joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Find your exact elevation here

ineedsnow

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff in this thread. Elevation FTW.

Side note: Today in meteorology we talked about converting Z time to eastern time and different time zones across the US. Finished the work before she finished explaining...so at least 3 winters of tracking winter storms on here has taught me something lol. :weenie:

You will probably find intro boring. Youre at Plym right? Is Aviles teaching that?

Blue Hills has a high variance because of their location, but they can snow with the best of them.

The same rules do not apply directly on the coast with that elevation. There's definitely a sharper increase with elevation when you are that close to the ocean influence.

Yeah that's why I threw that out at Kevin. A 34F catpaw for me, is 32F accumulating snow there. Plus, 635' is respectable.

Man that COOP site is a disaster, has Nfoster as ave 25 inches a year and even the years with good snows it is sorely wrong. I do like the interface but the records are mega messed up. Even in Kingston RI they have Feb 78 with only like 5 inches of snow. IDK but somethings amiss.

Man that COOP site is a disaster, has Nfoster as ave 25 inches a year and even the years with good snows it is sorely wrong. I do like the interface but the records are mega messed up. Even in Kingston RI they have Feb 78 with only like 5 inches of snow. IDK but somethings amiss.

ah I see have to use the COOP layer click off all the others.

I have 24.7"? What did you do? You have to choose monthly first.

Interior SNE at elevation will beat the valley locations of NNE about once every 3-4 years or so on average.

We'd probably only beat your town at 800-850 feet about once per 15-20 years or so...the upslope areas get their fluff even if they are whiffing on synoptic snows, but the non-upslope areas can be left in the dust relatively easily.

Years where ORH and nearby beat BTV are as follows:

2011-2012

2005-2006

2004-2005

2002-2003

1995-1996

1992-1993

1987-1988

1986-1987

1983-1984

1976-1977

1966-1967

1964-1965

1963-1964

1961-1962

1960-1961 (I can't believe how bad BTV did this year...they got less snow than M.A. folks)

1957-1958

1956-1957

1955-1956

Awesome stats, Will. I was really hoping you'd run those numbers... which is why I mentioned BTV.

But is this years that ORH beat BTV? You say "and nearby" but what does that mean? ORH at 1,000ft is typically the snowiest station in SNE... how would BTV (in a big downsloping valley) compare to a spot like BDL (also in valley)?

Plus BTV is one odd spot in terms of New England snowfall because what is favorable to BTV (literally the furthest NW you can get in New England) isn't going to be favorable for a good chunk of New England...likewise, what is favorable for SNE or ENE won't be for BTV. The climo there is closer to upstate NY's climo... so like when upstate NY (SYR/ALB/ART/MSS/SLK) do well, BTV will usually as well.

Also BTV does get freakish occurrences like either really low snowfall from downslope or high snowfall from Champlain Valley convergence and orographic blocking. Like 2009-2010 was low everywhere in New England, but BTV was above normal by 12" from the freak 37-inch meso-scale event January 1-3, 2010.

Only Stafford Springs...and the snowfall data from there is extremely sparse.

The coop in Stafford Springs was run by the town until 2002 (?) and they decided to withdrawl from the program at which point the current guy in Staffordville started being the coop. Prior to his starting, the Stafford Springs station only did temperatures and precip...they did not measure snow.

The Staffordville guy lives right on the lake so I think he has some issues sometimes with blowing and drifting. If I was in town at the time I would have volunteered, but I was living 5 miles away in Somers at the time.

The tool puts me at 667' and my seasonal average has been 57.4". I have the data to back that up and I've been measuring the same way for the past 27 seasons - when the snowfall ends, I measure.

Yeah that's why I threw that out at Kevin. A 34F catpaw for me, is 32F accumulating snow there. Plus, 635' is respectable.

Yeah that's a decent elevation in New England to at least keep away the lowest level warming events. Its really only 150ft (like a tall tree or two) away from where I'm sitting right now.

It would be sick if there were some like 1,000-2,000ft hills immediately on the ocean. Just think of the orographics and snowfall...boom.

Yeah that's a decent elevation in New England to at least keep away the lowest level warming events. Its really only 150ft (like a tall tree or two) away from where I'm sitting right now.

It would be sick if there were some like 1,000-2,000ft hills immediately on the ocean. Just think of the orographics and snowfall...boom.

Maine

With respect to biodiversity I have noticed that here and in elevations between 750-1,300' in Northeastern Connecticut there are stands of White Birch and Mt Laurel that do not exist in any great amounts as one travels south.

Mountain Laurel are very common around here. White birch, extremely rare (assuming you mean Paper or Yellow birch)...but we've got white barked "old field" birch and millions of sweet birch (which is closely related to yellow birch).

Its very difficult to average way more than a location nearby at similar elevation...the only way to do it is if there is a very large orographic advantage such as that elevated plateau area near Norfolk, CT that allows them to get probably an additional 15" per year on LES and then a little more on general upslope in other events...and they'll clean up while elevated areas to the south of them will get significantly less.

Agree fully... over the time of a climate period, having a mound of dirt 200 feet higher than you within 1/4 mile isn't going to make a difference one way or another, nor will that 200ft higher hill really average all that much more. Maybe an inch? 1/5" per storm?

Elevation should add a few inches per year but I'd think its gotta be a 500ft+ difference in elevation to make a real noticeable difference of more than an inch or two per year. But I may be biased in a way that I don't see that much difference in snowfall based on elevation around here, but more proximity to a large orographic barrier.

I really don't see much of a difference here between 700ft and 1,200ft if that 1,200ft elevation point is away from the Spine. There are spots at 800-900ft that get a lot more snow in this area, than places as high as 1,500ft out in NE VT. The VT precipitation map shows some of this, as the red dot in the yellow is the center of Stowe at 700ft leading up to the ski resort on the county border at 1,500ft. There are elevations at 900ft that are in the dark green shading before the elevation starts to go straight up.

But like, Will said above, this is the only way its possible to average way more than a location nearby at a similar elevation. 800ft on the east side of Stowe is not the same as 800ft on the west side of Stowe (such as in the Nebraska Valley where low elevation butts right up next to the geographic spine). This is the same reason why J.Spin lives in probably the snowiest 500ft elevation location in New England...in fact I'd just about guarantee it. Again, not talking snow retention or snowpack... just the raw number of flakes that stack up out of the sky during the course of a winter.

Archived