northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
East Coast Threat/Sandy Part III

free_man

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you making a statement about the GFS, or just attempting to read into something you probably have no idea about?

I was making a statement about the GFS, but really I was making a comment regarding some people's view on the GFS vs. Euro. Stuff like "Okay, let's wait for the REAL model to come out" makes an assumption that the GFS is a worthless model, which is incorrect.

As for having no clue what I'm talking about, you'd be mistaken.

No, it wouldn't. We need to understand the logic of the probability spectrum, and that continuity issues puts bad consistency closer to the less likely end of the spectrum - that is especially true when the runs with the better continuity fit better with larger scale parametrics.

As far as the 950 mb stuff, some are guided by emotion and that biases their determinism - shame on them.

I would agree with you on this. A widely varying solution from run-to-run should be held to less stock than something that has been consistent. BUT, the difference between OTS and inland solutions are really not that far apart and are all about the blocking pattern. Slight adjustments in this seemingly small factor have huge consequences (like the Euro being inland and the GFS being OTS). That was the point I was trying to make. Sorry for the animosity, none was intended, but rather to prompt discussion.

I know what you mean though. It has its biases, but I guess I look at it from a point where we have such a crazy pattern going on, that 5+ days out and another run closer to the actual event start time...if it doesn't have a huge glaring issue with the solution..I can't really toss it. I can have my own suspicions about it and maybe disagree.

If I ever said toss it, which I did last night, that's in part sarcasm - I merely mean it's less likely a veracious solution. I really don't think these way out than sort of back in, then back in, followed by way out then parabolic slamming into CAR Maine is helping the GFS cause.

I can see why any solution at any given time can happen, and take it before congress, but sometimes the simpler explanation makes more sense, and the Euro and (jesus christ I'm going to say this) the NOGAP-like solutions intuitively fit this puzzle.

Buuuut, I've been wrong before.

I would agree with you on this. A widely varying solution from run-to-run should be held to less stock than something that has been consistent. BUT, the difference between OTS and inland solutions are really not that far apart and are all about the blocking pattern. Slight adjustments in this seemingly small factor have huge consequences (like the Euro being inland and the GFS being OTS). That was the point I was trying to make. Sorry for the animosity, none was intended, but rather to prompt discussion.

No animosity was registered - its all good. Spirited debate is what this should be.

But again, to your point ... if smaller perturbations are sending the GFS to wildly varying solutions, perhaps the model isn't handling things, so yeah

When you have been burnt about 100 times by the GFS you tend to get a bit skeptical about it. How many times during the winter did I allow myself to be sucked in by the GFS only to have it bow to the Euro.

Yeah it could be right. LOL

I was making a statement about the GFS, but really I was making a comment regarding some people's view on the GFS vs. Euro. Stuff like "Okay, let's wait for the REAL model to come out" makes an assumption that the GFS is a worthless model, which is incorrect.

As for having no clue what I'm talking about, you'd be mistaken.

She's a 110 mph and a Category 2 - like I said, not surprised. This is a RI cycle. Cuba is probably going to stop this from going well beyond guidance - it's beyond now, but I mean "well" beyond.

I'm very curious about her intensity at landfall ... based on last recon and satellite presentation, 125mph seems entirely possible

Looks like it has tightened and intensified on final approach, in the hour since they upgraded to 110.... It really has a lovely presentation now on the IR loop.

She's a 110 mph and a Category 2 - like I said, not surprised. This is a RI cycle. Cuba is probably going to stop this from going well beyond guidance - it's beyond now, but I mean "well" beyond.

Has anyone heard how the UKMET has been looking the past few days?

It's average accuracy is supposed to be fairly close to the GFS, but I haven't heard much talk about the Ukie this week.

http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?mod=ukmet&run=00&stn=PNM&hh=042&map=na&stn2=PNM&runb=00&mod2=gemglb&hh2=042&comp=1&fixhh=1〈=en

Archived