• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Central PA thread - Spring-like weather now, but...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised no one posted any fall colors pics yet. I'll start (or end) depending on what happens after this. This one was taken basically near downtown Tamaqua in a small park behind the grocery store. Funny how some of the nicest trees have the crappiest backgrounds.

I snapped a couple in town over a week ago, i was trying to wait for the peak colors to get more but it seems like some of the best ones came out pretty early this year.

post-1507-0-10034300-1350152054_thumb.pn

post-1507-0-31982300-1350151774_thumb.jp

Also, it has been quite the deer santuary this fall around the neighborhood

post-1507-0-57300700-1350152076_thumb.pn

Have you faking in love with chicken fried steak and banana pudding yet?

I actually tried that chicken fried steak, and just about hurled! It would have been alright I suppose if it wasn't saltier than deer lick. I actually like banana pudding :) I don't mind it down here though, the nights are perfect down here for walking around without a jacket or anything. Once November rolls around, I think I'm going to love the south. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to miss the snow, but fall is my second favorite season, and I heard the southern winters are like our fall, and if thats the case, I will be very happy.

It looks like our steady march towards winter is going to take a bit of a break as we get into the last full week of October next week. With the PNA taking a fairly significant dive, models have the cold and unsettled weather focusing in the northwestern part of the country and the potential for some pretty warm weather in our neck of the woods. Could be our Indian summer.

It looks like our steady march towards winter is going to take a bit of a break as we get into the last full week of October next week. With the PNA taking a fairly significant dive, models have the cold and unsettled weather focusing in the northwestern part of the country and the potential for some pretty warm weather in our neck of the woods. Could be our Indian summer.

post-272-0-19110900-1350516450_thumb.png

You're kidding, right?

Definitely looking warm for next week. Bring it on, cold is wasted at this point anyway.

Boy the models had some pretty feisty runs today for the later next weekend timeframe. This has been a period where models (specifically the GFS) has been trying to drive thru a sig cold shot that would probably deliver some of the first winter-like temps/weather of the season. Today's 12z Euro digs a very negatively tilted wave and curls the low up the Apps and thru western PA and so forth. It set a decent deform (likely snow) on Ohio. The new GFS actually has this same wave to a degree but also a clear tropical system coming up just off the east coast. These entities stayed separate until it was too late for the northeast but oh the possibilities if two features like that interacted at the right time. If we do have some kind of decent storm develop next weekend the cold air is going to be nearby.

confirmed F1 tornado in lancaster county friday night

Yea that was a pretty long track too (16 miles) and had 15 injuries associated with it. I would imagine it caught most folks off guard. One of the mets in the New England thread had a pretty decent 4-panel radar shot with reflectivity, velocity and two of the new dual pol products.

Post link

post-1507-0-37553800-1350827528_thumb.pn

The two bottom frames are the dual pol products. Bottom right is the correlation coefficient. Near 100% signifies a nearly uniform size on whatever the radar return is (like rain drops, snowflakes, etc). Anything that really gets around 85 percent or below can signify varying target sizes such as hail, a transition zone with mixed precip, or potentially in this case a tornado debris signature since it is colocated with the velocity couplet. Even though it wasn't a really strong tornado there have been examples of this product picking this up for weaker tornadoes.

Also, the morning 6z GFS has added yet another ambitious scenario to the the collection that is starting to build up..mainly from the Canadian. I guess my best description is that it kinda is similar to the Perfect Storm of Halloween '91 in that it hauls in a tropical system (probably Sandy) and makes a monster storm and backs the storm in early next week. It actually brings a 968 low WEST into southern New England and into New York State, and yes a good portion of PA would be snow when all was set and done. So I guess add that to last nights reincarnation of Hurricane Hazel courtesy of the Canadian. The overnight 0z run of the Euro at the edge of its range was trying to make a coastal low with cold air available in C-PA. The ingredients for something wild look to be available in this late weekend/early next week timeframe, so something to keep an eye on.

Archived