• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy OBS

SquatchinNY

Staten Island flooding throughout zone A and into parts of zone b already. My friend who didnt evacuate has just decided they will be getting valuables out once waters reside with low tide. Scary stuff.

Dud they only evac Zone A? How do we not know by now that large wind swaths plus right angle coastlines mean surge disaster. We do realize that a Category 3 put up over 30 feet of surge in a similarly shaped piece of coastline a few years ago, do we not?

Sent from my Milestone X 2

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a ground floor apartment in Hoboken. I left to get my car to higher ground thanks to this site. My roommate didnt leave. Not many took this seriously there. Many of my friends were out for hurricane parties tonight. I can see this being very bad in the next few high tides. Poor, poor handling by local officials.

If I'm understanding this graphic correctly, the surge is 1.0-1.5 feet above where it was predicted to be (the blue line)? Can't claim to be a surge expert, lol. If so, ugh.

nybat.gif

Yep about +1 - 1.25 ft it looks like. So if that trend continues then the predicted 11 feet could be 12 tomorrow night! The surge right now is about 2.75ft above normal tide.

Jesus!! That is really bad for this early on.

So are the wildwood pictures. I'm beyond concerned. I'm thinking more along the lines that I hope something changes and this doesn't happen. SMH. It went from fascinating science to a nightmare scenario unfolding really quick for me tonight. It hit hard that this is gonna be very bad. Been worried about surge for days now and I'm dissapointed that my fears seem to becoming a reality.

This will be some event to watch unfold. I really wish I didn't have a midterm this wednesday; simply because studying/following this storm is taking up a considerable ammount of time.

Sure that's from Sandy? How would someone get that far south on the island...think that's on N Bay Ave?

It was posted by a meteorologist on twitter -- other than that I don't have total confirmation (didn't trace the source)...but it wouldn't completely surprise me. LBI floods so quickly with even the slightest storm surge.

Sure that's from Sandy? How would someone get that far south on the island...think that's on N Bay Ave?

Well, a google search couldn't find it, so its not a regular rip-off like some have been tonight.

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZis33_1V-7fk4A2ElO3bVj-vk-XHVxzT3j7JRbedaP7OHDe9bUQuk58WagJ-34z3y3-IJbBsI3_1QKgKGUGI3Yv7mtZSJQikBaHZ0V-nIUJwAypL3Zi6wIoR8QvFXdTorWmJjkvwVuf0-6vapAqTXXGchc2IEswmR02LmH56LtoF1pDcR6TYtdMRr3uieEIQLOCm8kOWKGS_1yOg77VkaGzk6R04WKeMJrPblVnYVpzqdXOmf-eiDPYtzR-3nJX1PYcyVkjp0FeCScMPZ0ZCObmjU6A-NNsXtIAcnNad9sK9TJWKaOGso_10NeOFceDOLXRyjdRhlHZlyNlgsj9upO8cNuPbq9hF0QrbAg8h-la5puCjUBJzMnbuaRG2ksy4JDUK-0SLwB98lKMg-gD5rN6kiJBHEgng0LhlKL4R3G3GEITUiqFk-RyDqt_1GEp13Vusg1KwuNBSXD8BiKx8dF5hmo16u2wcfEEcEbCmAoKbgmkdwLJszheDv1_1QVAdPPCQdaeLpZjopf-JdQcl01TWXAOc7ND04ijOYGkK-NGF5dV8ndNRrKwBB5uMYYS3VV2_1Ljrx1TzERMPyIvOAnxAHuM3CW3Q7JGzVE0OVvMYqkyk5WO-xmwXtGCr3S8RA9PoXF9AnJFfrkXQvt8p_1Pczdnm-DpkTGkzjz5D5oIEMR7CrDM5Gf28_1fjNAWd_1lNJGtZ52oEzLwUyBXy6wg969VMtq3Myxh1y056qfB3uyKhgtXtQJ8_123iMevN-60rRFdWSlMt0rP3SFPbIpBf5hrCg1BQsYL2clBA_1iH4iCtMb_1YvRABJRWkZBreR20036jMBxi_1Edt4dxIjwB8WNHhFilD9RqE12UEOgjb68zZso14OkqGnBmnllYSElFydXFX8MVY8nM9r-AP52BTt5X2nDOeAFpf1sAszxaS2WV-8Z8K5qVmmA5hq0hlUq4R0ZI2TD9ddQeMi7OZTxoZWELoznG6Sz9_1MI7eObFJF4laohwE8BPhNHf-nF3kkLi23irCg4nZlwrB8PxkO4rae8rDr-Vcw5ApJky7dBTbChb-A1xbgnygNu3mQI9uEn8MW_1gwtYk-gHpBc5HAHRK98gbmeMrHMBVbCFmuYrRcx_16zyP3ieSQjQr6WRFFNjTk-t87ZwaQ5x93foPRheEbJ1oJ6MuxcN69B5WV2ePTPBIsG8apvlh7nj-Z8s-tN81VsF7tFZzqQePjGi2O6jAINddlUCwZm5fcA4VKWu60xpsZYGGLHrJ33QGl_12_1oIPzrt6JrznS9ypGMMPmIZecreHXy88CQhQHPoOctTX6Q&num=10&hl=en&bih=891&biw=1213

I'm getting the feeling we can't comprehend the full impact of this storm. It has been over preforming and serge lvls for long island sound have been increasing. I don't even want to say what I am thinking, lets hope that people who need to evacuate do so. I guess gut feelings are as good as anything to some degree.

Archived