Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Sandy Phaser Banter Thread

Chaser25973

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloomberg on twitter suggests no storm effects will be here until Monday afternoon/night. I guess that explains the mindset behind today's press conference with regards to Monday activities.

#Sandy is a dangerous storm. We expect effects in #NYC beginning Monday afternoon. Our city will be ready: bit.ly/WRCnd3
Our primary concerns are storm surge, prolonged wind, and possible power outages beginning Monday night #Sandy bit.ly/WRCnd3

To be fair, there is still time to nail down a final track and then start evacuations. For Irene they started late Friday early Saturday and the worst was that night into Sunday. To start evacuating millions of people 36 hours out and then have it take a jog to the east or north would be very costly

If we were under a hurricane warning however things would probably be going alot differently. Will be a huge mistake if people think this is a dying hurricane or just a run of the mill noreaster.

Bloomberg on twitter suggests no storm effects will be here until Monday afternoon/night. I guess that explains the mindset behind today's press conference with regards to Monday activities.

I think Bloomberg knows whats up, but is trying to keep the calm. If he knows the grocery stores are packed and there's gas lines already like people have said, the last thing he wants to do is make it worse. It's a political move - maybe even a sacrifical one.

I think he'll gradually increase the the seriousness of his annoucements, due to the large amount of people that go to him for answers rather than the NHC or TWC.

What would happen if he gave a gloom and doom speech? Roadways clogged, subway cars crammed, mass exodus?

Probably not because unless mandatory most people don't heed those types of warnings. With that being said he should have used stronger language so people knew it was a serious situation and could begin preparing to be without power for days and possibly have to leave their homes. Instead he always seems worried about if people can get to work or school on Monday business as usual.

I think Bloomberg knows whats up, but is trying to keep the calm. If he knows the grocery stores are packed and there's gas lines already like people have said, the last thing he wants to do is make it worse. It's a political move - maybe even a sacrifical one.

I think he'll gradually increase the the seriousness of his annoucements, due to the large amount of people that go to him for answers rather than the NHC or TWC.

What would happen if he gave a gloom and doom speech? Roadways clogged, subway cars crammed, mass exodus?

Is there anyone here who is a trained meteorologist who could contact the local media, 7, 5, 4 and 2 and tell them what kind of horrible mistake Bloomberg is making?! Why aren't Lee Goldberg or Bill Evans or the guys from Channel 2 speaking out against this?!

Does everyone not forget how Bloomberg overreacted to Irene?

I saw it and myself was baffled and shocked. I guess Bloomy is looking at the NOGAPS.

i can hear him now, in that hideous monotone..... "just as we must respect all the cultures in our city, we must also respect and recognize all weather guidance.... that's why the city of NY is officially following the nogaps."

I am just curious as to why your mayor..Bloomberg is not calling for a mandatory evac tomorrow..and he stated in a press confrence that Sandy was going to be weak and not bad at all...so when the sea water starts piling up on New York City streets and those who have drowned start floating down the street in NYC..do ya think he might reconsider bout the evacuation..its gonna be to late by tomorrow night and monday am..Even TWC's Jim Cantore and Brian Norcross could not believe what they heard from him,he had no comprehension about the wave height,storm surge..not cool.

Just briefly, this earthquake is in a remote area well north of Vancouver (where I am) and there was no effect felt here as far as I am aware, nor is there a tsunami potential for large cities except that Prince Rupert and Port Alberni, two towns in the 25k range, have evacuated from low lying areas, no word on actual tsunami. It sounds big (7.7) but we have had 6s and low 7s in that zone before without much happening, probably takes an 8-9 in that zone (unlike Seattle where shallower type quakes at 6.5+ are very significant).

It is believed that a 9.0 earthquake in January 1700 set off a major tsunami that changed parts of the coastline in this region, before European contact, so discovered mainly through correlation with a Japanese tsunami.

All I knowis they had better be damn careful how they categorize this damn thing when it comes ashore. Many homeowners insurance hurricane deductible kicks in if a storm is labeled a hurricane vs. a tropical storm or even a massive extra tropical nor'easter.

The difference between, in my case, $1,000 or 5% of my home's value is, let's just say, a LOT. Homeowners beware.

I am posting a NYS listing of a ton of insurance companies and their hurricane policies. Very informative:

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/homeown/pdf/awindded.pdf

Archived