• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA thread - Spring-like weather now, but...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woot woot fall be sneaking up on ye? Parents said low 70s and more of that on the way, I'd say I'm a little jealous of that! If the Euro has its way,hot summer may finally be dead.

it's looking that way, i certainly hope it's true.

Off topic: might be following you down to texas, potter. Got laid off last week and the cheap property/high salaries down there are mighty attractive.

it's looking that way, i certainly hope it's true.

Off topic: might be following you down to texas, potter. Got laid off last week and the cheap property/high salaries down there are mighty attractive.

I hope it looks that way, I'm ready for fall. Ohhhh Nooo, I'm sorry to hear about being laid off, thats a feeling I hope to not feel again for awhile. But yes, if you are looking for jobs, Texas has plenty to offer, especially Houston. Best of luck on whatever you decide, and hope all goes well on the job hunt. Keep us posted.

what a show last evening, lots of thunder, heavy rain and about 2 hours of lightning. Multiple lightning strikes in the Harrisburg area, several in Dauphin County that started fires.(resd. and one at the Beth. Steel Plant) Wegmans in Cumberland County got hit as well. Streets in Cumberland county flooded from the heavy rainfall.

Avaition Dave and i were talking on FB as that storm was rolling in, the cell that went through Perry, Juniata, Mifflin and upper Dauphin was really amped up, we both thought some rotation would have come from that. In addition, there was another cell that moved through Adams and Franklin County that looked good too. Not sure if the pic Zac posted is from that cell or not.

I saw on the news this am there was a fire at Ft. Indiantown Gap, i wonder if that was from a lightning strike?

http://www.mattmiles...layoutfile/home

link will show some pics from the Wegmans in Cumberland County as well as the one fire from a lightning strike in Dauphin County!

Below is story on Pennlive

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/08/severe_lightning_storm_causes.html#incart_river_default

From that story:

In Dauphin County alone there were 27 fire calls between 10 p.m. and 6 p.m., according to the 911 center. This morning, investigators are trying to determine if a lightning strike caused a fire at a home in the 3200 block of Brookfield Road in Susquehanna Township.

The old steel plant in Steelton apparently was hit and caught fire, too. Wegmans has some pretty cool pictures from the fire in their tower on their FB page.

I did. Some guy fell through his roof in Silver Spring Township too while he was investigating a leak or lightning strike.

I knew it was tons of lightning for hours but didn't realize it was CTG so much.

it looked pretty intense as it moved into our area. The back of my house faces West, i should have got the camera and tried to get pics as i watched the strikes up along the mountain.

Drove over 700 miles yesterday and literally didn't see anything until some cells started to pop southeast of Harrisburg between about 6 and 6:30.

Was heading east on I-76 when one cell in particular started to get really impressive on radar. I also spotted a pretty nice looking building storm, but we decided to keep heading east. Not the best idea, because little did I realize we were in a no-exit zone and basically ended up missing the severe storm over the Mount Joy area. The cell to the north ended up turning north and almost made a left-turn. That, too, went severe.

First image is shortly before 7:00 p.m. and second has a time-stamp.

post-533-0-55611600-1345039660_thumb.jpg

post-533-0-96672200-1345039668_thumb.jpg

Wow that's an impressive picture Quincy!!!! What's going on for tommorrow? Looks by the radar like a major dud...and no real instability to speak of. Maybe a surprise for south and east areas, but it looks like the good stuff took a detour down to the Tennessee Valley.

The severe setup looks marginal, but I could see a few storms reach strong to severe limits pretty much anywhere in east-central or northeast PA.

Archived