on "The Drive". Epic.

Must be a VT thing............lol, Ah, The only time i am in someone else's town is if i am on a snowmobile, And unless its mud or bare ground i don't care what there is for snow, I have never drove to someone else's town to check out there snow, That would be the biggest waste of time and i have a lot better things to do............sled.gif

My town is big enough and geographically diverse enough tget a good feel for snowfall by driving around. Sometimes I'll drive up some of the higher hills, especially in marginal temp events early in the year, just to see flakes. As soon as the trails open I always make a point to drive by any trail crossings to see who has groomed sled.gif

It was actually January 7th..not that anyone cares.

That event really refreshed my snowpack...we had 13" from the Boxing Day storm, but then the snowpack was down to about 4" after the New Year's torch. But the Jan 7 Norlun brought 5" of fresh snow to Dobbs Ferry, and then we picked up almost 15" in the 1/12 Nor'easter that rocked CT. What an epic stretch that was.

Archived