• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS

SquatchinNY

Who ever is sitting on the southwest side of this storm is going to get rocked by the piling air that builds between the frontal system and the storm. We're already seeing that with the heavy rains that's forming from the northwest winds along the frontal boundary in eastern P.A. colliding with easterly winds from Sandy.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who ever is sitting on the southwest side of this storm is going to get rocked by the piling air that builds between the frontal system and the storm. We're already seeing that with the heavy rains that's forming from the northwest winds along the frontal boundary in eastern P.A. colliding with easterly winds from Sandy.

I think the heavier rainfall amounts are going to be more widespread than the models show. 18z GFS already pushed much of NJ close to 4" when previously the northern part of the state was only getting like 3" QPF.

welcome home. Should be a wild 48 hours for us. I'm considering putting duct tape across my windows that face the south and east just in case they break.

Thanks, yeah should be a crazy couple days. Hard to believe this is actually happening - we're about to experience a 1 in 100 year event.

57F and gusting to 25mph here. I see reports of 40+ on the Monmouth coast already.

I'm guessing we max out in the 60-70mph range for us inland, probably 75mph at BLM ASOS, and unofficial 80-90mph gusts at the beaches.

Already gusting decently here. Nothing too strong but can hear it clearly through the house/windows.

quite ominous. Just took a ride around my hood, not far from the water and a parking lot at a marina is completely under water and a road that bi-sects the woodmere golf club is also completely under water...im kinda freaked out

May be looking at a new record with Sandy.

According to Weather Underground, here is a list by region of record low pressure readings associated with extra-tropical cyclones in the U.S.:

ALASKA: 927 mb (27.35”) Dutch Harbor on 10/25/1977

*LOWER 48 STATES: 952 mb (28.10”) Bridgehampton, New York on 3/3/1914

MIDWEST: 955.2 mb (28.21”) Big, Fork, Minnesota on 10/26/2010

OHIO VALLEY: 956 mb (28.23”) Mount Clemens, Michigan 1/26/1978

WEST COAST: 962 mb (28.40”) Quillayute, Washington on 12/1/1987

This is the point that Strat747 was trying to make earlier in the sub forum. Long fetch winds and the size of the windfield along with several high tide cycles above normal need to be taken seriously. Good luck everyone and do not under estimate the surge potential with this storm.

I was just having this exact discussion with my cousin just now trying to relay this information about this upcoming storm.

I'm floored by storm surge projections but I greatly fear they will be far worse. This storm is bigger than Ike was and it was all about the size of Ike that really created that surge. My cousin lives in Rye NY and said that no one there is really worried about surge and he said he was going to take my advice over neighbors.

I really have this pit feeling in my stomach this is going to go from a meterologists dream to a unfolding nightmare, especially for NYC.

Hoping for the best. So anxious.

Staten Island flooding throughout zone A and into parts of zone b already. My friend who didnt evacuate has just decided they will be getting valuables out once waters reside with low tide. Scary stuff.

Confirms what a friend of mine heard about Arthur Kill Road; flooding by the walgreen's there.

11:43PM

57F

1000mb

Archived