joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Find your exact elevation here

ineedsnow

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think its possible that anywhere in RI or that close there gets 10-15" more than N Foster. That would be about a 70-75" average which is on par with the 1,000 foot hills just to my NW in Holden.

They might retain snow a lot better than N Foster if they are elevated, but also somewhat protected as well. That can make it appear they average a lot more snow since when you drive by there, its always a lot more on the ground.

I will disagree on your assumptions of retaining cover and my perception, been around the block long enough to know better. It is only 1.5 miles from my house. I think I will keep track this winter just for giggles and compare against mine and N Foster. that is if it snows ever again enough to make a difference.

I will disagree on your assumptions of retaining cover and my perception, been around the block long enough to know better. It is only 1.5 miles from my house. I think I will keep track this winter just for giggles and compare against mine and N Foster. that is if it snows ever again enough to make a difference.

But how can they avg so much? It doesn't make sense.

We'll agree to disagree on that.

I don't think there is any chance that a place at 790 feet on the RI/CT border averages 70-75" of snow per season.

Right. Should be great for my wife while she's here getting burried and I'm over in Rockland or Orange County NY getting rained on during the week. At least I may be able to come home to snow on weekends.

Dude, you aren't moving to Long Island. Whats your average snowfall now in CT? My average is right around 45" where I am in Orange.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/SnowClimo/SnowClimoMain1.html

I said guesstimate, not even sure, but everyone knows there are certain weenie spots all around, if its 5 that makes it 65, who knows? I do know that other than NFoster there are zero records in that area. Same with Litchfield Hills, spotty coverage at elevation. There are posters right on this board who know exactly what I am saying. Retention is for places like Hells Hallow.

LOL..even i would never make such a ridonkulous claim as that

Its very difficult to average way more than a location nearby at similar elevation...the only way to do it is if there is a very large orographic advantage such as that elevated plateau area near Norfolk, CT that allows them to get probably an additional 15" per year on LES and then a little more on general upslope in other events...and they'll clean up while elevated areas to the south of them will get significantly less.

The east slopes of the Monads/ORH hills and even down into NW RI do get an orographic advantage compared to the west slopes, but its not large enough to cause a 15" discrepancy in snowfall over a few miles at similar elevation.

You can see a 10-15" discrepancy over perhaps 20-25 miles at similar elevation with the orographic differences in the central hill chain...but even that is now being influenced by distance from the ocean and influence from the Berkshires to the west...a lot of factors.

But the terrain is just not prolific enough to produce 10-15" seasonal discrepancies over a 5 mile distance when the elevation is within a couple hundred feet of eachother.

Snowfall retention is a whole different story though.

It was pretty accurate for me. If you click slightly off, the elevation you get will reflect that. If you live on a steep hill a wrong click can be the difference of 20-30'. I did click a little high I think and my elevation is about 970', not 995'.

anyway, here are some maps of my exact location and also my exact location zoomed out.

The red dot is my house, the blue dot is Goshen, the green dot is Norfolk, the purple dot is Bakerville, that place that got a frost the other night and finally the yellow dot is Hartland, CTs second icebox.

post-640-0-93622900-1347462532_thumb.png

post-640-0-03470900-1347462539_thumb.png

Its very difficult to average way more than a location nearby at similar elevation...the only way to do it is if there is a very large orographic advantage such as that elevated plateau area near Norfolk, CT that allows them to get probably an additional 15" per year on LES and then a little more on general upslope in other events...and they'll clean up while elevated areas to the south of them will get significantly less.

The east slopes of the Monads/ORH hills and even down into NW RI do get an orographic advantage compared to the west slopes, but its not large enough to cause a 15" discrepancy in snowfall over a few miles at similar elevation.

You can see a 10-15" discrepancy over perhaps 20-25 miles at similar elevation with the orographic differences in the central hill chain...but even that is now being influenced by distance from the ocean and influence from the Berkshires to the west...a lot of factors.

But the terrain is just not prolific enough to produce 10-15" seasonal discrepancies over a 5 mile distance when the elevation is within a couple hundred feet of eachother.

Do these scattered 1,000 foot hils in NE CT get any enhancement at all? The joke I know is they get downsloped..and only upslope on a SE wind which in the winter helps about once a winter..but putting those things aside...

See my post above you. The lack of recorded snow fall is an issue. I believe Kevin and over the years he has averaged well above the 60 you peg him at because some coop records show that. You know that winter hill is a weenie spot, how much does that average above you? You do not really know do you/ just sayin....

Do these scattered 1,000 foot hils in NE CT get any enhancement at all? The joke I know is they get downsloped..and only upslope on a SE wind which in the winter helps about once a winter..but putting those things aside...

I believe your reporting, you know as well as I do that some spots out of the COOP records are weenie spots. oh yea the answer is no

I believe your reporting, you know as well as I do that some spots out of the COOP records are weenie spots. oh yea the answer is no

Doesn't all of this micro climate data discussion ring similar to the same debates that had Kevin defending dew temps in specified locations (his and other backyards) all summer long vs. open field or airport locations?

Data is just not going to be available for every patch of forest. Extrapolation/ estimating via the data from surrounding areas is the best that can be done in certain cases, outside of actually driving out to said weenie spot after every snow.

With that being said, why can't it be possible for Steve's little snow magnet of a location to exist?

Archived