joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 28-July 8th Severe Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything comes out of this, it would be quite a surprise. I was expecting everything to stay in Ohio.

mcd1410.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1410

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0458 PM CDT THU JUL 05 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL AND WRN OH...NRN AND ERN INDIANA...SRN LOWER

MI

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE

VALID 052158Z - 052330Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...60 PERCENT

SUMMARY...ONGOING STORMS OVER SERN MI INTO NWRN OH MAY CONTINUE TO

EVOLVE AND POSE A DAMAGING WIND THREAT TO NRN INDIANA INTO WRN/CNTRL

OH.

DISCUSSION...SURFACE ANALYSIS AND VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOW AN

OUTFLOW BOUNDARY MOVING SWWD FROM SRN MI SEWD ACROSS CNTRL OH. THE

AIR MASS NEAR THIS BOUNDARY REMAINS VERY UNSTABLE...WITH MID TO

UPPER 60S F DEWPOINTS. RADAR TRENDS INDICATE SOME CLUSTERING OF

STORMS NOW ENTERING NWRN OH OUT OF MI...AND THIS AREA MAY HAVE THE

BEST CHANCE OF GROWING UPSCALE AND BECOMING SEVERE. THE SRN EXTENT

OF THE SEVERE THREAT SHOULD STOP NEAR THE OH RIVER WHERE THE AIR

MASS WAS RECENTLY OVERTURNED...AND SWWD INTO CNTRL IND WHERE LOWER

PWAT EXISTS WITH DEWPOINTS INTO THE 59-61 F RANGE.

..JEWELL/CORFIDI.. 07/05/2012

Storm #1....July 4th around 745pm: 0.35", extremely gusty winds, brief near-whiteout

Storm #2....July 5th I guess 6amish: 0.23" rain, slept through it (though did toss and turn hearing thunder, didnt even notice the wind).

Storm #3/4..July 5th between 1pm-3pm: few seperate storms dropped 0.42".

So all in all, an inch of much needed rain imby the last 2 days, but we did not get any of the hail that seemed to hit many of the northern burbs.

Wednesday was the perfect summer day for me.

After plenty of sushine and temps getting into the low 100s, severe t'storms ended the day.

I had non-stop thunder from 6-9PM yesterday.

Saw hail and strong winds with two different cells.

Then of course the squall line came through early this morning, which I slept through.

Traffic lights were out all over and I saw a huge tree limbs blocking streets around town. Debris was everywhere.

The really interesting part about the late afternoon storms is it was still bright and sunny not even 10 minutes before they developed overhead.

Downed trees in Sylvania, just north of Toledo and significant power outages today. After work in Maumee I saw it rolling in over there and whoa you could obviously see it was a potent downdraft on eyesight alone. Thousands were without power and I guess even trees were uprooted. Shocked to see such an intense storm like that today

e6c780cd-618c-4c05-b47b-cee3c102b5c9.jpg

bab05728-e065-48fe-85a0-c9ae1bb26059.jpg

004ab01a-e745-4525-8167-43c1f4ccf195.jpg

from LOT

Storm Damage in Northwest Indiana

Intense dowmbursts from the storms caused extensive damage in Gary, Griffith and Merrillville, IN. A church at 4929 15th Avenue in Gary had a section of roofing peeled back, and trees were damaged in the area. Further south, the roof of an apartment was damaged at 57th Street and Broadway. A truck was overturned on I-65 near 61st Street. Trees, signs, and power lines were also blown down in the area. This damage is consistent with winds of 75 to 90 mph.

As a result of last week's derecho, there were still 3,200 customers without power in the Fort Wayne area.

The severe storm that hit the city last evening put out winds estimated at 50 to 60 MPH, knocking down more trees and power lines. As of this morning, the number of customers without power is back up to 14,000. Imagine going a week without power, especially in this heat wave, thinking the juice is going to get turned on soon, or has just been turned on, and WHAM! out it goes again. Talk about a swift kick where it counts.

As brutal as it is outside, I'm thankful to have AC.

Best chance for storms appears to be overnight central WI southeast into MI. For Chicago to get hit, would require the tail-end of rotating MCS to come in on lake breeze front around 09z perhaps. This may factor into temperature forecast for tomorrow, possibly debris from this event might hold maxes down in the Lake Michigan region.

As a result of last week's derecho, there were still 3,200 customers without power in the Fort Wayne area.

The severe storm that hit the city last evening put out winds estimated at 50 to 60 MPH, knocking down more trees and power lines. As of this morning, the number of customers without power is back up to 14,000. Imagine going a week without power, especially in this heat wave, thinking the juice is going to get turned on soon, or has just been turned on, and WHAM! out it goes again. Talk about a swift kick where it counts.

As brutal as it is outside, I'm thankful to have AC.

I was surprised to hear that last weeks derecho created more destruction for Ohio than the hurricane Ike windstorm.

Looks like significant convection is finally starting to fire along the cold front up by the Twin Cities. Come on cold front and get rid of this heat!

Good news. After tomorrow we should also get rid of the heat. I hope we get some rainfall first though.

Chased a popup cell near Huntington this afternoon. IWX severe warned it. It did have some pea to dime sized hail. I also got hit by a wet microburst. Had a 50 MPH gust which knocked over a couple of trees and laid some corn down. Here is a pic I took before it intensified.

post-830-0-02243700-1341619806_thumb.jpg

It actually did do some damage:

post-830-0-57378200-1341619948_thumb.jpg

Chased a popup cell near Huntington this afternoon. IWX severe warned it. It did have some pea to dime sized hail. I also got hit by a wet microburst. Had a 50 MPH gust which knocked over a couple of trees and laid some corn down. Here is a pic I took before it intensified.

post-830-0-02243700-1341619806_thumb.jpg

It actually did so some damage:

post-830-0-57378200-1341619948_thumb.jpg

Ouch. That's a pretty good size tree there on that house.

Where are these northern IL storms going? All of a sudden I noticed cumulonimbus going up to the SW of here.

They're basically stationary. Outflow is undercutting many of them. Colliding outflow boundaries south of the main line may fire some new cells from time to time. So the effective movement of the line is southward.

They're basically stationary. Outflow is undercutting many of them. Colliding outflow boundaries south of the main line may fire some new cells from time to time. So the effective movement of the line is southward.

Doh! Given that I wish the frontal boundary would have been slower this morning - maybe they would have fired over the border area and given my yard some rain!

Archived