Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
East Coast Threat/Sandy Part III

free_man

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't find a huge reason to disagree with the GFS op....it could be just following that small weakness.

Other than it came half way back to the 12z solution - the model's got big continuity challenges.

The system's potential enormity cannot be underscored enough, and perhaps that grandeur is a bit too much for most to swallow - okay. But it seems we have a counter culture brewing here to latch onto the lesser outcome; perhaps that defense, perhaps that common sense that such a big situation is fraught with reasons to pull back. But unfortunately, none of that offers much logic to preclude the bigger impact.

That's philosophy talking.

Meteorologically, I can think of reasons why the GFS doesn't make much sense. For one, in each of the frames leading up to it's ENE wide then N parabolic trajectory, are there steering fields available for it to do so; yet the run just displaces Sandy anyway ever more outward. 2ndly, the jet dynamics that really dig on the Euro'esqute solutions has not been present in any of these GFS runs as of late - targeting that disturbance, it won't be into the denser sounding domain until 48 hours from the 00z initialization. Should a stronger impulse such as the Euro sees, get relayed, more digging into the TV combined with blocking resistance in the Atlantic would do the trick. I've mentioned this before regarding that relay and I that's what I'm waiting on.

I love how people are throwing out the GFS( which is a very good model) to the garbage. Everything needs to be considered at this point. And, shocker, it might not be the epic bomb some people want it to be.

if you scroll back you will see the MET's mentioning that it's another possibility to consider, I don't thnk anyone is throwing it out.

R.

I love how people are throwing out the GFS( which is a very good model) to the garbage. Everything needs to be considered at this point. And, shocker, it might not be the epic bomb some people want it to be.

The model's been shifting it's track all over the place - the suspicion is warranted. Continuity, meaning, consistency from run to run, is highly correlated to accuracy - that's why

Stewarts pulls the trigger on the cat 2 from the last VDM

HURRICANE SANDY TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182012

1230 AM EDT THU OCT 25 2012

...SANDY RAPIDLY STRENGTHENS SOUTHWEST OF SANTIAGO DE CUBA...

SUMMARY OF 1230 AM EDT...0430 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...19.6N 76.1W

ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM SW OF SANTIAGO DE CUBA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110 MPH...175 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 015 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...957 MB...28.26 INCHES

RECENT REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT

INDICATE HURRICANE SANDY HAS RAPIDLY STRENGTHENED...AND MAXIMUM

SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NOW ESTIMATED TO BE 110 MPH...175 KM/H. THIS

MAKE SANDY A STRONG CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON

HURRICANE WIND SCALE. SOME ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE...

AND SANDY COULD BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE BEFORE MAKING LANDFALL

ALONG THE SOUTHEASTERN COAST OF CUBA LATER THIS MORNING.

$$

FORECASTER STEWART

The model's been shifting it's track all over the place - the suspicion is warranted. Continuity, meaning, consistency from run to run, is highly correlated to accuracy - that's why

Yeah nobody saying it is 100% correct, but who am I to say it should be 10 decameters stronger with ridging near Bermuda..lol. Nobody can, so all I mean is that despite the normal GFS biases it has...I wouldn't toss this run per se. Just put it in the caldron of model solutions and stir it around. 5+ days out so I think we have no real right to say what model is right or wrong..other than criticize why it's giving us this solution and speculate whether or not it is correct.

So that would literally eliminate every global model besides the Euro, using that logic. I agree that the GFS inconsistencies call for suspicion, but it's all result dependent and if the GFS showed a sub 950 bomb at the benchmark then everyone would be singing its praises. I'm calling it like I see it.

Yeah nobody saying it is 100% correct, but who am I to say it should be 10 decameters stronger with ridging near Bermuda..lol. Nobody can, so all I mean is that despite the normal GFS biases it has...I wouldn't toss this run per se. Just put it in the caldron of model solutions and stir it around. 5+ days out so I think we have no real right to say what model is right or wrong..other than criticize why it's giving us this solution and speculate whether or not it is correct.

100% agreed. It's insane to throw out a model run 5 days out from an event.

It's not a bad idea to do that, actually ...throw it all in the blender and pour a nice glass of mean - I think that still tastes pretty good to the Kevin-heads out there. haha.

ah hell. I dunno. I'm crashin'.

Are you making a statement about the GFS, or just attempting to read into something you probably have no idea about?

is it really 5 days out? don't all the player have to be on the table before that? just wondering, I would think by 48-72 hrs we should really know what is going on, just wondering.

It's not a bad idea to do that, actually ...throw it all in the blender and pour a nice glass of mean - I think that still tastes pretty good to the Kevin-heads out there. haha.

ah hell. I dunno. I'm crashin'.

I know what you mean though. It has its biases, but I guess I look at it from a point where we have such a crazy pattern going on, that 5+ days out and another run closer to the actual event start time...if it doesn't have a huge glaring issue with the solution..I can't really toss it. I can have my own suspicions about it and maybe disagree.

is it really 5 days out? don't all the player have to be on the table before that? just wondering, I would think by 48-72 hrs we should really know what is going on, just wondering.

Maybe more like 6 days. I think by Friday morning we'll know..and even 12z guidance tomorrow may sort of hone in on a range of solutions...better than today's range.

So that would literally eliminate every global model besides the Euro, using that logic. I agree that the GFS inconsistencies call for suspicion, but it's all result dependent and if the GFS showed a sub 950 bomb at the benchmark then everyone would be singing its praises. I'm calling it like I see it.

No, it wouldn't. We need to understand the logic of the probability spectrum, and that continuity issues puts bad consistency closer to the less likely end of the spectrum - that is especially true when the runs with the better continuity fit better with larger scale parametrics.

As far as the 950 mb stuff, some are guided by emotion and that biases their determinism - shame on them.

Archived