• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Central PA thread - Spring-like weather now, but...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Total nonevet here. It rained a little but no wind at all.

Same here, except for rainfall. This is what I posted in the Philly thread a few minutes ago.

Was a relative non-event here except for the rainfall, which is up to 1.12" as I type. Looking at radar, the old squall line kind of fell apart to my west, and a new one is developing to my east. In that time of redevelopment, we had more of an individual cell structure here, with nothing even remotely severe.

Very hit or miss. Our lunch date today was ruined because power was out around the Nittany Mall area (going to Rey Azteca). A neighbor had a tree fall on his one shed. Driving over Skytop via the old way, there was branches down all over, on the other side of Skytop, little if any evidence of strong winds. The area around the mall had some large limbs down.

My brother was without power for two hours down in northern York County and his mother in law had a tree down in southern York County. Damage reports: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=PA&prodtype=public#LSRCTP

Chased to near York, pa. Was a lot of downed branches and even trees split in half. I went through about a 5 minute 60-65 mph wind gust and I had video and pictures but my phone crashed and I lost it all. I got a report into the NWS though before my phone went out.

1800 UNK 5 E THOMASVILLE YORK PA 3992 7678 6-8 INCH TREE LIMBS DOWN(CTP)

Chased to near York, pa. Was a lot of downed branches and even trees split in half. I went through about a 5 minute 60-65 mph wind gust and I had video and pictures but my phone crashed and I lost it all. I got a report into the NWS though before my phone went out.

Bad wind damage in east end of williamsport....large limbs down and trees split in half!

PPL's service map illustrated nicely where the worst areas were yesterday. There were 3 distinct pockets of power outages. The Williamsport area, Lancaster/York, and the southern Lehigh Valley. Elsewhere, outages were sporadic or non-existent.

Yeah, summer in the US is dead.

East Texas is getting to the 40s next week. Seriously!

If you take a look at the Millersville Univ. climatology stats for September, there is a 4 degree drop in the average high temperature and three degree drop in the average low within one week of September 26th. http://www.atmos.millersville.edu/~wic/climo/normals/September.html

This is roughly the same time numerical guidance is suggesting the first "legit" fall shot. Just an observation of mine, not saying this is an earth-shattering revelation.

Earliest sighting of laughably unrealistic fantasy snow on the GFS for my area....a new record has been set:

655056267.png?key=1024768&Expires=1347544225&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=II1J9eZnfaHmSsmUT5FGK-qhestAL-PgmSSrcbpzGlr6rM4w~LukBVVfINCY8CKrJlOwkiKCuzXvHfCNvLdiCFUEa1FrE2CiIc0Y0XF2g92qsMrslbwn9tQ3HNjLwPAkCwuf3G7vW~GUsitFA3xJQc5vmoB7Q1MqyAcIStMqchg_

It certainly looks pretty chilly and unsettled for the second half of the month. The NAO and AO are forecast to take a nosedive. Long range models might suggest the possibility of lake effect activity in the upper most areas like the U-P of Michigan being cold enough to support snow at times...but probably very briefly if at all. Thicknesses are def good enough as are 850 temps, but lower levels generally look too warm. Mainly because we're talking late September. Still a nice looking pattern that I hope we see say, in mid-late November. Right now i'd say there's a good bet we get our first frost out of the way before October this year with the way the longer range GFS/Euro are generally looking right now.

Also, we found out last year that snow apparently isn't entirely unrealistic at the end of Sept/early October.

post-1507-0-83389800-1347565294_thumb.jp

That was October 2nd last year up at the top of the Allegheny front above Bellwood. Though i'll take a later start to snow events over how the rest of last winter ended up after that event and the Oct 29th one.

Archived