Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Atlantic 2012 Fall Foliage / leaf discussion/tracking

stormitecture

Very nice, Kenny!

I need to figure out when to go when colors are at their best, we want to take some pics before baby arrives

Today was a good reality check for me that I don't need to go all the way to Skyline. Just need to find a good place. I ended up at a place called Lake Frank down in MoCo.

Nice Pics K man,

I figured I had to make up for not driving down to Skyline!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm thinking a very nice backdrop to fall foliage pics would be the battlefields in our area. Has anyone been out near Antietam and/or Gettysburg recently and have an idea of what the color is like in those areas?

Also, if I remember correctly, Arlington National Cemetery has a decent number of Maple trees on its property, which made for some very nice pics last fall when I visited.

For any of those interested in heading out to the Valley, this weekend is peak - at least for elevations under 1600'. Local foliage certainly more vibrant than the last 2 years. Storms last night brought down a fair amount of leaves, however.

Standing atop Old Rag right now totally socked in by fog. Trying to wait it out. Growing breeze will hopefully push it out fast.

Standing atop Old Rag right now totally socked in by fog. Trying to wait it out. Growing breeze will hopefully push it out fast.

Surprised you can get signal there. Always seems pretty iffy when I'm up in the park. Hope the clouds break for you. How is the foliage at that elevation? I'm thinking about battling the traffic and getting up on The Drive tomorrow.

There's more color this early in Richmond than I recall in the past several years. Last year and the year before we were approaching Thanksgiving before I noticed the color. I would say we're probably 10-20% color at this point. It's probably not that anomalously early in the historical record, but it feels like it after last year.

Coming back down Fairfax County Parkway today, I noticed just how close we are to peak already. It was also a nice day on the golf course, if a little muggy and foggy, but the color of the trees made up for the drabness of the sky.

My lawn is starting to get that "clean it one day and the next it's covered again" feel.

Surprised you can get signal there. Always seems pretty iffy when I'm up in the park. Hope the clouds break for you. How is the foliage at that elevation? I'm thinking about battling the traffic and getting up on The Drive tomorrow.

Yeah, I only had a signal on the summit. Stayed up there until 12:30 and gave up. Of course, half way down the view TO the summit was great! Lol

Anyway, sitting in Luray now and it's beautiful. However, if you're making the drive for just the foliage, I honestly think our area looks as good or better. Like others have said, you don't have to go far to find it. But, if you're like me and like the drive and the country stops along the way, then by all means make the trip.

Not sure where we are hiking yet tomorrow but we should have better results than today! But either way, back at the campsite, the beer is cold!

Snapped a couple of dog walk pics today. Maples are peaking hard. Sumac's are bright yellow. Beech, oak, and poplar are still pretty weak. Dogwoods looking great.

Pepco trees are flourishing and multiplying.

Peak white ash:

Couple of maples side by side with different colors:

Really nice reds on this maple:

A really nice Pepco tree:

From Baltimore (Eutaw and Laurens) on Wednesday. Thinks are popping ultra fast now. Wednesday was still holding back, but yesterday and today, WOW the conversion is going fast.

IMG9512smug-M.jpg

Sorry if it is more "architecture" than fall color, but these trees were sooooo red.

+1 bonus points for who can find BOTH watermarks ;-)

Looking to head out tomorrow. If plan holds, the three Amigos (IonEllinWarrior trio) will be heading out together. First time since the chase expedition.

+1 bonus points for who can find BOTH watermarks ;-)

I see one on the rotunda, but I can't find the other.

Colors were pretty much past peak on the mountain today and some nearly bare already. ~3,500 feet. Down here in the valley everything is in full color.

Archived