• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Tuesday/Wednesday Storm

CT Rain

Several posts that were made towards the end of the event. More of the "bust" type posts and people shooting down an event just b/c nothing happened in their yard and then ridiculing forecasts.

It's the same thing every single event, both winter and summer, and it's absolutely annoying and just takes alot of the fun out of tracking and discussing the event.

Yeah you gotta ignore those people. Who cares what they say?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah you gotta ignore those people. Who cares what they say?

Yeah you're right. Not sure why I let it get to me so much.

That event I thought was a ton of fun from a meteorological perspective....there was so much going on and we really weren't all that far away form having a much bigger event, especially with those low topped supercells. I still wonder why they didn't produce...not just tornadoes but the lack of wind damage was amazing too. I wonder if that inversion just above 700mb played a major factor there?

Wiz, stop having a soft skin...you busted on that event (well sort of)...and you will bust on a lot of others. I bust on winter events and i keep posting. It happens. I do not care how good you are at forecasting, you WILL bust, and bust badly too.

You just pick yourself up and do it again...and hopefully learn from the last bust. That is key...learn from the bad ones.

Yeah you're right. Not sure why I let it get to me so much.

That event I thought was a ton of fun from a meteorological perspective....there was so much going on and we really weren't all that far away form having a much bigger event, especially with those low topped supercells. I still wonder why they didn't produce...not just tornadoes but the lack of wind damage was amazing too. I wonder if that inversion just above 700mb played a major factor there?

There are a lot of posters here who are worthless. Unless they get a damaging severe storm in their backyard the event is a bust. Watching the radar last Saturday was quite impressive... OKX issued 8 tornado warnings I think! We talked about that potential for low topped supercells and it came to fruition.

Weenies are weenies. At least in snowstorms everyone gets snow. The weenies during convection are about as annoying as they get with the IMBYism at a fever pitch.

Wiz, stop having a soft skin...you busted on that event (well sort of)...and you will bust on a lot of others. I bust on winter events and i keep posting. It happens. I do not care how good you are at forecasting, you WILL bust, and bust badly too.

You just pick yourself up and do it again...and hopefully learn from the last bust. That is key...learn from the bad ones.

I know I messed that up pretty badly about the line doing more here...I was just too into the parameters we had in place and completely didn't pay attention to what the s/w was doing and how it was further NW than models had indicated...certainly something to start paying more attention towards in the future.

There are a lot of posters here who are worthless. Unless they get a damaging severe storm in their backyard the event is a bust. Watching the radar last Saturday was quite impressive... OKX issued 8 tornado warnings I think! We talked about that potential for low topped supercells and it came to fruition.

Weenies are weenies. At least in snowstorms everyone gets snow. The weenies during convection are about as annoying as they get with the IMBYism at a fever pitch.

You would think more people on here would be more understanding when it comes to convection, especially given the knowledge of people here is higher than the public but I guess that isn't the case.

When was the last non-tropical September damaging wind event?

I am having a tough time believing now we have any chance of getting low 70's dews in here....perhaps the case will be different for coastal CT but it doesn't look good.

Even looking at bufkit for BDL the NAM doesn't have a great deal of winds at the surface...at the most we see like 32 knots or so...that's decent but it's certainly not anything unprecedented. Perhaps with a soggy ground with rain that day a rotted tree will get blown over.

I don't see any issue from a synoptic end for convectively transferred winds in our portion of the slight risk. I don't see something like 2 weekends ago happening tomorrow with improper s/w positioning etc. The depth of the CAPE has my worry for limited updraft growth and generally more of a recipe for heavy rain with 30-50mph wind transfer instead.

I don't see any issue from a synoptic end for convectively transferred winds in our portion of the slight risk. I don't see something like 2 weekends ago happening tomorrow with improper s/w positioning etc. The depth of the CAPE has my worry for limited updraft growth and generally more of a recipe for heavy rain with 30-50mph wind transfer instead.

Agreed. That's what I saw. Pretty good storm for September standards anyways.

Agreed. That's what I saw. Pretty good storm for September standards anyways.

I agree with that. These winds in the low levels are amazing and several SD above normal.

Meanwhile, NC-VA-MD-DE-PA-S NJ look good for severe weather. Even there, I'd like to see better CAPE depths penetrate into MD / PA. Still, it is sufficent.

Going to be rocking and rolling tomorrow afternoon and evening at the summit restaurant. Will be fun working in mountain operations and see how it transpires tomorrow evening. I like 60kts at 925mb and 80kts at 850mb...right where I'll be tomorrow evening, a shade under 4000ft.

From BTV...

. Short and medium range models are in fairly good agreement in regards to storm total quantitative precipitation forecast with a widespread soaking 1-2 inch rainfall likely...and the potential for isolated 3 inch amounts on south facing slopes of Adirondacks and perhaps the southern greens. As mentioned...this system will also exhibit a strong low level jet of 50-60kts at 925mb and 70-80kt at 850mb."

For the lower elevations below 2000ft, it's going to depend on whether we can get some strong wind fields in ahead of the rain. Once it starts pouring it may be difficult to mix those down unless there's some convective element in the rain shield. Seen this too often where it stabilizes quickly in the rain and all we get is a bunch of "meh" posts on here and ASOS are 10G17 type stuff.

For the lower elevations below 2000ft, it's going to depend on whether we can get some strong wind fields in ahead of the rain. Once it starts pouring it may be difficult to mix those down unless there's some convective element in the rain shield. Seen this too often where it stabilizes quickly in the rain and all we get is a bunch of "meh" posts on here and ASOS are 10G17 type stuff.

Yep, that's true. Regardless, it will be ripping on the mtn sides.

best winds will probably be ahead of the main line of rain as we saw last saturday

Yep, that's true. Regardless, it will be ripping on the mtn sides.

Yeah, the grids are showing the strong winds above 2500ft...I like when the point 'n click is showing "strong and damaging winds."

Tuesday Rain, mainly after noon. High near 57. Strong and damaging winds, with a south wind 26 to 36 mph increasing to 55 to 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Tuesday Night Rain. Low around 40. Strong and damaging winds, with a south wind 60 to 70 mph.

Archived