joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 28-July 8th Severe Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty solid storm on the East side, I'd say we gusted to about 50. Saw some transformer flashes off in the distance to my Northeast too. Going to be a tough day to go without power.

Near surface stable layer is doing just enough to limit more widespread damage I think. You can see the more patchy wind signatures showing up prior to about the 0857z volume scan. Then afterwards there is a huge area of significant velocities outbound above 800 ft. 75 knots at 2000 ft is translating to "only" 40-45 mph at the surface.

Pretty solid storm on the East side, I'd say we gusted to about 50. Saw some transformer flashes off in the distance to my Northeast too. Going to be a tough day to go without power.

Reported E65 MPH here in Taylor, waiting for the rain to clear to go seek out damage. Thankfully I didn't lose power, but I guarantee there's damage out there.

Near surface stable layer is doing just enough to limit more widespread damage I think. You can see the more patchy wind signatures showing up prior to about the 0857z volume scan. Then afterwards there is a huge area of significant velocities outbound above 800 ft. 75 knots at 2000 ft is translating to "only" 40-45 mph at the surface.

Yeah I would have to agree. If this had came through about 8 hours ago we would be talking a different story for sure. That's okay though I like having AC for 100 degrees later today, and on that note it is time for bed.

Yeah I would have to agree. If this had came through about 8 hours ago we would be talking a different story for sure. That's okay though I like having AC for 100 degrees later today, and on that note it is time for bed.

I like having my AC for the 80 degrees we're expecting up here later today. The closer to a cave I get it after a midnight shift, the better.

DTE is showing a pretty large number of power outages on their web site, actually especially across parts of Oakland County. I'm glad not to be included in that. If this MCS had been in place earlier this evening, it would not have been pretty.

I slept through it. Oh well. I did expect this one to come through here, but not this late.

I had my fix for the season yesterday evening.

Time for the convective debris to GTFO.

20120705_0931_DTW_irbw.jpg

Jesus christ dude it's 630 in the morning and you're worried about convective debris on a day we're supposed to hit 100. Lol.

Very nice cell just went through south Ann Arbor/KARB. Several CtG lightning strikes and very heavy rain, plus cold 40ish+ MPH gusts. Strong enough to send off its own outflow visible on radar.

ETA: Last night's MCS is still going strong now over WV. Is this thing going to make a complete loop of the ridge?

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

420 PM CDT THU JUL 5 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

LAKE COUNTY IN NORTHWEST INDIANA...

SOUTHERN PORTER COUNTY IN NORTHWEST INDIANA...

* UNTIL 515 PM CDT

* AT 417 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR MERRILLVILLE...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

Archived