northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
The NEW summer 2012 BANTER thread.

Snowlover76

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That snow argument is just stupid, BUT in a conversation with my father, I finally began to realize why old people think like that. He told me that 50 years ago in Elizabeth, the side streets never got plowed. It could take a week before you could really get through. Now, although the street does get more narrow, they're plowing at least every hour, and in a day or two, the street is relatively passable. So it's not really the amount of snow, but perhaps, due to more money in snow removal budgets and better plowing/salting, a foot of snow is less impact than it was 50 years ago.

when I lived on 64ST in Brooklyn after the December 1960 storm my block was not plowed for more than two days after the storm...The February 1961 storm was plowed when the snow ended...The Dept of sanitation needed three plows for the February storm...The first one would ram the snow until it stopped...backed up and rammed it again...It took a while but they did plow the block...Since I moved to Staten Island I lived on a major street that was plowed fast...I just got a buyer for my house so I'll be moving soon...I'm still keeping an apartment on S.I. when I find one...I will buy a vacation house in Florida or some other place...

when I lived on 64ST in Brooklyn after the December 1960 storm my block was not plowed for more than two days after the storm...The February 1961 storm was plowed when the snow ended...The Dept of sanitation needed three plows for the February storm...The first one would ram the snow until it stopped...backed up and rammed it again...It took a while but they did plow the block...Since I moved to Staten Island I lived on a major street that was plowed fast...I just got a buyer for my house so I'll be moving soon...I'm still keeping an apartment on S.I. when I find one...I will buy a vacation house in Florida or some other place...

Keeping everyone in a state of suspense. :)

If people's predictions from 50 years ago came true, we'd most likely have the moon colonized and be driving around flying cars. Also Russia would have knocked down the World Trade Center and not Al Qaeda.

1975 : Newsweek Explained How Global Cooling Causes Extreme Droughts, Floods, Dry Spells And Heatwaves

TIME Magazine June 1974: Another Ice Age?

Neither of those links work.

And that was 40 years ago before the internet, cell phones, cds...

With the Paul Ryan pick, Obama will be pres until 2016, hopefully we can pass some sort of climate change bill and promote more green energy, invent more ways to scrub the atmosphere of CO2 and other greenhouse gases...i believe this is the best way to control agw.

on a side note, by looking at NWS forecast one would think that thur-sat would have been a complete washout, while in reality it was a slug of rain friday morning for most and then nothing else. Not criticizing, just saying.

Headed to montreal next weekend for my bachelor party, so im not happy to hear about the rain...less ladies scantily clad

With the Paul Ryan pick, Obama will be pres until 2016, hopefully we can pass some sort of climate change bill and promote more green energy, invent more ways to scrub the atmosphere of CO2 and other greenhouse gases...i believe this is the best way to control agw.

I can't wait for the Ryan Biden Debate! :whistle:

You mean Cap and Tax? What the overwhelming majority of the American people don't want? Since Jesus is not running on his record maybe he should run on this? LMAO

Increase taxes by $2.4 TRILLION over the next decade, virtually guaranteeing that not only does our economy get even worse, but that it NEVER recovers.

Drive already sky-high energy costs through the roof, costing hardworking families over $3,900 per year through rising prices (robbing them of what little money they have left in these tough economic times);

Result in as many as 2.5 million lost American jobs PER YEAR as energy-intensive industries are forced to close down or move operations overseas; Line the pockets of Big Government politicians who will pick and choose which politically-connected energy producers get rewarded with taxpayer subsidies and which ones are shut down... all based on campaign contributions, of course.

Obama:100% success rate bankrupting green energy companies using taxer payer money! :angry: Hope and Change baby!

Neither of those links work.

And that was 40 years ago before the internet, cell phones, cds...

on a side note, by looking at NWS forecast one would think that thur-sat would have been a complete washout, while in reality it was a slug of rain friday morning for most and then nothing else. Not criticizing, just saying.

Headed to montreal next weekend for my bachelor party, so im not happy to hear about the rain...less ladies scantily clad

you'll be in for a surprise come November

:weenie: The entire state doesn't have a storm yet, pretty much the only place that has gotten hit so far is LI. And it's only 2pm, stop whining.

I have a right to whine, I've missed out on almost every good storm for the past 2 months, the best thing was that shelf cloud with that weakening bow echo/line if you wanna call it that.

Can someone tell Vanessa Murdock that the dew point reading at Quogue of 70 degrees is not accurate.

I;m gunn go out on a limb and say when those false radar returns show up south of long island from time to time that she says that it's real also. Justa hunch, thats all.

Guest Pamela

i will gloat tirelessly if this is another warm/snowless winter

You live in S. Jersey...most winters are warm and snowless there...

Archived