• December 5, 2007
    • March 1-2, 2009
    • January 30, 2010
    • February 2-3, 2010
    • October 29, 2011
    • December 14, 2003
    • January 19, 2002

Only two on the list for me

March 09, flew back from Denver (where I had just gotten engaged) to snow. Funny enough, it never snowed while I was in Denver

Jan 2010, got an extra day off of work for the new year holiday, which was great as I had just bought the almost 6k piece Lego Taj Mahal the night before, so I was excited to have an extra day to put it together (yup, I am a Lego nerd)

December 5, 2002 was one of my favorites........as a 12 year old kid I was amazed to see so much snow (8 inches) so early in the season, coming right after 01-02 and the horrid summer of 2002. The clipper that came a month later was a nice surprise (we got 3-5" instead of 1" like they thought).

December 2003 was huge up my way, Jan 2004 was a lot of fun with two back to back storms and a nice glaze of zr on top. The clipper of 12/5/07 seemed similar to Jan 2003, another nice surprise.

Last October was amazing, and that was mostly because I had the chance to drive north and catch some very heavy snow bands. Incredible considering the month it was.

Voted for:

Feb. 6-7, 2003

Mar. 1-2, 2009

Jan. 30, 2010

Feb. 2-3, 2010

EDIT: Wanted to mention one I love that's not on the list- Dec. 24-25, 2002

I could only do 20 and considered that one, but didn't make the cut because of the changeover and lackluster totals in much of the area....in hindsight the fact that it was Christmas should probably have put it on the list ahead of the underwhelming snow to rain joke that was 1/19/02

Dec 14, 2003. Must admit that I don't really remember it. But any snow that falls in the lead-up to Christmas is getting my vote. I'd liked to have seen Dec 5, 2009 on that list.

My other vote was for jan 30, 2010. Even if it didn't snow hard, it snowed steadily all-day with high-temps in the very low teens. Add in some model-projected excitement to come over the next week, and you have yourself a great day and event.

Dec 14, 2003. Must admit that I don't really remember it. But any snow that falls in the lead-up to Christmas is getting my vote. I'd liked to have seen Dec 5, 2009 on that list.

My other vote was for jan 30, 2010. Even if it didn't snow hard, it snowed steadily all-day with high-temps in the very low teens. Add in some model-projected excitement to come over the next week, and you have yourself a great day and event.

i could have done 12/5/09...It was underwhelming IMBY so i was biased against it and the real moderate totals were far out from DC

12.14.03 was a snow to rain monstrosity...I should probably remove that abortion from the list

i could have done 12/5/09...It was underwhelming IMBY so i was biased against it and the real moderate totals were far out from DC

12.14.03 was a snow to rain monstrosity...I should probably remove that abortion from the list

i would restrict the list to all/mostly snow events

Did 1/30/00 give anything there or was it just a hills/suburbs event.

another I thought about and maybe should have included...really nice event for the burbs....I got 1-2" of slop/ice/sleet etc...it was cold so it was nasty...I almost slipped on some steps...I remember being pissed about the storm and focused on the super bowl...But yeah...the far burbs killed it

you guys absolutely killed it in that pattern...I think you did well too in the 2 forgotten events (1/18 and 2/3), definitely in the latter

I wouldn't be surprised if you neared 30 inches in those 2 weeks

Thats a pretty sweet timeframe for here. To bad I was in Richmond in 2000 but got that big snow Jan 25 2000 down there, so it kind of evens out

I think we had snow on the ground for some 3 weeks here....... not bad for one of the nation's warmest winters ever.

Actually the #1 warmest winter on record for the U.S.

That was essentially the only cold period of the entire winter. It ended in February and then we furnaced right through March.

It was a very cold/wintry stretch though. I was up at Ithaca, NY for my freshman year of college and we had a couple of legit arctic airmasses which were much more noticeable when the rest of the winter was so warm.

Actually the #1 warmest winter on record for the U.S.

That was essentially the only cold period of the entire winter. It ended in February and then we furnaced right through March.

It was a very cold/wintry stretch though. I was up at Ithaca, NY for my freshman year of college and we had a couple of legit arctic airmasses which were much more noticeable when the rest of the winter was so warm.

Thanks, just wasn't sure if last winter had surpassed it.

That 2-3 week stretch singlehandedly made 99-00 into a good winter here and a legendary one in the Carolinas (20"+ in Raleigh on 1/25 :o )

you guys absolutely killed it in that pattern...I think you did well too in the 2 forgotten events (1/18 and 2/3), definitely in the latter

I wouldn't be surprised if you neared 30 inches in those 2 weeks

I was living in Silver Spring then, but it was the last winter they measured snowfall at MRB.

They recorded 6" on 1/20, 8" on 1/25 and 10" on 1/30-31.

Thanks, just wasn't sure if last winter had surpassed it.

That 2-3 week stretch singlehandedly made 99-00 into a good winter here and a legendary one in the Carolinas (20"+ in Raleigh on 1/25 :o )

Last winter was 4th warmest on record for the CONUS...hard to believe there were 3 others warmer.

We definitely never saw anything like that 3 week stretch in '99-'00 though last winter. Even a solid 3 week period in an otherwise catastrophic winter can change the perception a little bit. Esp for an area like DCA where you can salvage a winter with a couple of solid events...and certainly for the Carolinas.

But even up in NY State that period was pretty fun...constant cold and light snow events with the one big one on 1/25/00....but man did it end abruptly, lol.

How is December 20, 2009 not on this list. We had like 20+ inches around the DC area. It was the first of the big three storms of the epic season. I agree Dec. 5, 2009 was OK, but the 20th was bad-ass! I have actually made the most money of THAT storm than even Feb. 2010 (snowmageddon).

Probably because Dec 19-20, 2009 does not qualify as a moderate event....unless you live in Lake Tahoe or the Cascades.

Archived