Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Sandy Phaser Banter Thread

Chaser25973

You mean December 1992.

yep. sorry.

dec 92.

i vividly remember that storm, because it was nothing like anything i've witnessed before or since.

they were the highest sustained winds i ever saw...... and they lasted for an enormous amount of time (12 hours-ish... if i recall).

the night sky was routinely lit with exploding transformers. again, i've never seen anything like that ever again.

...and it ended with 2" of snow.

i suspect hybrid-sandy may look similar, minus the snow.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it was basically a 50 hour storm. Started Thursday afternoon as light sleet/rain mix, went over to heavy rain and 50 mph winds overnight and Friday. Then we got a break during the day and round 2 came in overnight into Saturday with more heavy rain and wind. Snow on the back end most of Saturday afternoon finally tapered down around dark with a slushy inch or two (lots more north and west).

yep. sorry.

dec 92.

i vividly remember that storm, because it was nothing like anything i've witnessed before or since.

they were the highest sustained winds i ever saw...... and they lasted for an enormous amount of time (12 hours-ish... if i recall).

the night sky was routinely lit with exploding transformers. again, i've never seen anything like that ever again.

I am actually about a mile west of Route 9, down Friendship Road. We were fortunate during Irene in that we did not lose power at all. I don't recall losing power in December 1992, but that is 20 years ago. Definitively heading down I-195 to Belmar tomorrow.

Developments on the west side of 9 in Howell actually probably didn't lose power as those developments are much newer than Candlewood. Candlewood was older than mostly all the other developments so power easily went out for us during December 1992. Older more susceptible methods of delivering electricity I guess lol. Behind my house was Woodstone and Oak Glen and they were newer developments so they also avoided power loss.

yep. sorry.

dec 92.

My sentiments exactly. This storm may duplicate or Lord help us even surpass it. Never thought that would be possible.

19 billion dollars in damages.... are you kidding me? Try living near a river.

I'm not saying Irene wasn't bad, clearly the flooding damage was tremendous for numerous places as well as the coastal flooding and surge but the forecast a few days before it hit was a Category 2 slamming into NYC causing damage that would have made it a 75-100 billion dollar storm with surge some 3 times as high as we saw.

but the forecast a few days before it hit was a Category 2 slamming into NYC causing damage that would have made it a 75-100 billion dollar storm

Sources are good when you make grandiose claims about things that happened in the past. We all tend to remember things in a bit of an exaggerated fashion. You were proven wrong in your assessment of Irene under performing, now move on.

Sources are good when you make grandiose claims about things that happened in the past. We all tend to remember things in a bit of an exaggerated fashion. You were proven wrong in your assessment of Irene under performing, now move on.

I'll move on but I don't think I'm wrong, the amount of bust claims on this board during Irene was huge as well as the general public opinion. In fact, many have mentioned that the public may prove complacent with this storm because Irene wasn't as bad as forecast. It's not a false claim, a lot of people felt Irene was over exaggerated and less damaging than what it was supposed to be.

And with that, I'll move on, what's done is done.

The storm surge in NYC and the winds in the city at least did underperform so for people without basements and property with trees it might have seemed like a non event. But for those of us that got a ton of rain and had alot of wind damage (mostly away from the coast) and lost power for 3-5 days it definitely wasn't

I'll move on but I don't think I'm wrong, the amount of bust claims on this board during Irene was huge as well as the general public opinion. In fact, many have mentioned that the public may prove complacent with this storm because Irene wasn't as bad as forecast. It's not a false claim, a lot of people felt Irene was over exaggerated and less damaging than what it was supposed to be.

And with that, I'll move on, what's done is done.

its the case with every big storm it seems. even the tightly wound winter storms over the past several years... its all about location. where one area of the state or even county can be impacted minimally and seem spared, areas 10 miles away get blasted. doesnt change the severity of the entire event. while Bloomberg can get on TV on mon/tue and say the 5 boroughs have been spared, other parts of the tri state you hear people are evacuating. and we have a complex event on our hands, things can and will change in consecutive computer cycles.

I wish everyone luck in being able to get through this storm without any damage or hardships. I am NOT rooting for destruction or casualties. However, as a bit of a hurricane enthusiast, seeing the NHC not issuing hurricane watches or warnings in our area for this storm takes away half of my excitement for this historic event. We will not be able to have the prestige of adding another official cyclone strike in our area to our climatolgical list. This is because not a single mention of a cyclone impact on NYC will be found in the NHC database of archived advisories and summaries, due to the NHC cutting off all watches and warnings prior to this so-called "coastal storm" making landfall. High Wind Warnings and Coastal Flood Warnings will not cut it, in my opinion, especially that Sandy will still have a meaningful warm core as it arrives here. Sorry for my rant.

Look that's the decision they went with. You don't think everyone on the planet doesn't already think a hurricane is coming? People will be prepared regardless of whatever Sandy is when she arrives

SINCE THERE WILL LIKELY BE AT LEAST A PARTIAL TRANSITIONING TO A

POWERFUL EXTRA TROPICAL CYCLONE...ALL HAZARDS FOR THE MOUNT HOLLY

AREA WILL BE GENERATED USING STANDARD NON TROPICAL PROCEDURES.

Upton: IT HAS TO BE EMPHASIZED...THAT ALTHOUGH THE STORM IS EXPECTED TO TRANSITION TO POST-TROPICAL BEFORE LANDFALL...IT WILL BE A LARGE AND DANGEROUS STORM FOR THE NORTHEAST/MID ATLANTIC.

Funny how the nhc has tropical stom, warnings in effect for the off shore waters up to southern new England but yet they hand over land warnings to local offices makes no sense!!

This could start to get into Katrina or Galveston-1900 territory as far as impacts ... human impacts can still be reduced with 60h now left for effective planning.

NHC should drop the handoff idea and declare a hurricane warning stressing extraordinary potential. But I gather CNN and some networks, local TV mets are more or less at that stage already. This is no secret storm but as to the name Sandy, perhaps a better one would be She-it (last joke I'm making on this).

Archived