Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
November Banter and non-weather Discussions

WilkesboroDude

Random thoughts:

Why is it that anytime anyone mentions JB, people feel compelled to come out of the woodwork to voice their disagreements with him? I guess it's not possible to shut up and let those that want to discuss him and hear his thoughts do so without jumping in with some sort of counter argument.

I like the old days when mets used to commonly post in these forums. Now, you have to go all kinds of other places, and in some cases pay to get their perspectives. I totally understand why this is the case, but selfishly, I liked it better when everyone posted here.

I'm not sure what we expect anymore from a Winter pattern. It's like we see a potential pattern shaping up and you get one group of people going gung-ho on how awesome it is and then another group trying to pick it apart or cliff-diving because it's not perfect or doesn't show signs of locking in all Winter. I don't remember, ever, a pattern that locked in cold with a snowstorm per week all Winter long...not ever...not for our area.

I think we all need to remember that the best of patterns can conjure nothing. On the other hand, even in the midst of a crappy pattern, we can score big time. Such is life in the SE. Either way, Nino or no Nino, -PDO or +PDO, blocking or no blocking, the odds are strongly against another wall to wall dumpster fire of a Winter like we had last year. And THAT is the most important thing at this point.

On another note, I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving. Even though we may not always agree with each other's thoughts, this is a great community with many valuable perspectives, and I greatly enjoy being a part of it.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what we expect anymore from a Winter pattern. It's like we see a potential pattern shaping up and you get one group of people going gung-ho on how awesome it is and then another group trying to pick it apart or cliff-diving because it's not perfect or doesn't show signs of locking in all Winter. I don't remember, ever, a pattern that locked in cold with a snowstorm per week all Winter long...not ever...not for our area.

A most excellent random thought...and your follow up hit the nail on the head...We just have to keep watching the models for that once or twice a winter (for most of us outside the mountains) then hope everything comes together correctly. Epic winters have left some of us high and dry....

A most excellent random thought...and your follow up hit the nail on the head...We just have to keep watching the models for that once or twice a winter (for most of us outside the mountains) then hope everything comes together correctly. Epic winters have left some of us high and dry....

I'll take that bow, Bob! One inch for the Christmas storm of Cold Rain's. Not complaining about that much though, as I'd never seen collecting snow on Xmas. The two winters recently where the Atl folks were covered up.... got the old dry slot down here...got one inch with the last one... at the very last minute as the system pulled away, and it was blown away within hours, while Atl had driving problems for days.

Of course I did well with the two spring Ull's that shafted N of Atl. Snow in spring though, I'd imagine, is about like kissing a pig. It's a kiss, and a novelty....but.....

I've seen maybe two feet of spring snow since I've lived down here, and I'd trade it all for 2 inches of sleet in Jan., when you can actually do something with it, lol.

What I'm hoping for is a nice big winter storm that gets us all, for once. It is no fun being the odd one out.... even when the ever necessary timing hits many, some get bashed. It's time to see Ga. get covered up from Rosie down the Delta. And most winters we never get more that 2 or 3 chances, and someone always gets shafted...most winters.

I hope we are into a 50 year cold cycle, so we can up our chances!! And the rest of the time. lets get some cold rain, at least. I'm way tired of rain drought, way above the snow drought. Give me a GOM low winter, and I'll take my chances with the cold, and timing. Some slowing moving 2 or 3 inchers, like the good old days :) Tony

I'll take that bow, Bob! One inch for the Christmas storm of Cold Rain's. Not complaining about that much though, as I'd never seen collecting snow on Xmas. The two winters recently where the Atl folks were covered up.... got the old dry slot down here...got one inch with the last one... at the very last minute as the system pulled away, and it was blown away within hours, while Atl had driving problems for days.

Of course I did well with the two spring Ull's that shafted N of Atl. Snow in spring though, I'd imagine, is about like kissing a pig. It's a kiss, and a novelty....but.....

I've seen maybe two feet of spring snow since I've lived down here, and I'd trade it all for 2 inches of sleet in Jan., when you can actually do something with it, lol.

What I'm hoping for is a nice big winter storm that gets us all, for once. It is no fun being the odd one out.... even when the ever necessary timing hits many, some get bashed. It's time to see Ga. get covered up from Rosie down the Delta. And most winters we never get more that 2 or 3 chances, and someone always gets shafted...most winters.

I hope we are into a 50 year cold cycle, so we can up our chances!! And the rest of the time. lets get some cold rain, at least. I'm way tired of rain drought, way above the snow drought. Give me a GOM low winter, and I'll take my chances with the cold, and timing. Some slowing moving 2 or 3 inchers, like the good old days :) Tony

Tony,

You're awesome and your posts always deliver. A+

Random thoughts:

Why is it that anytime anyone mentions JB, people feel compelled to come out of the woodwork to voice their disagreements with him? I guess it's not possible to shut up and let those that want to discuss him and hear his thoughts do so without jumping in with some sort of counter argument.

I like the old days when mets used to commonly post in these forums. Now, you have to go all kinds of other places, and in some cases pay to get their perspectives. I totally understand why this is the case, but selfishly, I liked it better when everyone posted here.

I think we all need to remember that the best of patterns can conjure nothing. On the other hand, even in the midst of a crappy pattern, we can score big time. Such is life in the SE. Either way, Nino or no Nino, -PDO or +PDO, blocking or no blocking, the odds are strongly against another wall to wall dumpster fire of a Winter like we had last year. And THAT is the most important thing at this point.

On another note, I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving. Even though we may not always agree with each other's thoughts, this is a great community with many valuable perspectives, and I greatly enjoy being a part of it.

It does seem less and less mets post here as time goes by. I hope it picks up in the winter if we get some real snow chances. I enjoy everyone's analysis, but it is like you said, some folks look at the models and see one thing, and others see something else. It's hard to really know what to believe sometimes. It's good to have mets here to shed some more light on things. And it seems most think the pattern is favorable for a good winter here, but we just have to be patient. That's hard to do, though, because we have had great patterns before and really got nothing more than average snow fall all winter, and sometimes nothing. It could be a great pattern, but it doesn't really matter if we just keep waiting and nothing materializes from it.

Random thoughts:

clap.gif I enjoyed the thoughts and agree 100%.

Random thoughts:

Agreed. Well said.

Just when I was itching to change my signature line, you delivered, sir! Thanks for hanging out with us, Tony, and sharing some of your wisdom.

post-1807-0-11909200-1353539345_thumb.pn

http://www.flightradar24.com/

Here's an awesome website I found this morning! Quite the sight... I can't wait to compare this to a typical day sometime next week. smile.png Maybe when I'm traveling up to BWI next Thursday! wink.png

Thanks for this CMan!! I've had more fun than a barrel of monkeys running outside to watch the plane I just saw coming on the site. Don't know why this appeals to me so, but I've always wondered where those planes were going...and now I know. And now I know the ones way up there are probably military like I thought. I wish they had it for satellites! I love watching those things too :) T

Not that this is scientific or anything but this hunting season we have killed a few deer and their coat is super thick this year. They have packed on alot more fat also so i'm not sure if thats a result of the good wet spring and plenty of food versus the drought stricken previous years. Either way the deer are fatter and have thicker coats this year compared to the last couple of years. Hoping this somehow means they were getting ready for a cold winter but maybe thats just my wishful thinking.

How long does he have to show before you're automatically declared the winner?

I never leave, but he's been suspended a few times and seems to grow incredibly frustrated with me in particular, and he does so quickly. It's like Frank Grimes and Homer Simpson. Soon enough, he'll touch the high voltage lines and die.

Duke basketball looking strong again this year: Champs of the "Battle 4 Atlantis!" I know...crazy name, but it had quite the strong field. Duke beat Minnesota, VCU, and #2 Louisville en route to victory. Other teams in the draw included Stanford, Memphis, and USC.

Bowl game for Duke football! In the coming years, that may not be quite as rare of a statement as it has been in the past. Coach Cutcliffe just signed a long-term extension. Exciting times ahead...

Go Blue Devils!

Duke basketball looking strong again this year: Champs of the "Battle 4 Atlantis!" I know...crazy name, but it had quite the strong field. Duke beat Minnesota, VCU, and #2 Louisville en route to victory. Other teams in the draw included Stanford, Memphis, and USC.

Bowl game for Duke football! In the coming years, that may not be quite as rare of a statement as it has been in the past. Coach Cutcliffe just signed a long-term extension. Exciting times ahead...

Go Blue Devils!

Ya I just posted in the sports forum. The Blue Devils looked very balanced and have great defense this year. The team does not even have everybody playing yet. We are going to be very deep by the end of the season.

A couple of questions that have been on my mind lately. The first is rather trivial, but it bugs me. The second is more weather-related.

1. Why are all the NWS forecast discussions written in all-caps? Isn't that supposed to indicate shouting in internet lingo? Now, some of you on here seem to be the shouting type, but your standard NWS forecaster doesn't fit the stereotype of one who simply yells everything they wanted to say. Thus, there must be some reason for this use of all-caps, but I can't figure out what it is. Maybe they're no good with grammar, punctuation, and capitalization so they just use caps to cover it up? That can't be it either, I don't think. Thoughts?

2. What is the CFS that some of you reference from time to time? Most recently, I saw this acronym used in a post in the JB forum. My best guess is Climate Forecasting System. Is that right? Who issues this model? Is it freely attainable or is it a proprietary product? What's its history of reliability as a forecast model?

Thanks.

A couple of questions that have been on my mind lately. The first is rather trivial, but it bugs me. The second is more weather-related.

1. Why are all the NWS forecast discussions written in all-caps? Isn't that supposed to indicate shouting in internet lingo? Now, some of you on here seem to be the shouting type, but your standard NWS forecaster doesn't fit the stereotype of one who simply yells everything they wanted to say. Thus, there must be some reason for this use of all-caps, but I can't figure out what it is. Maybe they're no good with grammar, punctuation, and capitalization so they just use caps to cover it up? That can't be it either, I don't think. Thoughts?

It probably dates from a time when data was transmitted as just letters and a few bits of punctuation, rather than the variety of characters we have now. Morse code, for example, doesn't distinguish letter casing, nor do some of the older computerized codes.

Archived