joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Earthquake

wxeyeNH

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know how long it shook? Curious because I sense my perception was probably way off but it really did feel longer. Like I said here it was a lower rumble/shake which caught my attention...felt like it eased for an instant and then got much more noticeable for what I'd think is 3 or 5 second and then done. Best part of it was every bug, dog, cricket went quiet during part 1, then all the dogs barked.

4-5 seconds i was told here

Just before the main event I felt a strange vibration. Lasted about 10 seconds. I said to my partner, what was that? Then within anothe 10 seconds a more violent shaking. I immediately turned off the TV and opened the sliders to see if I could hear a rumbling or echoing in the hills as it ended but things were silent. Looks like center was about 45 miles east of me.

Probably the P waves hitting you then the S waves...two different kinds of shaking or no?

I did not feel anything here. I never seem to luck out with earthquakes or thundersnow. I have never witnessed either. :(

I had thundersnow once when I was a 14 in Michigan associated with LE.

I moved to Massachusetts 4,003,123,445 years ago and seem to get thundersnow every winter at least once. ...except last year of course.

Apparently there are no real patterns to eartquakes that have occured in New England since record keeping started. None of the known fault lines are considered active. I remember a professor saying that in a geology class i took back in the late 1980's. The great Cape Ann quake (1750?) was centered off the coast.

Maine Quakes:

http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/explore/hazards/quake/quake-2.htm

Archived