Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Atlantic 2012 Fall Foliage / leaf discussion/tracking

stormitecture

Thank you. At least now I have a link.

As for cameras.....I'm sure others could make their own recommendations, but you can find some really good deals on older, but still very capable, DSLRs right now. I love my Nikon D300. Its a few generations old, but has wonderful IQ, an amazing AF system and a boat load of options. My sis has a canon 7d, which is newer and more expensive than the D300, but you really can't see much difference in the images that each produce. One of the more important things I would recommend if you're serious about getting good pics is saving up for good glass. In the long run, good glass will probably do you more good than the latest and greatest body.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...but you really can't see much difference in the images that each produce. One of the more important things I would recommend if you're serious about getting good pics is saving up for good glass. In the long run, good glass will probably do you more good than the latest and greatest body.

Yup....lenses it where it will make the difference, till you can go full sensor.

Thanks for the help, Klmwx!

Visited Peaks of Otter in Bedford Co this weekend. Saturday's weather was mostly cloudy with low cloudiness that obscured nearly everything, so we went to a festival in the city of Bedford. For anyone who's never been there, it's a beautiful little city with lots of small-town charm. All that and only minutes from the BR parkway and Peaks of Otter.

Stayed at the lodge on Sat night. Got up on a frosty morning Sunday and watched the sunrise over Lake Abbot. Highs in mid-60s at about 2500 ft. Perfect. You just couldn't imagine nicer setting and fall weather. We got really lucky. Accomadations are not much, but in that setting, who cares? Hiked to the summit of Sharp Top (elev 3875). Several rocky outrcops at the top from which a 360 degree view is possible. Simply breath-taking. Colors are showing nicely. By next weekend it'll be gorgeous. There wasn't much more color up there than there is at home. Many more maples down here I guess which show their colors earlier. Drove north on the Parkway for about 50 miles just enjoying the weather and the scenery. Stopped and hiked to Cascade Falls (mile marker 83). Parts are rocky and steep, but isn't bad. Carrying a child in a backpack made it a litte more challenging, but well worth the effort.

Awesome pics East Coast. Love the last one,. what a grand view. I will be down there in 3 weeks, probably will be a week or so past peak but still some good color I hope. Taking the BRP from Roanoke up to I 64 section.

I have a Nikon D40 and I love it. It is an older camera, about 5 yrs old or so, but it takes some nice photos for sure.

Has anyone ever done the South River Falls hike in Shenandoah? I'm planning some sort of trip for the weekend of the 19th - 21st, and one option is to car camp and do a hike or bike ride on each day. I've read that SRF hike is worthwhile, and if so, I'd make that one of the three activities. Also, I know that there are no guarantees, but does anyone have an idea how far along colors will be in that area of the park in two weeks?

Any other foliage day-biking or hiking suggestions in that area would be appreciated.

Storm looks to be right in that this weekend is going to be peak for the mountains of western MD/NE WV/PA. Healthy bit of color, with lots of oranges and a spattering of reds, out here (pretty too I might add) and no real threat of windstorms blowing away leaves either.

Temps progged to be mid 70's so break out the Harley's and enjoy the fall weekend out here.

yup, time to get out and run around. Granted right in central MoCo is looks kinda dry. But of course I'm not sticking around.

Go west young man...go west.

Head out 64 towards WV. Make a stop at Glade Creek Gist Mill. I think there's still color in that area and the pic opportunities at the mill are great.

If anyone knows, I'd love a color update for skyline drive. I'm thinking of heading down there on Saturday, but only if there's decent color left.

This reads to me that you should go but be flexible if you plan to hike as conditions are variable.

http://www.virginia.org/ShenandoahNationalParkFallFoliageReport/

A few of us are heading down Thursday afternoon and camping through Sunday. Currently planning to do Old Rag on Friday and at least South River Falls on Saturday. We aren't sure about Sunday but will decide once we see what areas have the better colors. Regardless, I'm sure it's going to be beautiful.

This reads to me that you should go but be flexible if you plan to hike as conditions are variable.

http://www.virginia....lFoliageReport/

A few of us are heading down Thursday afternoon and camping through Sunday. Currently planning to do Old Rag on Friday and at least South River Falls on Saturday. We aren't sure about Sunday but will decide once we see what areas have the better colors. Regardless, I'm sure it's going to be beautiful.

Have never done Old Rag and am considering doing it the week of Thanksgiving. Would appreciate any details / thoughts about your hike afterwards.

I did not head as far west as I had hoped, going only as far as Hancock, Maryland along the I-70 route. The clouds Sunday morning threw me off and I didn't head out early. I will say I did not see much in the way of significant color change. Western slopes are a tad more colored, but overall looks more dry than colored. I will make another attempt later in the week or next weekend (weather dependent of course).

Nice picture, WW. I'm surprised that the leaves aren't further along out there.

Have never done Old Rag and am considering doing it the week of Thanksgiving. Would appreciate any details / thoughts about your hike afterwards.

I've done Old Rag several times and it's a beautiful hike but like all the literature says, it does tend to be crowded. Last year my gf and I did it on Christmas Day and it was perfect. Hardly anyone on the trail and the leaves were down so the views were great. We may not be so lucky with the crowds this year, but we're planning to hit the trail head early to avoid any rush and to see the sunrise from the summit.

That's the plan, but we'll see if it actually happens. Sleeping bags are mighty comfy on a cold, dark morning!

Thanksgiving sounds like a great time to go. Obviously, just keep an eye out for any unusually cold, wet weather in the higher elevations leading up to your hike. Snow, and especially ice, make it dangerous to impossible on the boulders unless you have the right gear, and ice tends to linger on the rocks in the shaded and protected areas of the trail. But that's getting ahead of things. Like I said, Christmas last year was perfect.

I'll let you know how the weekend goes.

Archived