• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Mid/Long Range Discussion I

WilkesboroDude

I am not as optimistic with more of a neutral ENSO setup now forecast.

Don't think it will make much of a difference.

Take this for whatever it's worth...but I read recently the ENSO status is not as important as a -NAO with regard to snowfall cover in NC, according to the climate data center for our state.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z run splits the PV up to 10 hPa if I'm looking at this right.

Very impressive run but it's out there in la la land.

Probably, but just getting it to la la land is a big step from last year... LOL

The AK block and a west-based -NAO sig in some form is a real possibility, however.

Probably, but just getting it to la la land is a big step from last year... LOL

The AK block and a west-based -NAO sig in some form is a real possibility, however.

Definitely what we want for cold and snow chances. I remember this setup occurred in 2009 or 2010 winter. Basically the two blocks merge over the pole and can significantly displace the vortex south. Obviously its way out in time on the models but good to see nonetheless.

Dbl block sig (AK and Greenland block) on 18z GFS at the end of the run. We never even came close to this kind of setup last winter, even in the 384 hr GFS runs!

ZpSfH.gif

Can someone give me a little education here, I'm trying to learn. Where's the double blocking in this model? Is it the green (higher height pressures) that forces the blues to come underneath? My understanding is the purples and blues are the polor vortexes correct? Just trying to get a little better at understanding all the talk here so I can follow. Thanks.

Don't think it will make much of a difference.

Take this for whatever it's worth...but I read recently the ENSO status is not as important as a -NAO with regard to snowfall cover in NC, according to the climate data center for our state.

Good points on the NAO and of course the AO (which were horribly positive for much of the year without winter of course). I think we may see 1 or 2 decent events outside the mountains with someone getting warning criteria snowfall.

Can someone give me a little education here, I'm trying to learn. Where's the double blocking in this model? Is it the green (higher height pressures) that forces the blues to come underneath? My understanding is the purples and blues are the polor vortexes correct? Just trying to get a little better at understanding all the talk here so I can follow. Thanks.

Yes, it's the combo of the closed high NW of Alaska and the ridge over Greenland. A better way to visualize this is via the height anomaly maps. For a -AO, we want to see heights that are higher than normal in the arctic regions / Greenland. This favors the movement of the cold air away from the poles and into the mid-latitudes. The stronger and more persistent that pattern stays in tact, the better. The NC State Climate Office has some good info on it here - http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/climate/patterns/NAO.html

500mbna.png

500mbnh.png

12z GFS continues the transition in the longer-range (10-15 day) bringing the AK block east and hooking up with western ridge, forcing the PV south and bringing about a strong Greenblock (-NAO) in place by day 15. It's pretty to look at, but does tell me that the AK block is an important feature to watch. We'll have to see how strong it develops and if it does hook up with the western ridge, fun times for December.

240 hrs:

azWzL.gif

336 hrs:

oDGmM.gif

384 hrs:

fJCdz.gif

12z GFS continues the transition in the longer-range (10-15 day) bringing the AK block east and hooking up with western ridge, forcing the PV south and bringing about a strong Greenblock (-NAO) in place by day 15. It's pretty to look at, but does tell me that the AK block is an important feature to watch. We'll have to see how strong it develops and if it does hook up with the western ridge, fun times for December.

The LR on the GFS is a thing of beauty. That's the setup right there we want for most of the winter. Just let the pac eject storms and roll into the GOM and we'll be in business. Of course we know how the GFS is with it's extreme solution but even it's just moderate it's still a good sign for this winter I would think.

The LR on the GFS is a thing of beauty. That's the setup right there we want for most of the winter. Just let the pac eject storms and roll into the GOM and we'll be in business. Of course we know how the GFS is with it's extreme solution but even it's just moderate it's still a good sign for this winter I would think.

I just hope it's not going to be wasted now and not be cold enough for snow, and then disappear when the real cold air comes later in Dec - Feb.

It is nice to see this solution even in lala land :lol:

For as good as the GFS looked in the LR the Euro looked bad. Granted the Euro only goes out to 10days, but looks nothing like the GFS, and shows a +NAO the whole run. With this and the just released seasonal models showing a +NAO for the winter, this isn't a great start to winter.

With Goofy everything could verify.... until we see some low teens in Miami :) That's when the doubt creeps in, lol. The end of the month has looked colder for a while now, and if it keeps getting better I won't complain. Robert was talking about double blocking a few days back, and I'd love to see it. It's just I worry about having good things in late Nov/early Dec, that might leave us with nada come Jan, and Feb. Last winter memories strike terror. Still, one of these years we'll get good things in Aces, and we'll have the winter they'll be talking about in 100 years...like the 1880's around here. It's so easy for hope to spring eternal in mid Nov., but what will we be thinking in a month? It'd sure help to get the weak Nino, for Atl. anyway. T

With Goofy everything could verify.... until we see some low teens in Miami smile.png That's when the doubt creeps in, lol. The end of the month has looked colder for a while now, and if it keeps getting better I won't complain. Robert was talking about double blocking a few days back, and I'd love to see it. It's just I worry about having good things in late Nov/early Dec, that might leave us with nada come Jan, and Feb. Last winter memories strike terror. Still, one of these years we'll get good things in Aces, and we'll have the winter they'll be talking about in 100 years...like the 1880's around here. It's so easy for hope to spring eternal in mid Nov., but what will we be thinking in a month? It'd sure help to get the weak Nino, for Atl. anyway. T

That is what I worry about and hope for at the same time. It just seems our weather the last decade has been one of extremes. Either we get nothing, or we get something huge.

That is what I worry about and hope for at the same time. It just seems our weather the last decade has been one of extremes. Either we get nothing, or we get something huge.

December is not my concern for CLT. I don't remember ever getting a good event in December (Christmas storm was VERY overated IMO for charlotte). December is a warm up for January and Feb.

On a seperate note, I thought yesterday both the EURO and the GFS were calling for the NAO to go negative later on. Has that now changed?

With Goofy everything could verify.... until we see some low teens in Miami smile.png That's when the doubt creeps in, lol. The end of the month has looked colder for a while now, and if it keeps getting better I won't complain. Robert was talking about double blocking a few days back, and I'd love to see it. It's just I worry about having good things in late Nov/early Dec, that might leave us with nada come Jan, and Feb. Last winter memories strike terror. Still, one of these years we'll get good things in Aces, and we'll have the winter they'll be talking about in 100 years...like the 1880's around here. It's so easy for hope to spring eternal in mid Nov., but what will we be thinking in a month? It'd sure help to get the weak Nino, for Atl. anyway. T

Haha true that. I think that's why many are so on edge about December, like I said in an earlier post if we can pull out a miracle at least we'll have something and the torment won't be as bad if Jan and Feb. produce nothing. Last winter was like sticking your hand in the cookie jar and pulling out a lump of coal.

December is not my concern for CLT. I don't remember ever getting a good event in December (Christmas storm was VERY overated IMO for charlotte). December is a warm up for January and Feb.

On a seperate note, I thought yesterday both the EURO and the GFS were calling for the NAO to go negative later on. Has that now changed?

It's hard to call any storm around Christmas that produces snow overrated. Yes we expected more and seemed to get the shaft compared to points north, west, south and east but hey the fact is snow began to fall on Christmas day which hadn't happened since 1942...I don't even think a flurry could be considered overrated given the circumstances.

I believe it was the Euro weeklies that called for the -NAO....GFS is still shoing a -NAO at the end of it's run.

Yep, it's like NFL teams in mid-August. Cold stratosphere is the biggest concern at the moment.

Until some other factor gets hyped up just a wee bit much. It's always some new topic that the talk of the board.. from NAO, to the EPO, to the MJO, to the GLAAM, and now stratospheric vortices. They all play a part, but which effects what?... or is it the other way around? That's the big question.

Until some other factor gets hyped up just a wee bit much. It's always some new topic that the talk of the board.. from NAO, to the EPO, to the MJO, to the GLAAM, and now stratospheric vortices. They all play a part, but which effects what?... or is it the other way around? That's the big question.

Yeah, know what you mean. The snow cover thread on the main board talks about the solid correlation between a cold stratosphere in Siberia in November and a +AO for Dec into Jan. So, that's the issue as so far the stratosphere has been cold through the first 1/2 of November. Still time for it to warm in second 1/2, but we'll see. Regardless, that correlation breaks down in the 2nd half of winter.

Yeah, know what you mean. The snow cover thread on the main board talks about the solid correlation between a cold stratosphere in Siberia in November and a +AO for Dec into Jan. So, that's the issue as so far the stratosphere has been cold through the first 1/2 of November. Still time for it to warm in second 1/2, but we'll see. Regardless, that correlation breaks down in the 2nd half of winter.

It surely was last year

It's hard to call any storm around Christmas that produces snow overrated. Yes we expected more and seemed to get the shaft compared to points north, west, south and east but hey the fact is snow began to fall on Christmas day which hadn't happened since 1942...I don't even think a flurry could be considered overrated given the circumstances.

I believe it was the Euro weeklies that called for the -NAO....GFS is still shoing a -NAO at the end of it's run.

That's kinda my point actually, December is not our snow zone. We/I don't expect it so what happens in December I'm not worried about. I just mentioned the Christmas storm to point out how it was out of the norm.

I'm computer challenged but yesterday somebody posted a bar graph showing both the EURO and the GFS NAO indices going negative at the end of the month. Then I heard EURO is now showing positive. Just curious on that.

Archived