• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Southeast Mid/Long Range Discussion I

WilkesboroDude

Let's wake up over here. December will be here in a couple of weeks and the models are starting to throw out some interesting forecasts.

Ya I agree this past month has been miles better than last already. We have already recorded 6 inches of snow were I live and we have had our lowest low of 16 degrees already and we have had some good string of lows in the teens already. This pattern we are currently in is way better than anything we saw last year. The pattern coming up looks like things may start right on time for Met Winter to be cold and possibly snowy.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's wake up over here. December will be here in a couple of weeks and the models are starting to throw out some interesting forecasts.

Agreed, I think we will have an interesting winter, unlike last winter. The only thing is its rare for non-mountain areas to get wintery weather in December, it could be 6-8 weeks before we realistically see any chances.

Well the thing that most intrigues me right now is the trough that is show to drop down around the 25th. The GFS is no were near as strong as the Euro. That would be one heck of a storm if the Euro was to very in the NE. The trough is much sharper on the Euro than the GFS. Interesting to see how that plays out.

6z GFS has an interesting setup out at 12 days. This is still too far out to get into specifics but if the general setup can happen we might be looking at a winter storm somewhere in the SE. After this frame it shows what could be a CAD event but hard to tell, after that (day 15) the high moves out a big warm up occurs. Like the euro last night maybe a big push of cold air into the NW. 6z GFS at day 12:

gfs_namer_288_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

US National Weather Service Blacksburg VA

Cold shot coming during the first week of December?

Although it appears highly technical, take a look at this graph. The bottom data shows changes in Global Atmospheric Angular Momentum or GLAAM. In brief, the speed of the rotation of the Earth can be altered, albeit very slightly, by winds and how they interact with mountains across the globe. Usually, a positive spike in the data precedes a cold snap, and leads to a "blocky" or "amplified" pattern, or one in which upper level winds are more likely to push colder air into our region. Currently, one of these spikes is occurring which may lead to a shot of much colder air during the first week of December. Notice the last spike in January, correlated with a high of 20 degrees in Blacksburg on January 3, 2012.

540098_443218075737134_894980720_n.jpg

Archived