northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
East Coast Threat/Sandy Part III

free_man

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still very intriguing to see the Euro being so consistent capturing this and bring it back west south of SNE...continues to really hit the phase in time. Just still nervous that this is still in the 96-120 HR timeframe...if the Euro is still suggesting this once it hits the 72-HR timeframe I'd begin to think this scenario will be a reality.

My previous idea of a track from blend or weighted average now gives this result (adjusted to include UK)

For 40% Euro 20% GEM 20% UK 20% GFS ... The predicted track is from 150 east of Norfolk to JFK to SYR min pres 950

For 33% Euro 22% each of the rest ... The predicted track is from 150 east of Norfolk to ISP to sw CT to SYR min pres 950

All this demonstrates is that the more you trust the Euro, the closer to NYC the track shifts away from an unweighted consensus which is probably eastern Long Island to central CT to SYR.

Looks like the greatest clarity at the moment is the inland snowstorm followed by the heavy rain in NJ-ePA. Other details have greater uncertainties but the range of impacts is tremendous. For southern New England, the range is from catastrophic to minor (excluding low-prob swerving out to sea variants).

With some models now showing Sandy making landfall well to the south of New England,

and possibily meaning less of an impact to New England, something keep in mind, esp

for wind potential...

The Dec 11-12 1992 event...one of the worst Nor'easters on record to impact NEUS/Mid

Atlantic. The storm central pressure got to down 985 mb near the Delmarva and stalled. We

had a 1035 mb high over Quebec and it was bad for wind BOS to DCA. Maps here:

http://www.meteo.psu...1992/us1211.php

http://www.meteo.psu...1992/us1212.php

Now the ECMWF shows a similar depth high to the NE-NW. Its position is further N and

it isn't as strongly nosed down close from the NE like in Dec 92, *but*, do some math here.

What was the absolute pressure difference then?...50 mb. What is will be the absolute pressure

difference coming up...being a bit conservative at 960 mb for Sandy, and the 1035 mb high

the ECMWF shows...75 mb! The high to the N is not as pressing for the Sandy event, but a

25 mb greater difference I would think would make it at least as bad as Dec 92 for wind/storm

surge in New England, given the track stays to the S of Long island. So a Delmarva landfall might

not make much difference. Problem is impact is going to be high regardless so any minimizing

statements (i.e. not the worst case scenario) might not be a good idea right now. You have to

look at it from degrees of bad. Even if it is not the absolute worst case scenario for New England, the

worst case scenario is so bad, that getting a little less than that is still really bad relatively speaking.

So if only a million people are w/o power in in southern New England vs. 1.5 million...see what I mean?

When that many people lose power, it is a disaster no matter what.

The infamous Blizzard of 78 in New England had 70-73 mb difference between the high to the N

and the storm center to the S of New England.

Here is my summary of day 1 of the Dec 1992 event from my historical wx files. We got hit hard in SNE obviously as well.

12/11/1992

One of the fiercest "nor'easters" this century in was progress

across the New York City area and the Mid Atlantic region. A

985 millibar low stalled over the Delmarva Peninsula. This

combined with a 1035 millibar high pressure over Quebec set up

an enormous easterly pressure gradient which resulted in winds

exceeding hurricane force in many places and record high tides.

Ambrose Light Station just southeast of New York City recorded

sustained winds of 80 mph with gusts to 93 mph. Wildwood

Crest, New Jersey reported gusts to 90 mph and New Holland,

Pennsylvania measured 82 mph gusts. In Philadelphia,

Pennsylvania, the high winds broke a church steeple which fell

onto and closed the Ben Franklin Bridge to New Jersey. Some of

the worst coastal flooding ever associated with a nor'easter

occurred as tides were pushed 3 to 6 feet above normal,

resulting in widespread damage and beach erosion. LaGuardia

Airport was closed due to flooding. The East River flooded

Manhattan's FDR Drive, stranding dozens of motorists. Flooding

at a Con Edison station shut down New York City's entire subway

system for more than 3 hours. Tremendous snowfalls occurred at

inland locations as the storm was a very slow mover. Piney

Dam, Maryland was buried under 42 inches of snow to set a new

state snowfall record for a single storm. Ogletown, Pennsylvania

measured 36 inches of snow and Mount Storm, West Virginia recorded

32 inches.

With some models now showing Sandy making landfall well to the south of New England,

and possibily meaning less of an impact to New England, something keep in mind, esp

for wind potential...

The Dec 11-12 1992 event...one of the worst Nor'easters on record to impact NEUS/Mid

Atlantic. The storm central pressure got to down 985 mb near the Delmarva and stalled. We

had a 1035 mb high over Quebec and it was bad for wind BOS to DCA. Maps here:

http://www.meteo.psu...1992/us1211.php

http://www.meteo.psu...1992/us1212.php

Now the ECMWF shows a similar depth high to the NE-NW. Its position is further N and

it isn't as strongly nosed down close from the NE like in Dec 92, *but*, do some math here.

What was the absolute pressure difference then?...50 mb. What is will be the absolute pressure

difference coming up...being a bit conservative at 960 mb for Sandy, and the 1035 mb high

the ECMWF shows...75 mb! The high to the N is not as pressing for the Sandy event, but a

25 mb greater difference I would think would make it at least as bad as Dec 92 for wind/storm

surge in New England, given the track stays to the S of Long island. So a Delmarva landfall might

not make much difference. Problem is impact is going to be high regardless so any minimizing

statements (i.e. not the worst case scenario) might not be a good idea right now. You have to

look at it from degrees of bad. Even if it is not the absolute worst case scenario for New England, the

worst case scenario is so bad, that getting a little less than that is still really bad relatively speaking.

So if only a million people are w/o power in in southern New England vs. 1.5 million...see what I mean?

When that many people lose power, it is a disaster no matter what.

The infamous Blizzard of 78 in New England had 70-73 mb difference between the high to the N

and the storm center to the S of New England.

Here is my summary of day 1 of the Dec 1992 event from my historical wx files. We got hit hard in SNE obviously as well.

12/11/1992

One of the fiercest "nor'easters" this century in was progress

across the New York City area and the Mid Atlantic region. A

985 millibar low stalled over the Delmarva Peninsula. This

combined with a 1035 millibar high pressure over Quebec set up

an enormous easterly pressure gradient which resulted in winds

exceeding hurricane force in many places and record high tides.

Ambrose Light Station just southeast of New York City recorded

sustained winds of 80 mph with gusts to 93 mph. Wildwood

Crest, New Jersey reported gusts to 90 mph and New Holland,

Pennsylvania measured 82 mph gusts. In Philadelphia,

Pennsylvania, the high winds broke a church steeple which fell

onto and closed the Ben Franklin Bridge to New Jersey. Some of

the worst coastal flooding ever associated with a nor'easter

occurred as tides were pushed 3 to 6 feet above normal,

resulting in widespread damage and beach erosion. LaGuardia

Airport was closed due to flooding. The East River flooded

Manhattan's FDR Drive, stranding dozens of motorists. Flooding

at a Con Edison station shut down New York City's entire subway

system for more than 3 hours. Tremendous snowfalls occurred at

inland locations as the storm was a very slow mover. Piney

Dam, Maryland was buried under 42 inches of snow to set a new

state snowfall record for a single storm. Ogletown, Pennsylvania

measured 36 inches of snow and Mount Storm, West Virginia recorded

32 inches.

Great post. Many posts I've been reading are minimizing the damage the wind is going to cause should it come in over Jersey..though the Euro still seems too far sw with LF..but regardless..fantastic post and one i hope folks don't take lightly

I've been observing the models for a few days and I noticed that New England looks to get slammed. One person on my Facebook timeline is saying that we are to get hit by a major hurricane, although my current thinking is that a Noreaster seems more likely. However, this could go out to sea...although that doesn't seem likely at this point.

Great post. Many posts I've been reading are minimizing the damage the wind is going to cause should it come in over Jersey..though the Euro still seems too far sw with LF..but regardless..fantastic post and one i hope folks don't take lightly

the euro's wind fields remain very impressive with the strong winds expanding outward from the center dramatically. in fact, by sun PM (ooz mon) - with the storm still SE of Hatteras - 50 knot winds off the deck (925 mb) are already to Montauk and ACK. by monday morning that's up to 60 knots, by afternoon 75 knots.

the question is how the atmosphere wants to behave. if the storm makes that euro hook, it *may* be tough to mix down the good stuff away from the coast. hard to say right now.

but his post is spot on and something we've all mentioned that the wind field is enormous thanks to ET transition and surface HP up north.

speculating...but looks like 6z gfs will hook back into SNE

to put it in perspective...the heavy rain band that was over Providence, Springfield, and up into Vermont is down across Eastern PA and NJ.

it's coming closer to the Euro camp.

edit: looks like the track extrap'd would bend it back into Maine, maybe near Bangor?

Archived