joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some shots from the descent on Mansfield... some of the best lift-accessed backcountry/sidecountry/slackcountry in New England.

The venue... a 20 minute hike from the top of the Gondola to get the summit.

IMG_4018_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4056_edited-2.jpg

Approaching the throat, which is a ski-width-wide slot down the cliff.

IMG_4059_edited-2.jpg

Skiing out and onto the apron...

IMG_4062_edited-2.jpg

IMG_4066_edited-3.jpg

IMG_4067_edited-2.jpg

tonight is the last "true" night skiing at Wachusett. Starting Monday until the end of the season, they close at 8PM. I rarely stay after then anyway, so no big deal.

A couple of years ago, as my son and I were leaving, we overheard a teenage girl pitching a fit with her dad "The website said they were open until 10PM! We drove all this way!"

It was 8PM... oops!

Looking for some advice on where to go skiing 3/19-3/24, as I'm flying into NY next Saturday from Chicago. I'm an avid skier but unfortunately haven't been able to go since Vail in February 2011. My brother and I have settled on either northern Vermont or Sugarloaf as the drive to options because we're looking to go to the best possible mountains the east has to offer. I've skied Stowe, Jay and Smuggs but never been to Sugarloaf. I see that this thaw  could do some damage but a colder pattern will be setting in and lasting through at least part of the trip (with hopefully some storminess next weekend). What are thoughts on the upslope prospects in northern Vermont behind the front Tuesday night through Thursday? Because that could help our decision to go there since that could help refresh the surfaces after the thaw and rain. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Looking for some advice on where to go skiing 3/19-3/24, as I'm flying into NY next Saturday from Chicago. I'm an avid skier but unfortunately haven't been able to go since Vail in February 2011. My brother and I have settled on either northern Vermont or Sugarloaf as the drive to options because we're looking to go to the best possible mountains the east has to offer. I've skied Stowe, Jay and Smuggs but never been to Sugarloaf. I see that this thaw  could do some damage but a colder pattern will be setting in and lasting through at least part of the trip (with hopefully some storminess next weekend). What are thoughts on the upslope prospects in northern Vermont behind the front Tuesday night through Thursday? Because that could help our decision to go there since that could help refresh the surfaces after the thaw and rain. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I think either NVT or SL will be a great place to be. If you've never been to SL, it's worth checking out. The snowfields and Brackett offer some great terrain, but the conditions can change from day to day, and if it gets frozen, the ungroomed stuff may be best to avoid until it softens up in the afternoon (duh)

If you go there, check out The Bag (great burgers & soups), D'Ellie's (great sandwiches),  and Gepetto's for on mountain food. Tufulio's is a few miles down the road, but worth the trip.

I think either NVT or SL will be a great place to be. If you've never been to SL, it's worth checking out. The snowfields and Brackett offer some great terrain, but the conditions can change from day to day, and if it gets frozen, the ungroomed stuff may be best to avoid until it softens up in the afternoon (duh)

If you go there, check out The Bag (great burgers & soups), D'Ellie's (great sandwiches), and Gepetto's for on mountain food. Tufulio's is a few miles down the road, but worth the trip.

Thanks for all the tips. We're not expecting it being an issue where to stay so we'll be able to make a last minute decision about where the conditions look like they'll be setting up better. But it's a tough one because SL does sound like an awesome place. Just glad we're not having another Morch so we'll actually be able to go skiing.

Just got back from some fantastic days at Steamboat and Vail.  The last day at Vail was an epic powder day.  Spent just about the whole day in the trees in Blue Sky Basin, which might be just about my favorite place to ski anywhere.  Fresh tracks could easily be found all day, and even the areas that has seen skis were very gently used.  The tree spacing is ideal with no hidden obstacles.  Absolutely soundless skiing.

post-2015-0-73482900-1363036336_thumb.jp

At Steamboat, a view of North St. Pats (to the left of the cliff in the distance) from the run-out below:

post-2015-0-18171100-1363036821_thumb.jp

I love that Steamboat uses these signs at the base.  Get stranded here, and ski patrol will never find you:

post-2015-0-85498900-1363036988_thumb.jp

(The little animals are for the benefit of my kids.)

Is it time for soft spring bumps in VT yet?

Just got back from some fantastic days at Steamboat and Vail.  The last day at Vail was an epic powder day.  Spent just about the whole day in the trees in Blue Sky Basin, which might be just about my favorite place to ski anywhere.  Fresh tracks could easily be found all day, and even the areas that has seen skis were very gently used.  The tree spacing is ideal with no hidden obstacles.  Absolutely soundless skiing.

attachicon.gifblueskybasintrees.jpg

At Steamboat, a view of North St. Pats (to the left of the cliff in the distance) from the run-out below:

attachicon.gifnorthstpats.jpg

I love that Steamboat uses these signs at the base.  Get stranded here, and ski patrol will never find you:

attachicon.gifsboatboundary.jpg

(The little animals are for the benefit of my kids.)

Is it time for soft spring bumps in VT yet?

Sweet!  I've been to Steamboat and Vail several times over the years.  Blue Sky Basin is the best spot at Vail for an expert skier.  The place is huge with sweet little spots all over, but Blue Sky Basin's trees are where its at.  Last time I was there, it hadn't snowed in a week and we were finding untracked powder in those trees (like the one you posted).  We were a group of easterners staying with a local skier, and he said no one skis that stuff because its "too tight" in there.  But for an eastern skier, it looks like a freakin' meadow, lol. 

That's the one thing I love about going out west... the trees that are considered "tight" and unskiable or not worth it, happen to be perfectly spaced to me.  I found the same thing in Whistler... untracked "tight" evergreen forests turned out to be more wide open than anything we have in the east, lol.

And that Steamboat sign is funny outside the condos, haha...but working in the industry, there's always a reason for that stuff, so my guess is at some point people have gotten lost or hurt getting to their condo and there was some legal issues about it.

It's a ways out obviously but GFS and Euro both look favorable for orographic snows by the end of this weekend, especially on the west spine of the Greens.  The block should keep that flow in place for awhile.  Not like you need an excuse to be in N. VT for St. Paddy's. The Matterhorn is reason enough.  

West Trip, Feb.28th, Mar.1,2,3rd:

View at Purgatory/Durango

IMG_1790e-vi.jpg?1363092199

IMG_1870e-vi.jpg?1363092299

Deep in San Juan Range Co.

DSC04445e-vi.jpg?1363092390

Town of Durango with snowy San Juan's in the distance

DSC04626e-vi.jpg?1363093110

Heading up to Wolf Creek

DSC04591e-vi.jpg?1363092742

Wolf Creek Co.

IMG_1826e-vi.jpg?1363092552

IMG_1833e-vi.jpg?1363092593

IMG_1840e1-vi.jpg?1363092630

Santa Fe NM., Very dry season below snow line. Could be a bad fire season.

IMG_1925e-vi.jpg?1363092814

Had a great morning at SR.  Skied non-stop from 9 to noon.  Rain was light at the base and just mist and fog at the peaks.   40 and soft snow with no crowds is fine with me even if the weather is meh'. 

My last few runs were ridding the #9 up to Tempest with literally no one in front of or behind me on the trails or lifts. 

People are so funny about what conditions they'll ski in and will never know what they are missng.

Had a great morning at SR. Skied non-stop from 9 to noon. Rain was light at the base and just mist and fog at the peaks. 40 and soft snow with no crowds is fine with me even if the weather is meh'.

My last few runs were ridding the #9 up to Tempest with literally no one in front of or behind me on the trails or lifts.

People are so funny about what conditions they'll ski in and will never know what they are missng.

sweet, yeah some of the best days are those light rain days, soft and no one around. Can not wait to get there. Where are you staying.

Archived