• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Central PA thread - Spring-like weather now, but...

Why is no one talking about this giant rainstorm/heavy rain event coming tmrw night?

Don't know. This subforum has been rather quiet lately. Along with the rain, at least in my location, it's going to be quite windy with gusts to 30 mph forecasted on Tuesday. There is also a decent chance of severe weather for central and eastern PA as indicated on SPC's Day 3 map.

426300_474006495966087_1841321313_n.jpg

Some locations also dipped into the 30's this morning.

Bradford 37°F Butler 39°F New Castle 39°F

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a few maps to start off your Monday morning... SPC does have eastern PA in a 30% risk right now... I still say we seem to have better severe events when not in the target zone... Current TORCON for central and eastern PA is a 3. SPC and TORCON forecasts were nearly similar for last weekend (not quite same set up this time though) and it was nearly all a brief damaging wind event. This time around, more rain before gusty winds could present more of a threat in terms of bringing down trees/etc with a more saturated ground. HPC has a good portion of central/eastern PA in a slight risk for excessive rainfall with significant QPF potential. The models have been pretty consistent in showing a 1.5-2" rain event for KMDT since last week. Will be interesting to see how convective this system can become for some areas to reach above 2" for rainfall. With PWAT anomalies of at least 2-3 standard deviations... it does not take much instability to really tap into that moisture. Last September we had slightly higher PWAT anomaly values with a similar strong southerly wind and we know how much rain came from that. This system is not a tropical remnant so no repeat by any means, but to me this looks like greatest significant rainfall potential we have had since spring or since well last September.

post-285-0-72057600-1347882244_thumb.gif

post-285-0-38201600-1347882271_thumb.gif

post-285-0-07613000-1347884318_thumb.gif

Boy I hope we see this early and often out of the Gulf this winter, geesh I had to check the date on it.

post-1507-0-89592700-1347902519_thumb.gi

At any rate this looks one of our first decent rainstorms we've seen since the spring, and it looks to be a good soaker. In terms of severe, the big issue is going to mainly be with the frontal passage. Sort of similar to the event a couple Saturdays ago... If we get a convective line going with the front, it's going to tap some of the strong winds that aren't going to be too far aloft and perhaps produce some damaging winds. And once again i would think our eastern areas have the best chance of seeing some partial clearing/heating during the day tomorrow prior to the frontal passage thus making any squall line associated with the front more potent there. Timing looks better though than the last event with the front coming through later in the day so I def wouldn't completely rule out issues in the central.

Looks like a decent storm for ya folks. You are right mag, it is nice to see that Miller A machine rev its engine so early in the season! Rents told me they had a low of 37 the other night, not to shabby.

I saw you post a while back that you were going to be in Alaska for a month, which part are you gonna be at?

My thoughts on tomorrow.

The Hazardous Weather Prediction Center has issued a moderate risk of severe weather for Tuesday September 18th, 2012 for most of Maryland/New Jersey, Southeast New York, Eastern Pennsylvania, and Eastern Virginia. A slight risk surrounds the moderate risk. A potent cold front will push toward the region on Tuesday along with a strong low pressure system that will push northeast across Southeast Canada. Instability will not be great and could be a limiting factor however, str

ong forcing and low level winds pose a threat for a line of damaging winds. Also a few tornadoes are possible ahead and along a potential squall line due to increased low level shear. At this time 45% probabilities have been introduced with the black outlined area denoting a significant threat of severe weather. This system has a moderate busting level as well if the squall line struggles to develop, severe weather will be limited. Here is the categorical outlook, probabilities to follow.

339082_358703820880903_1898513003_o.jpg

464315_358704557547496_419950421_o.jpg

133829_358704714214147_285295540_o.jpg

Significant slug of rainfall over Eastern KY/TN and western WVA will continue to move itself into PA overnight... possibly focusing on the western and central thirds initially, but eventually delivering decent rainfall to everyone by daybreak.

Starting to watch the HRRR as it seems to have a pretty good handle on the large rain shield and is starting to get into the range of the possible wind issues with any convection tomorrow. Latest couple runs have had an NCFR type feature on it. Should note that its only into central PA by the edge of its range (approx mid-day/early afternoon) so it's probably not going to have a good handle on that type of a feature yet, but that's the kind of thing we'll be watching to possibly tap down the winds, which by the way are bonkers at 850mb (60-70kt easily). Further east and especially northeast towards BGM's high wind watch region would especially be interested in the evolution of any kind of squall line, as they are the best candidates to see a small amount of CAPE build up and aid the line or even a couple low topped cells prior to the front. Regardless, some decent winds (30-40mph+ gusts) are possible over all the high terrain (Laurels, high central ridges, Pocono's) IMO given such a strong low level jet.

I'm up to 1.07" already for the event. A short while ago I posted 0.87" in the Philly thread, but a shot of 2.00 inch/hour rates bumped that up pretty quick.

I'm at work, no gauge. I'll check the airport in a little bit. Wind picked up too, it waited until i had to go outside and blow sideways, my rain jacket did nothing to keep my legs dry..lol!

Archived