Newest Member
    northernriwx
The NEW summer 2012 BANTER thread.

Snowlover76

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

It this summer going down as one of the most humid for the area?

I rather deal with 90's and dry then 80's with 70+ dewpoints.

Take a look at the number of sub-70 F minimums and you should have your answer...

It's hard to get enthusiastic about South Africa, a country in the southern hemisphere surrounded by water except to it's north, at a low latitude, most of which is below 33 deg. south and is mostly a substantially elevated plateau, i.e. Johannesburg, elev. 5714', parts of which did receive a light dusting. But I'll bet it never snowed at sea level spots such as Cape Town (on its west coast) or Durban (on its east coast). If you like bland, subtropical weather, Cape Town's your place.

Cape Town enjoys an ocean Mediterranean climate (Koppen Csa), with mild, moderately wet winters and dry, warm summers. Winter, which lasts from the beginning of June to the end of August, may see large cold fronts entering for limited periods from the Atlantic Ocean with significant precipitation and strong north-westerly winds. Winter months in the city average a maximum of 18.0 °C (64 °F)and minimum of 8.5 °C (47 °F) [13] Total annual rainfall in the city averages 515 millimetres (20.3 in). Summer, which lasts from early December to March, is warm and dry with an average maximum of 26.0 °C (79 °F) and minimum of 16.0 °C (61 °F). The region can get uncomfortably hot when the Berg Wind, meaning "mountain wind", blows from the Karoo interior for a couple of weeks in February or early March. Late spring and early summer may sometimes feature a strong wind from the south-east, known locally as the Cape Doctor, so called because it blows air pollution away. This wind is caused by a high-pressure system which sits in the South Atlantic to the west of Cape Town, known as the South-Atlantic High. Cape Town's average amount of sunshine per year (3,100 hours) compares favourably with that of Los Angeles (3,300 hours) [14] and exceeds that of Athens and Madrid (2,900 hours).[15]

Water temperatures range greatly, between 10 °C (50 °F) on the Atlantic Seaboard, to 22 °C (72 °F) in False Bay. Average annual Ocean temperatures are between 13 °C (55 °F) on the Atlantic Seaboard (similar to Californian waters, such as San Francisco or Big Sur), and 17 °C (63 °F) in False Bay (similar to Northern Mediterranean temperatures, such as Nice or Monte Carlo).

Take a look at the number of sub-70 F minimums and you should have your answer...

Not necessarily. I've had a lot of days with lows above 70, but highs between 95 and 105. That's not high humidity, but rather excessive heat. Take a look at days with diurnal ranges of less than 20, and you'll have a good answer.

Guest Pamela

Not necessarily. I've had a lot of days with lows above 70, but highs between 95 and 105. That's not high humidity, but rather excessive heat. Take a look at days with diurnal ranges of less than 20, and you'll have a good answer.

IDK....anytime the air temp reaches 95 F I don't think the humidity around here would be much over 45%...or over 30% with a temp of 105 F. Also those highs are just for a single moment during the day...once the sun goes down RH goes up pretty fast (at least away from the UHI). And despite the high number of days you have been between 95 and 105, those temperatures are still well above the climatological norm for the area. Failure to go below 70 F is, IMO, a good measure in this area of the humidity of the summer. Out in the desert, temps regularly crack 100 F but often drop into the 60's at night...evincing a dry climate.

Guest Pamela

this summer has not really been that humid until recently, the early heat in late June and mid July was more of a very hot but not all that humid.

people have short memories...there have been many worse humid summers than this one

Worst summer since I moved to L.I. for heat and humidity was 1988; you could say 2010 was the hottest though I lived in Plainview in '88 and Port Jeff in '10...with the former town beng a degree or two warmer on average than the latter, you could probably more or less call them even from my vantage points. Still remember dialing SportsPhone the morning of 8/2/1988 and hearing that Espo traded Poddubny...felt like I had been punched in the gut...

Worst summer since I moved to L.I. for heat and humidity was 1988; you could say 2010 was the hottest though I lived in Plainview in '88 and Port Jeff in '10...with the former town beng a degree or two warmer on average than the latter, you could probably more or less call them even from my vantage points. Still remember dialing SportsPhone the morning of 8/2/1988 and hearing that Espo traded Poddubny...felt like I had been punched in the gut...

Flee to the higher elevations when it gets hot out.

Guest Pamela

Flee to the higher elevations when it gets hot out.

You mean like West Hills County Park? (elevation 401 feet a.s.l. - the highest point on Long Island). That should knock a solid degree and a half off versus sea level locales...

Guest Pamela

No, flee to the mountains.

Unlike Cinderella, the clock striking midnight may actually be a good thing for him and others of his ilk...i.e. no mas de cinco...

NOAA just released data saying that July 2012 was the hottest month on record for the lower 48 states. Wonder how much this will fuel the global warming bandwagon people. :whistle:

No fueling needed. I trust the sound science and facts, I don't need sensational headlines to back them up.

Happy Birthday Sacrus!!!

Just want to add that I think you do a FANTASTIC job and put a great amount of effort with all your data and posts.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Thanks ag3. Appreciate the discussion and always look fwd to tracking interesting weather! My wife would joke i spend more time with you all, then with her....

Archived