Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Southeast Mid/Long Range Discussion I

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that trough right off the west coast is ugly.

Euro Ensemble 5h pattern gives solid support for a decent coastal storm for cool rains in parts of the Carolinas and Virginia this weekend (also seen on Euro and CMC). Some above normal heights showing up across the Arctic in the extended, so we'll have to see if that holds going forward.

The 00z GFS run is a keeper with tanking AO and NAO. One thing to watch for is this trough / upper low that is carved out over the SE and off the coast this weekend...it then gets kicked out to the east underneath the S Canada ridging, with below normal heights eventually extending out toward the Azores...and the GFS later develops additional ridging to its north over Greenland, combining for -NAO.

The 00z GFS run is a keeper with tanking AO and NAO. One thing to watch for is this trough / upper low that is carved out over the SE and off the coast this weekend...it then gets kicked out to the east underneath the S Canada ridging, with below normal heights eventually extending out toward the Azores...and the GFS later develops additional ridging to its north over Greenland, combining for -NAO.

12z:all models continue to show tanking NAO

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/12zNAOcomparison.html

I am not as optimistic with more of a neutral ENSO setup now forecast.

Well things can't be as bad as last year, that's for sure, although that isn't saying much. Hopefully ENSO is atleast neutral/positive and not neutral/negative as some models have now. With everything pointing to having a -NAO this winter that hopefully will give us some chances. Although if you read HM's comments on the sun activity and how that could lead to the NAO being positive, that doesn't give great comfort.

The CFSv2 was really dead on last year if you check out it's verifications, the fact that it has December trending colder is a positive too. Although I guess it could have been lucky.

summaryCFSv2.NaT2mProb.201212.gif

Looks like we're getting a good set up just a bit too early. Hopefully it'll show up again January or February.

Saw Van Denton ,FOX8 ,last night talking about thnaksgiving forecast.GFS is showing sunny and 60's.Euro is showing snow in Mountains ,rain here and 40's.He stated Euro is usually good on winter forecast.Anyone have any thoughts on this upcoming holiday?

Well to me that's good news, the longer we go without a -NAO the more likely we are to flip back to one later in the winter. I hope we stay positive through mid December. That's probably completely unscientific and not necessarily the case (as in last year) but it seems to make sense and makes me feel better.

Well to me that's good news, the longer we go without a -NAO the more likely we are to flip back to one later in the winter. I hope we stay positive through mid December. That's probably completely unscientific and not necessarily the case (as in last year) but it seems to make sense and makes me feel better.

I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of what we want.

Ask last winter how that turned out. It never really happened. I think last winter was so horrid we just want something to pop earlier to make us feel better. Either way for the last few runs the GFS has looked good in the long range and the Euro didn't look too bad at the end of it's run either last night at 00z.

I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of what we want.

I guess it just doesn't seem likely that a negative regime would last the winter if it took hold in mid/late November. Makes me wonder when it went from negative to positive last year. But yes, I guess anything is better than last year! The way Robert sounds, it's going to be the predominate set up this year. Gotta like that optimism...

I am not as optimistic with more of a neutral ENSO setup now forecast.

You think moving from weak El Nino to weak-weak El Nino/neutral-leaning-positive ENSO it going to make that much of a difference in everyone's thoughts? Other than the obvious differences between strong and weak ENSO states, this adjustment isn't going to change the overall view - that is, ENSO will be taking a back seat as a driving force this winter.

I guess it just doesn't seem likely that a negative regime would last the winter if it took hold in mid/late November. Makes me wonder when it went from negative to positive last year. But yes, I guess anything is better than last year! The way Robert sounds, it's going to be the predominate set up this year. Gotta like that optimism...

Here is the NAO for November of last year....care to guess what the rest of that winter looked like?

NAO-for-December-2011.gif

It's a complete reversal from last year where there were only a 2 or 3 short periods of weak neg. NAO states, since the summer we've only have a small handful of short, weak positive NAO states. We're headed straight back to neg. NAO territory once again.

It's a complete reversal from last year where there were only a 2 or 3 short periods of weak neg. NAO states, since the summer we've only have a small handful of short, weak positive NAO states. We're headed straight back to neg. NAO territory once again.

Yep, night and day. Here are the two images in a GIF to really see the difference...

1ffcd0b13ef093a05ddeb524abca2bbc.gif

That's interesting; good info all. Is that a known correlation; how the NAO performs in the fall is a foregleam into the winter? If that's the case than perhaps we have a good winter ahead.

Archived