Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November obs and banter

Ian

39.96 N,76.73 W here

Now everyone on the board knows your precise address and can troll you in person. Good news is that you make the MA forum cutoff! Next snowstorm where the rain snowline sets up near the Mason Dixon line, 500 of your closest weenie friends you never knew you had from the south will be camped on your King street porch seeking safe harbor.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's a 51% chance we'll see more snow than last year. Remember 51% chance means 51% chance, I would never promise 2" in a season for DCA.

Pattern Is still shuffling. Blocking north of Siberia may teleconnect better with a troff over North America during the second half of winter making DC more likely to get their 2 hours of snow then. Siberian Blocking may also have moved the second half of winter, seems like there always a pattern change near Feb 1st.

CRAZYBLIZZARD

Yesterday, 02:23 PM

Yorkpa25, on 28 November 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

39.96 N,76.73 W here

Now everyone on the board knows your precise address and can troll you in person. Good news is that you make the MA forum cutoff! Next snowstorm where the rain snowline sets up near the Mason Dixon line, 500 of your closest weenie friends you never knew you had from the south will be camped on your King street porch seeking safe harbor.

Sorry if this reply is screwed up, doing it from my iPhone. Just wanted to say I don't think anybody should camp on my porch in this part of town.lol now switching to weather. Hopefully get a storm in here around the second week of December, enough to just finally coat the ground would be fantastic.

Totally ot but a friend of mine who lives in CO ski country texted me this am and said even the highest peaks are basically brown in sensible terms and the ski areas are sucking wind. This is pretty unusual for this time of year.

This is a shot from the top of Arapahoe Basin today. About 12,500' or so. Breckenridge is in the distance. Not looking good at all.

Totally ot but a friend of mine who lives in CO ski country texted me this am and said even the highest peaks are basically brown in sensible terms and the ski areas are sucking wind. This is pretty unusual for this time of year.

This is a shot from the top of Arapahoe Basin today. About 12,500' or so. Breckenridge is in the distance. Not looking good at all.

There really isn't much snow in the PacNW either. Only ~24" of snow on the ground at Paradise (Mt Rainer), which is quite low for them....

after last year they can't be too happy. still kinda early to write it all off tho. the west has certainly been doing better thus far but most of the big totals are confined to very high elevations (past base at many resorts).

after last year they can't be too happy. still kinda early to write it all off tho. the west has certainly been doing better thus far but most of the big totals are confined to very high elevations (past base at many resorts).

I think the big stream of moisture is well north of Co and is amied more like Idaho but even then the snow levels will probably be high.

Here's a scary thought...last October we had our biggest snowfall of the season in the MA and the winter was a snooze thereafter.

This year we have Sandy and WV gets clobbered with feet of snow. This trend spells DOOM for the MA this winter.

It is safe to say...snow lovers are going to have another fustrating winter.

Here's a scary thought...last October we had our biggest snowfall of the season in the MA and the winter was a snooze thereafter.

This year we have Sandy and WV gets clobbered with feet of snow. This trend spells DOOM for the MA this winter.

The "S" stands for Scientist, NO?

correlation does not imply causation

This prediction makes me feel really good about our snow chances this year.

Now that today's reading material has been consumed, I feel that I can reliably say that winter is over. Yes, yes, it is a record this year, canceled in November, but there really is no other alternative at this point.

Ian, please start the first severe weather thread (we can cancel it in February).

Now that today's reading material has been consumed, I feel that I can reliably say that winter is over. Yes, yes, it is a record this year, canceled in November, but there really is no other alternative at this point.

Ian, please start the first severe weather thread (we can cancel it in February).

and cancelled by someone other than Ji though Ji may have a better track record in forecasting winter weather.

It's a really unusual start. North and ncentral co rockies are typically dry to very dry during nino years because early storms track the 4 corners and the sw mountains eat up all the moisture. But the sw resorts are dry as a bone too so far. This is a particularly bad start for the whole state and last year was one of the worst in many years. Almost all the bases are above 9k feet too so it doesn't rain past mid Nov on pretty much all the resorts. It's just flat out dry out there.

Like Wes said, northern areas like the pac nw and even over to the tetons have done ok but Jackson Hole only has a 35" base and almost no terrain open. I'm sure things will change but xmas week is one of the most important weeks in CO. I hope it changes for them soon.

Archived