• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Sandy Phaser Banter Thread

Chaser25973

I figured since we were in storm mode, we could use a banter thread to banter about Sandy/Phased/Hybrid whatever it's gonna be called.

I spoke to my aunt today who lives on the South Shore of LI and I told her to start thinking about evacuating. She said, "Oh, we might go to CT." I said that was a bad idea because CT could get it even worse. Then she said "We could stay at a hotel in PA" then I told her she might hit a blizzard if she does that. Then she said "Oh, well we have family in North Carolina...."

Pretty much anywhere you go is unsafe right now...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, at least my generators are still gassed up from the great Freehold NJ super cell in July. I lost most of my trees in that one so at least that's a plus.

Put generators in the house back in Colts Neck following Irene (which we didn't lose power for) so that looks like a good decision right now. You'll have to keep me posted on Monmouth's status as I'll be here NW of PHL for this sucker.

Will do. Only lost power for half hour on the back end of Irene. Since the super cell we've had many more small one to ten minute outages here. Before it, we rarely lost power at all. I suspect our infrastructure is still quite suspect now so I'm defanately expecting an extended outage if the models are correct. Good luck.

I hope Sandy does not pull an Irene and weaken 5 MPH for each NHC advisory from here on out until landfall. Irene only was 65 MPH as it made landfall in NJ and those winds were well east of the center over the ocean.

the fact that irene impacted the area and it was a tropical system are where the comparisons should end. This situation is not even close to similar, and our storm will surely not be weakening, in fact there is every indication that it should be intensifying to just about landfall, albeit as a hybrid system.

The NAM has finally picked up a load and carried it to the shed. The GEM reminds me of a drunk guy in a bar who already picked up a girl and forgot so now he's trying different lines on other girls. He may remember his date soon. The Euro is on auto-pilot but may be slowly drifting off course to the left, somebody wake up the crew. The GFS might have mistaken the interstate lights for the airport runway.

I sure hope this raggedy band gets its act together by 12z because this much uncertainty at T-60h is going to result in very late effective preparations, but what can you do, you can't evacuate everyone in the I-95 corridor, and when they do start to warn, as an earlier poster said, where do you send people? Into an I-80 snowstorm? It would be providential if this just falls apart at the last minute.

I wonder if this will turn out like Irene with it not being as bad as forecast. My area was almost completely spared by Irene, just some flooding, a couple trees/branches down, no power lost, not a big deal. Of course every storm is different and Sandy's evolution will be completely different than Irene's as well as its trajectory. An E or ESE coming right off the ocean can be very damaging at least that's what I heard.

Can anyone chime in more on the wind direction and trajectory? What is the significant of an E or ESE wind compared to say a W or WNW wind.

I wonder if this will turn out like Irene with it not being as bad as forecast. My area was almost completely spared by Irene, just some flooding, a couple trees/branches down, no power lost, not a big deal. Of course every storm is different and Sandy's evolution will be completely different than Irene's as well as its trajectory. An E or ESE coming right off the ocean can be very damaging at least that's what I heard.

Can anyone chime in more on the wind direction and trajectory? What is the significant of an E or ESE wind compared to say a W or WNW wind.

19 billion dollars in damages.... are you kidding me? Try living near a river.

You live in my hometown! Are you in Candlewood? If it is like December 1992 (winds/damage wise) in Howell with this upcoming storm you are in for a wallop. I grew up in Howell and the December 1992 storm remains the worst winds I've ever experienced. If this is like that or worse, you will never forget it. Be safe. If you live in Candlewood and this produces like December 1992 or worse be prepared to lose power.

I am actually about a mile west of Route 9, down Friendship Road. We were fortunate during Irene in that we did not lose power at all. I don't recall losing power in December 1992, but that is 20 years ago. Definitively heading down I-195 to Belmar tomorrow.

Archived