joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter and non-weather Discussions

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have information when the NWS web site will be restored? It has been down for around 5 days now. It is still operating ing 'backup mode' due to a 'communications failure'.

During this time, regular links to products from the local offices (GSP, Roanoke) are not available and instead basic generic forecast products are displayed.

There must not have been any HA backup available.

Example of now dead link:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/forecast/mtn/Grandfather.txt

SE'ers. I want to thank most of y'all for being better posters than this:

Here we go again. I have finally recovered my sleep from my intensive Sandy-tracking! I made over 600 posts on one forum for her.

Oh my god. It is developing in the NE Gulf of Mexico already at 72 hrs. This is horrendous. This is going to be extremely intense and has super storm written all over it, again.

About time!!! No more traveling to Jonesville or Mount Airy for me!

New movie theater, retail center planned

Plans for building a six-screen movie theater and new commercial complex in Wilkesboro were announced Thursday.

Two Rivers Cinema will feature the latest in digital movie technology, said Richard Johnson of Mount Airy, who will own and operate the business.

The theater will anchor the Shoppes of Two Rivers, a 22-acre, mixed use development planned just north of the intersection of Curtis Bridge Road and U.S. 421 Business. (The two rivers are the Yadkin and Reddies).

Cam Finley of Wilkesboro and North Wilkesboro-based Venture Properties currently own the acreage. Finley is leading the project, developing the 20,000-square-foot theater in the Shoppes of Two Rivers and leasing it to Johnson’s company.

Finley, a commercial real estate developer and partner in Venture Properties, said the new movie theater is scheduled to open by October 2013.

He said the majority of the former Northwest Plaza that includes the old Kmart building and two houses will be removed to make way for the Shoppes of Two Rivers, with a great deal of the materials being recycled.

Extensive grading will be involved to improve visibility and access for the development.

The building on the far eastern end, owned and occupied by Manzella Knitting, will remain. Great State Bank, Wash World and the Manzella building will be integrated into the development. The movie theater will be constructed upon a portion of land that the former Kmart currently occupies.

The Shoppes of Two Rivers will stretch to the intersection of Brickyard and Curtis Bridge roads with nearly 1/2 mile of road frontage on U.S. 421 Business and Curtis Bridge Road.

The main entrance will be at the existing traffic signal at Great State Bank and Arby’s. A new connector street will join the development From the main entrance to Brickyard Road, near it’s intersection of Curtis Bridge Road, across to a primary entrance to Lowe’s Companies Wilkesboro office complex.

A sign announcing the new theater went up Wednesday near the main entrance.

Finley said multiple additional land parcels will be prepared to accommodate restaurants, retail establishments, medical and professional offices and that a future phase may include multi-family housing and/or independent housing for seniors.

He said he has considered building a movie theater in the Wilkesboros for many years, keeping local dollars at home and eliminating over a million miles annually of traveling by Wilkes residents to out of town theatres.

“The addition of this first class, state of the industry, multi-plex theatre has been a community priority for many years. It’s an integral need for the quality of life for Wilkes Countians,” he said.

Johnson and Finley said they’ve been discussing the potential of the theatre for several years.

Johnson has been managing partner of the five-screen Starmount Crossing Cinema V since 1995, and he was managing partner of New Millennium Cinema LLC in Huntersville from 2000 to 2003.

“We know that Wilkes is a good market. It’s similar to the market in Jonesville and Mount Airy,” said Johnson. “The large chains want mega-plex theaters in big cities, while the independents take care of the small communities.”

He and his brother built the Mayberry Cinema triple screen theater in Mount Airy in 1981 and sold it in 1989. Johnson operated and was co-owner of the original, single screen Mayberry Cinema in the 1970s.

“The timing is very good with advancements in digital technology. We will get first-run movies due to these advancements, which are difficult to obtain with film copies,” said Johnson.

“With digital technology, the recording literally comes in on a hard drive. Therefore, the movie can be played on multiple screens at the same time. Movies made on film show wear and tear as they are played more, but not digital. The technician comes and sets it (the digital movie) up and it plays perfectly. It takes human error out.”

Johnson said the enhanced quality of digital technology is obvious in digital 3-D movies.

“This will enable us to get all of the first run movies,” Johnson added, especially movies released only in a digital format.

Although the Two Rivers Cinema will start out with six screens, said Johnson, the building will be enlarged to add another two screens if there is enough demand.

He said the six auditoriums combined will seat about 865 people, one at 265 seats, two at 150 seats each and three at 100 seats each.

“All will have stadium seating with high back rockers and wall to wall, ceiling to floor screens.” All of the screens will have 5.1 surround sound.

Johnson said the concession area will feature a large menu with hotdogs, pizza, coffee, tea and traditional offerings such as popcorn, candy and soft drinks. There will be a room by the lobby for private parties.

The Two Rivers Cinema will employ about 25-30 people, many part-time.

what do you guys think? Is this a decent deal? Looking to get a new station

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e73a77f90

I just bought this one last week for $279 @ http://www.ambientweather.com/da6250.html

Price is showing $355 but it should be $279 when you go to check out... If not call them and tell them it was $279 a couple days ago.... But shipping was $21 shipping on ebay may be cheaper?

I'm ready to track a winter storm. With not having anything to really track last winter, it's been too long. The holiday commercials really started this past weekend and it put me in that winter mode. Hopefully in a month we'll have something serious to start looking at.

I saw thin, wispy, brown "clouds" on the way home from work today. I wondered if it might be smoke from a fire. While the "clouds" were in the direction of pilot mountain, I'm skeptical as to how far away the smoke would be reaching at this time. What do you guys think? It's about 80-90 miles away.

my office is ten miles from it so we can see it good. i do know it was in winston yesterday as you could a solid trail of smoke back to pilot

Beautiful weather this weekend. Chilly in the mornings but warm and beautiful during the days with Carolina Blue skies!.

I was looking at Accusux earlier.They have ice in the morning for 11/21 and rain/snow in the morning for 11/28. lol

Thanksgiving week starting to show some grumblings, but lets face it, we're still a little over a month from tracking anything realistic from a climo perspective. With that being said, several of the GFS mems in fantasy range have a monster high to our north, not a true cold dome, but still impressive in squeezing out the heat via evap cooling. EC pretty consistent in popping a sts type thing off the Carolina coast 9-10 day, big block to the north, one would have to think it does not go ots, atleast initially. Meh

Archived