12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
November Banter and non-weather Discussions

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2. What is the CFS that some of you reference from time to time? Most recently, I saw this acronym used in a post in the JB forum. My best guess is Climate Forecasting System. Is that right? Who issues this model? Is it freely attainable or is it a proprietary product? What's its history of reliability as a forecast model?

Yes, it's the Climate Forecast System from NCEP. It's on version 2 now as version 1 was discontinued back in October. Here are some links:

http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/sweaver/cfs_fcst/

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/mchen/CFSv2FCST/monthly/

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/CFSv2/CFSv2seasonal.shtml

It probably dates from a time when data was transmitted as just letters and a few bits of punctuation, rather than the variety of characters we have now. Morse code, for example, doesn't distinguish letter casing, nor do some of the older computerized codes.

Makes sense. It's hard to instigate change when something's been done the same way for so long, but I think they could update their system with the advent of much greater technological resources today. Thanks for the response.

Yes, it's the Climate Forecast System from NCEP. It's on version 2 now as version 1 was discontinued back in October. Here are some links:

http://origin.cpc.nc...eaver/cfs_fcst/

http://www.cpc.ncep....v2FCST/monthly/

http://www.cpc.ncep....2seasonal.shtml

Great links and info. Thanks for the response, gentlemen.

Yay!!! Three more work days, after today, before I start my vacation! Can't wait! I'm flying in to BWI, road tripping with college buddies to Charlotte for the ACC Championship Game Saturday night, driving back up to DC, taking a bus to NYC to see the tree and city at Christmas time :D, bus back to DC, fly back to ATL on the 9th and go to work at 3AM the 10th. Here's hoping I see some snow while I'm up there!!!! snowwindow.gif

For those already getting worried about this winter, there are ways to experience a cold winter even if mother nature does not cooperate. I'll list a few of the more common ones.

Class one methods:

1. Tell your partner he/she is fat.

2. Don't pay your power bill.

3. Sell your car and buy a motorcycle.

Class two method for extreme situations only: (warning-this method has been known to produce life changing cold approaching absolute zero. Use at your own risk.)

1. While making passionate love to your partner, whisper that they are almost as good as their brother/sister. If they have no siblings the use of mother/father will have the same effect. ***

***If in the superior position this method has the side benefit of being a good training session for riding a mechanical bull.

For those already getting worried about this winter, there are ways to experience a cold winter even if mother nature does not cooperate. I'll list a few of the more common ones.

Class one methods:

1. Tell your partner he/she is fat.

2. Don't pay your power bill.

3. Sell your car and buy a motorcycle.

Class two method for extreme situations only: (warning-this method has been known to produce life changing cold approaching absolute zero. Use at your own risk.)

1. While making passionate love to your partner, whisper that they are almost as good as their brother/sister. If they have no siblings the use of mother/father will have the same effect. ***

***If in the superior position this method has the side benefit of being a good training session for riding a mechanical bull.

#2 definately works for cold.

Can any of you cliff diving, doom and gloomers list how many winter events we've gotten to track before Christmas outside the mtns..over the last 5 years? Bet you can count on one hand. If there'd more than that please list them for me.

I personally dont get it! Ive never expected much more than some cold nights and frost before late December. And very rarely have ever seen more than that. Thats normal for Upstate SC and NE Ga to me. Is it that outside the mtns of NC gets more snow in December than I remember?

Help me understand some of the ridiculousness and kid-like behavior Im reading on here daily.

Thanks in advance!

Can any of you cliff diving, doom and gloomers list how many winter events we've gotten to track before Christmas outside the mtns..over the last 5 years? Bet you can count on one hand. If there'd more than that please list them for me.

I personally dont get it! Ive never expected much more than some cold nights and frost before late December. And very rarely have ever seen more than that. Thats normal for Upstate SC and NE Ga to me. Is it that outside the mtns of NC gets more snow in December than I remember?

Help me understand some of the ridiculousness and kid-like behavior Im reading on here daily.

Thanks in advance!

The upcoming warmth does not bid well w/ their holiday moods...

I might have an unpopular opinion here...but I think any winter pattern will hold off until sometime after Christmas.

I hope the ACC can layeth the smacketh down on the Big Ten when all is said and done this year. So far, NCSU, UNC, and FSU have not done a good job of that. Right now, Miami is up and Clemson is down. I think UNC will improve and be a good team by the end of the year, though they got rolled last night. My Wolfpack need to D it up a little bit and learn how to not foul so much. If they do that, they should finish in the top 3 in the conference.

I hope the ACC can layeth the smacketh down on the Big Ten when all is said and done this year. So far, NCSU, UNC, and FSU have not done a good job of that. Right now, Miami is up and Clemson is down. I think UNC will improve and be a good team by the end of the year, though they got rolled last night. My Wolfpack need to D it up a little bit and learn how to not foul so much. If they do that, they should finish in the top 3 in the conference.

:angry:

And I'm still waiting on an answer, Brick! :)

:lol: Good luck with that

Archived