• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Earthquake

wxeyeNH

I've heard that Cape Ann off shore 1755 temblor was 6.0 from one source and 6.3 from another. It's important, because the MM (moment magnitude) scale (used to be the R-scale until it was determined by geophysicists to be slightly inaccurate) is logarithmic. .1 or 1 ...can't recall which, is 32 times stronger; such that 6.3 is a hell of a lot more powerful than a 6.0. Reanalysis is only so useful in this case given the highly antiquated time and having so little structural components combined with veracious surviving accounts from which to draw valid conclusions. For all we know, it was even higher than a 6.3. ..or lower

Frankly, I have always had a problem with calling a fault inactive if it can jolt the crust for mid 6'er. It may simply have an excessively long periodicity between events but whatever the standardization is they use to judge whether a fault is dormant or not would mean garbage to the people at the top of the Prudential in Boston should 6.5 hit a mere 10 or 20 miles off shore of Cape Ann again. And of course, btw, nothing in the infrastructure and edifices of Boston is really built for that sort of ordeal - to put it real lightly.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a pretty good shaking (I'd actually describe more as a "vibration") and deep rumbling in Westbrook ME. It seemed to last about 20 seconds from start to finish. I was one of the thousands who first thought the furnace was blowing up. Lots of nervous neighbors in the street, but no damage in my vicinity.

Archived