amirah5
12/19-12/20 threat

CoastalWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GGEM...hit

UK..looks like Euro

Ok...I would just go with a compromise right now...light snow possible for eastern SNE by Sunday. Heaviest down by the Cape & Islands. I think the 4-6PM newscasts will go with the scraper scenario even if the 18z GFS is another blizzard. EURO is king. I don't think it's possible to have this miss by hundreds of miles to the SE like it shows though.

That could definitely be the culprit. I do like how the Euro looks with the PV/northern stream. So if it is screwing up the southern stream s/w then we're back in business.

It's our only hope and luckily..that's it's well known bias..and we've seen that happen this close to a big storm before on the Euro on several storms the last few years.

Let's get that data sampled properly tomorrow. Gibbs thinking maybe Euro sw hold energy back bias in play

I'm gonna go out on a limb and call for an abrupt reemergence of that SW tmw when that SW is properly assimilated by the models...not calling for a KU, but I think there will be a significant event for at least ENE.

Maybe .... But I can do that because I don't actually forecast for anyone. :) I can''t recall many instances though where we are at about 96 hours out and the US models are going for a storm and the Euro is the one that is way out to sea. It's a strange situation.

You're making the potentially incorrect assumption that the Euro is wrong here.

Maybe .... But I can do that because I don't actually forecast for anyone. :) I can''t recall many instances though where we are at about 96 hours out and the US models are going for a storm and the Euro is the one that is way out to sea. It's a strange situation.

I can...Feb 3-4, 2009.

It's our only hope and luckily..that's it's well known bias..and we've seen that happen this close to a big storm before on the Euro on several storms the last few years.

it happened last year

i recall the NAM 18z was suddenly amped up, the GFS was already sorta, and then euro followed bigtime the next day. im not sure which of the 3 big storms it was, im pretty sure it was the one that got up into new england.

i remember it like yesterday.

it happened last year

i recall the NAM 18z was suddenly amped up, the GFS was already sorta, and then euro followed bigtime. im not sure which of the 3 big storms it was, im pretty sure it was the one that got up into new england.

It did it on the 12/19 event. The Euro didn't come around until what would be the equivalent of tomorrow 12z. The NAM was amped up, the GFS was jumping back and forth, and the Euro had been OTS until the 12z run on the 16th or 17th I believe it was.

The Euro does have a bias of holding back SW energy... but in this case the Euro is showing no energy to hold back. Virtually no s/w at all lol

It has the shortwave over over the Pacific well west of S California at 0 hours, but it basically disintegrates into nothing by 36 hours as its supposed to be going through S CA and Arizona.

it happened last year

i recall the NAM 18z was suddenly amped up, the GFS was already sorta, and then euro followed bigtime the next day. im not sure which of the 3 big storms it was, im pretty sure it was the one that got up into new england.

Euro has def. blown some big ones in recent yrs this close

Even though the Euro has gone east... this makes 5 runs in a row that it has missed SNE.

has it at any point since this weekend - when it was day 7 or greater - actually shown a *meaningful* hit for SNE? not a "it's close" run...but an actual hit? i don't think it has...i think the best/worst case was when it had some 3-5" type snows in BOS?

Archived