12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May observations and discussions...

ag3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The storm came through here about half an hour ago and gave a brief torrential downpour and some thunder and lightning. Total rain so far is 0.21''.

Can't wait to leave to go storm chasing tomorrow and hopefully see some real severe wx! :thumbsup:

Where are ya chasing tomorrow?

The storm came through here about half an hour ago and gave a brief torrential downpour and some thunder and lightning. Total rain so far is 0.22''.

Can't wait to leave to go storm chasing tomorrow and hopefully see some real severe wx! :thumbsup:

Have fun! I'll be watching for updates from you all....

Where are ya chasing tomorrow?

I'm leaving with a group of 16 Rutgers meteorology students early tomorrow morning and we'll be chasing for two weeks. We're not chasing anything tomorrow (though if we had left a day earlier we would've definitely wanted to get to Oklahoma tomorrow, but alas we can't). But we're planning on chasing that event on Thursday which is supposed to take place in the Tennessee Valley and southeast, likely either in eastern Arkansas/western Tennessee or in central Illinois (because those are the only non-forested areas around).

It's still too early for any potential good severe weather events as the marine layer still knocks down potent storms as they come east. If we had a similar airmass in July, that line probably would have made it all the way to the coast without breaking up as water temps are in the 70s by then.

Monthly departures thru the 29th

NYC: +2.6

EWR: +3.6

LGA: +3.1

JFKA: +3.0

TTN: +5.8

Wow, some more very high above normal departures for more. Tomorrow may be the last above normal day with temps in the mid 80s so we'll add to the positives a bit more before closing out the month. Probably very close to +3 for NYC.

wow. long island is really getting screwed on this one.

No we did not, it went just the way that the models were forecasting it to be. I am suprised thaat we even had a chance at having some severe weather today. I was only expecting a few showers and maybe a rumble of thunder if we were lucky.

No we did not, it went just the way that the models were forecasting it to be. I am suprised thaat we even had a chance at having some severe weather today. I was only expecting a few showers and maybe a rumble of thunder if we were lucky.

to be fair, i did see a **** ton of lightning from those storms that scraped the north shore, so that was wild...

At least the heat and humidity is over for now... with that strong block developing over Greenland and Canada and a somewhat more sustained trough pattern it shouldn't get this hot again anytime soon. I don't even remember the last time Greenland blocking lasted for this long, might have been since the winter of 10-11.

test8.gif

storms fizzled out as they neared the area....it got windy for a bit but no thunder or lightning, minimal rain drops. I dont like sever storms but I thought moving up here from C-NJ would get rid of that famous fizzling line of storms pushing SE from the mtns that seem to affect C-NJ and LI quite often.

thur and fri though will be a welcome relief. 70s and NW flow oh yea! periods of rain sat but sun and mon back to 70s and low humidity. golfing weather just doesnt get any better.

storms fizzled out as they neared the area....it got windy for a bit but no thunder or lightning, minimal rain drops. I dont like sever storms but I thought moving up here from C-NJ would get rid of that famous fizzling line of storms pushing SE from the mtns that seem to affect C-NJ and LI quite often.

thur and fri though will be a welcome relief. 70s and NW flow oh yea! periods of rain sat but sun and mon back to 70s and low humidity. golfing weather just doesnt get any better.

I should really save radar loops of storms approaching the area here. I am in western NJ (Hunterdon county) and cant tell you how seemingly everytime a line of storms is coming this way it always A) Breaks apart with a piece headed north and a piece headed south (ala last night) or completely fizzles apart (ala 99% of the rest of the time). Probably has to do with downsloping coming from EPA or NEPA? Also seems when it hits the Delaware River valley it loses a good amount of strength, any reason as to why a river would affect storm lines as much as it seems to do here?

Yeah the models didn't do so well with the widespread half inch+ amounts. Only a few locations that got the downpours saw that much but by and large it was .25 or less. EWR saw only .05 and much of the shore escaped with barely a sprinkle.

I wasn't expecting anything severe but figured the line would hold together enough to give us some heavy rain

Not a single drop of rain last night in Monmouth. Hoping for a shower today to at least clean the pollen off my car

Archived