• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May observations and discussions...

ag3

May starts off with a rainy day. Parts of the area received close to 1" of rain this morning.

Here are the updated rain totals as of 9:00am:

LGA: .73"

NYC: .61"

JFK: .94"

EWR: .40"

Looks like several shots of storms and rain over the next few days. Euro ensembles and GFS ensembles both have a healthy -NAO block over the next 10-14 days; We'll see what impact that has going forward.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The -NAO block may not have a great impact on temperatures, things still look above normal for the next 10 days, Friday and Saturday should be much above normal sending those + departures soaring. After that it looks seasonable at best, nothing below. Torch begets torch I guess.

The -NAO block may not have a great impact on temperatures, things still look above normal for the next 10 days, Friday and Saturday should be much above normal sending those + departures soaring. After that it looks seasonable at best, nothing below. Torch begets torch I guess.

There won't be much negative departures over the next 10 days (tomorrow could be a bit below average possibly), although other than Friday and Saturday this pattern doesn't resemble a torch to me. The blocking isn't sending cold down this way as it would have in the winter, but at the same time the bigger warm spells are staying to our west and south, with occasional surges of warmth getting here but nothing impressive in terms of duration. I'd think temperatures probably end up moderately warmer than average (+2 to +4 degrees), as there's still likely going to be the occasional brief heat surges although otherwise, temperatures would probably end up closer to average than well above average.

Doesn't look like anyone in the NYC region will reach 90 the first half of May although some areas could reach well into the 80's briefly at some point before the weekend is over. Second half chances of reaching 90 will depend on whether the Neg Nao relaxes and more ridging develops in the East.........

Looks like a small area of rain trying to move east into the region. Looks like a dreary day ahead

R

Rain looks to move out by noon for most. Perhaps some late clearing again as some more breaks pushing ESE into C-PA

Looks like a small area of rain trying to move east into the region. Looks like a dreary day ahead

The next few days look dreary. Friday has a chance at some warmth but even Friday needs to be watched for bdcf type of setup as the 6z NAM hinted for the shore and into NYC.

Your area doesn't get out of the 60's now for Friday on the 6z NAM.

12z NAM continues to back off the 80's for Friday.

It now has a high of 67-70 for NYC. Even lower for LI and most of CT. The 80's are west of Newark.

It also keeps the entire day cloudy and drizzly.

It now has a high of 67-70 for NYC. Even lower for LI and most of CT. The 80's are west of Newark.

I'm concerned the big heat won't make it to NYC. But the NAM also backed off the warmth for Tuesday, before going warmer again, the day before. So we'll see, if that happens again or not. There would also be potential for a few strong to severe t-storms, if the warm front would get hung up close to us, Friday afternoon

Backdoor city until the weekend I think. The marine layer regime is notoriously tough to root out in marginal situations on the coast. Hopefully the weekend can clear out.

One of the biggest busts I've seen in a while around here. Forecasts were for mid 60s, lowered to 60 this morning and right now we're sitting at 52, our current low for the day. Temps could still rebound later this afternoon but this is pretty far off from Mostly cloudy, 60s and 30% chance of showers

Yeah once these airmasses set in, 90% of the time..models are too bullish to retreat it. Clouds on top aren't helping either.

One of the biggest busts I've seen in a while around here. Forecasts were for mid 60s, lowered to 60 this morning and right now we're sitting at 52, our current low for the day. Temps could still rebound later this afternoon but this is pretty far off from Mostly cloudy, 60s and 30% chance of showers

The NAM had it right yesterday.

the nam can sometimes develop phantom convection that messes with frontal placement

But even if the GFS is correct with the warm front, it still has measurable precip the entire day. Best case is drizzly, rainy, cloudy and temps into the upper 70's, as the GFS suggests.

Worst case is the NAM, which is upper 60's and drizzly/cloudy.

But even if the GFS is correct with the warm front, it still has measurable precip the entire day. Best case is drizzly, rainy, cloudy and temps into the upper 70's, as the GFS suggests.

hard to imagine upper 70's and drizzle this time of year-that sounds like a July tropical day....

hard to imagine upper 70's and drizzle this time of year-that sounds like a July tropical day....

If the warm front blasts through SNE, like the GFS has, its not hard to imagine at all. But like I said, the GFS still has a pretty ****ty day. Just a warmer one.

Only 50F right now, very raw, showery, cloudy day for early May. High was 57 just after midnight I believe and it's been downhill since then. It'll be interesting to see what kind of pattern we ultimately end up in since there will be a lot of blocking around, -NAO/AO and rising PNA will probably mean we won't see a 90F reading anytime soon, which I don't mind at all.

it's convection

Archived