joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Heat Wave - June 20-23

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night's euro pushes 100F in the SNE warm spots next Thu-Fri and Wed is hot too. EC ens are warmest Wed-Thu. Then we cool it down after that.

Yeah I mean there is always the chance something goes wrong, but looks like it happens for at least 2 days anyways.

We are talking about a heat wave that is a week away again? Where have I heard this before?

I don't know if all of SNE qualifies as a heatwave, but I think a couple of very warm to hot days are in the cards at least. The same trough that helps rip a piece of the heat into SNE, will also cool it down during the weekend.

Torch is on it appears late next week. Mid to upper 90s would be realized IF models are correct. Much cooler afterwards.

Didn't expect this, this morning... this whack in the face BD. The NAM grids had some feeble onshore components, but not 30kt gusts whipping tree limbs around and extending flags. Looking around at area obs, and satellite, it's pretty clear that a 2ndary push of northeasterly winds puffed into the coastal plain around 12z and continues to press SW across the area. They sky is gray and billowed; then I took a quick glance at visible imagery and it very very local to eastern Massachusetts, and appears to be rolling SW toward RI/CT.

I tell you, there is some kind of odd "micro-teleconnector" that connects the NAO domain to specifically the 10,000 sq mile region of SNE. There are certain NAO scenarios that bend this specific area over the proverbial weather barrel. It seems to be -NAOs that are in fading regions of the curve. I think what it really boils down to is lag correlations. The NAO does not immediately get us chilled when it starts falling; likewise, when it is rising from a strong nadir, the cool conveyor seems to persist seemingly after it should. Interesting. Eh, at least it will clear from the NE shortly.

Re, next week - yeah, I see that... I actually have less problem with that, because the last 3 weeks have demonstrated that for whatever reason, the NAO is the current primary effective influence on modulating our weather - it may simply be a matter of the PNA seasonally gone to bed... but anyway. Seeing as that is the case, the index is fairly well clustered around a continued recovery out of nadir toward some as yet unknown local maximum. The idea of at last lifting heights and ridding the 65W/40N of that -NAO attribute REX block has even more merit this morning, as the new values now are actually positive, not just neutral.

It could get really hot if the GLAAM would rise positive, because the main mass of the AO domain vortex has shifted to far side of the arctic ocean, such that a uber deep subtropical ridge event on this side of the hemisphere would result.

Didn't expect this, this morning... this whack in the face BD. The NAM grids had some feeble onshore components, but not 30kt gusts whipping tree limbs around and extending flags. Looking around at area obs, and satellite, it's pretty clear that a 2ndary push of northeasterly winds puffed into the coastal plain around 12z and continues to press SW across the area. They sky is gray and billowed; then I took a quick glance at visible imagery and it very very local to eastern Massachusetts, and appears to be rolling SW toward RI/CT.

I tell you, there is some kind of odd "micro-teleconnector" that connects the NAO domain to specifically the 10,000 sq mile region of SNE. There are certain NAO scenarios that bend this specific area over the proverbial weather barrel. It seems to be -NAOs that are in fading regions of the curve. I think what it really boils down to is lag correlations. The NAO does not immediately get us chilled when it starts falling; likewise, when it is rising from a strong nadir, the cool conveyor seems to persist seemingly after it should. Interesting. Eh, at least it will clear from the NE shortly.

Re, next week - yeah, I see that... I actually have less problem with that, because the last 3 weeks have demonstrated that for whatever reason, the NAO is the current primary effective influence on modulating our weather - it may simply be a matter of the PNA seasonally gone to bed... but anyway. Seeing as that is the case, the index is fairly well clustered around a continued recovery out of nadir toward some as yet unknown local maximum. The idea of at last lifting heights and ridding the 65W/40N of that -NAO attribute REX block has even more merit this morning, as the new values now are actually positive, not just neutral.

It could get really hot if the GLAAM would rise positive, because the main mass of the AO domain vortex has shifted to far side of the arctic ocean, such that a uber deep subtropical ridge event on this side of the hemisphere would result.

Regarding today: I did notice the NAM has a surge of NE winds on the models yesterday...but dam BOS is gusting to 25kts. Didn't have winds like that in my TAF. However I think drier air works in and the CU goes poof later on. Dews will drop into the 40s overnight...probably one of those deals where the next few nights are in the low to mid 40s in places like OWD.

As far as next week goes..I do have to watch to see if any fronts to the north try to cut this short. Seeing fronts in srn Canada this far out always seems to raise eyebrows. But for now, I think at least 2 days should be warm to hot.

My interpretation of the 00z, D7 Euro, it suggests record heat is plausible for a lot of people. At least aloft. What does the raw output have for the 2-meter T? My guess is LESS than what this synopsis below supports - that would be typical; anytime you have a burgeoning ridge that exceeds 594dm, with +20 to +22C, 850mb air mass coming in on a westerly deep layer flow that is blowing out of said ridge node… yeah, you’re going to cook! Severely. It's possible the Euro is too extreme, duh ...

f168.gif

transient warmth

i think this is the exact reason why this heat "wave" will make it into southern new england this time...It is actually being forced there with a progressive trough swinging southeast..the other events had ridge axis way far west, troughs further west sending the storm systems way far northwest into canada...opening doors for the weakness on the east coast with onshore winds

i think this is the exact reason why this heat "wave" will make it into southern new england this time...It is actually being forced there with a progressive trough swinging southeast..the other events had ridge axis way far west, troughs further west sending the storm systems way far northwest into canada...opening doors for the weakness on the east coast with onshore winds

Yeah it's a text book way of getting heat here, even if it doesn't last long.

2 days, does not a heat wave require 3 90 plus?

Archived