• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA thread - Spring-like weather now, but...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ No

EDIT: I can't say 'no' enough.

Yeah, after last years tornado, then Hurricane Irene and the flooding, and the loss of power, calm would be OK in my area. I'll just wait for the snow...

and that thing has a loooooooooong way to go before there is any good guess's..

but yeah, i agree........NO

We've got a ways to go before we know if Isaac will have an major, minor, or non influence on our weather in PA.

Yea we def have a while yet before we'll be able to confidently forecast what impacts (if any) Isaac will have on the US. But it does appear to be the first legitimate long tracking storm of the year so it will have to be watched closely by everyone with coastal interests for the next several days. Isaac is already still at a relatively low latitude for how far west it is, so I would be leaning toward someone in the US dealing with this storm down the road over a curvature back out to sea. Current forecasts generally track Isaac over Hispaniola and/or Cuba..eventually tracking into/near Florida and into the southeast. If that occurs it will obviously significantly stunt the potential development of this system and make for more of a tropical storm/minimal hurricane type deal. However, a track that ends up further south would invite less land influence and a potential stronger Gulf threat. A track that jogs further north would also lessen time over land bringing it out into the Bahamas and perhaps eventually making an East Coast/Carolinas threat.

Yea we def have a while yet before we'll be able to confidently forecast what impacts (if any) Isaac will have on the US. But it does appear to be the first legitimate long tracking storm of the year so it will have to be watched closely by everyone with coastal interests for the next several days. Isaac is already still at a relatively low latitude for how far west it is, so I would be leaning toward someone in the US dealing with this storm down the road over a curvature back out to sea. Current forecasts generally track Isaac over Hispaniola and/or Cuba..eventually tracking into/near Florida and into the southeast. If that occurs it will obviously significantly stunt the potential development of this system and make for more of a tropical storm/minimal hurricane type deal. However, a track that ends up further south would invite less land influence and a potential stronger Gulf threat. A track that jogs further north would also lessen time over land bringing it out into the Bahamas and perhaps eventually making an East Coast/Carolinas threat.

I really hope we get some rain from it (not looking very likely unfortunately). We've quietly become fairly dry around here and the extended doesn't look real promising.

I really hope we get some rain from it (not looking very likely unfortunately). We've quietly become fairly dry around here and the extended doesn't look real promising.

Jamie,

i think i heard on the news last night that we are around +2" down here in the flat lands. i didn't realize you weren't getting the rain we have had.

Jamie,

i think i heard on the news last night that we are around +2" down here in the flat lands. i didn't realize you weren't getting the rain we have had.

Yeah, not getting much...not totally dry but below normal. UNV is at 1.86, MBY is at 1.67. Doubt we get the normal of 3.55 by end of month.

PSU alum, of these stations - who would say gives the best forecasts?

06 WATM ABC Altoona 07 WPXI NBC Pittsburgh 08 WTAJ CBS Altoona 09 WWCP Fox Altoona 10 WJAC NBC Johnstown 11 WPCW CW Pittsburgh

Not an alum (almost!), but I'm biased toward wjac. Try to get in touch with Joe Murgo, hes the chief there and a psu grad. Teaches meteo at altoona and comes up to main every once in a while. A few of us are up at the AMS conference in Boston and had a good talk with him yesterday.... He does a lot of work for the AMS and has a lot of good contacts, which would be great even if you don't want to do broadcast.

Not an alum (almost!), but I'm biased toward wjac. Try to get in touch with Joe Murgo, hes the chief there and a psu grad. Teaches meteo at altoona and comes up to main every once in a while. A few of us are up at the AMS conference in Boston and had a good talk with him yesterday.... He does a lot of work for the AMS and has a lot of good contacts, which would be great even if you don't want to do broadcast.

Joe Murgo is actually the chief at the WTAJ CBS station. Hazelton WTAJ and WJAC are usually the best stations for our area and both are represented in our C-PA thread with JSTWX (WJAC) and PSU8315 (WTAJ).

PSU alum, of these stations - who would say gives the best forecasts?

06 WATM ABC Altoona 07 WPXI NBC Pittsburgh 08 WTAJ CBS Altoona 09 WWCP Fox Altoona 10 WJAC NBC Johnstown 11 WPCW CW Pittsburgh

It's a wash, really, to me. WTAJ can be a bit more conservative.

FOX is basically WJAC's crew, I believe.

I have to say, and I hope mets from those stations here see this, one of the things I was a bit concerned about when I first moved here was lack of decent local TV weather. You guys have gone above my expectations and I think we are fortunate to have two solid crews. That's not true in every small DMA.

Basically a tornado rolling by my work place.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE PA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

WESTERN FRANKLIN COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

EAST CENTRAL FULTON COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...

* UNTIL 230 PM EDT

* AT 159 PM EDT...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A TORNADO NEAR

GREENCASTLE. THE STORM CONTAINING THE TORNADO WAS NEAR

WARRENTON...MOVING NORTH AT 25 MPH.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

504 PM EDT MON AUG 27 2012

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

...TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR GREENCASTLE IN FRANKLIN COUNTY

PENNSYLVANIA...

LOCATION...NEAR GREENCASTLE IN FRANKLIN COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA

DATE...8/26/2012

ESTIMATED TIME...1356 EDT

MAXIMUM F-SCALE RATING...EF0

ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...85 MPH

MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...100 YARDS

PATH LENGTH...6 MILES

* FATALITIES...0

* INJURIES...0

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO

CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN NWS

STORM DATA.

...SUMMARY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE PA HAS CONFIRMED A

TORNADO NEAR GREENCASTLE IN FRANKLIN COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA ON

8/26/2012.

A TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN AROUND 1:56 PM ON AUGUST 26 2012 ALONG THE

13000 BLOCK OF WILLIAMSPORT PIKE IN ANTRIM TOWNSHIP...WHERE IT BLEW

A ROOF OFF OF A BARN AND MOVED A FARM WAGON. THE PATH OF THE EF0

TORNADO WAS APPROXIMATELY 100 YARDS WIDE AT ITS WIDEST POINT...AND

THE TORNADO PRODUCED SPORADIC TREE AND CROP DAMAGE ALONG ITS

APPROXIMATELY SIX MILE PATH. THE TORNADO FINALLY LIFTED UP AROUND

2:07 PM NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF WILLIAMSON AND GUITNER ROADS IN

ANTRIM TOWNSHIP...WHERE IT BLEW PART OF A ROOF OFF OF A HOUSE.

Archived