• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Early May (1st-7th) Severe Chances

Stebo

I've been thinking about this MCS since I woke up this morning, classic early morning rumbler. Squall line looking healthy and about halfway across southern Minnesota, already moving into Wisconsin at the latitude of Minneapolis. Some 60-70 mph wind gusts being reported in northern IA with the line.

LOT was saying this would weaken as it comes into the region. I know these nocturnal complexes usually weaken shortly after sunrise. NAM is showing a decent amount of convection over S WI tomorrow, but it's not even picking up on the MCS that's going on right now! lol

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little more info on the tornadoes near Champaign earlier

0415 PM TORNADO 4 SW SAVOY 40.02N 88.31W

05/01/2012 CHAMPAIGN IL FIRE DEPT/RESCUE

WINDOWS SHATTERED ON SOUTH SIDE OF HOUSE. SHINGLES REMOVED AND SMALL AMOUNT OF ROOF REMOVED.

EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE...ONE 8 INCH DIAMETER TREE UPROOTED AND THROWN 50 YARDS. FROM SEYMOUR FD.

0518 PM TORNADO TILTON 40.09N 87.64W

05/01/2012 VERMILION IL EMERGENCY MNGR

METAL GARAGE PORT THROWN ABOUT 70 YARDS

Storms starting to fire in NE Iowa. One cell just south of Dubuque heading for the river.

There's rows of convective cells all across NE IA developing on convergence lines in the MCS inflow. I imagine these cells will rob the main squall of moisture, and lay down outflow boundaries, so some complex things are about to happen.

The vortices forming at each end of the bow are also becoming more noticable. It's always fun to watch and see how much an MCV can ramp up.

Storms starting to fire in NE Iowa. One cell just south of Dubuque heading for the river.

Right on the nose of the 850 mb moisture transport gradient, as seen on the SPC objective analysis. Big time LLJ punching in. Those storms will probably continue to fire there, might be setting up for a really heavy rain threat in eastern IA/NW IL before the MCS arrives given slow storm motions, based on only 15-20 knot upwind propagation vectors.

Huge bow echo in Iowa and Minnesota, don't see what's going to stop this beast.... LLJ firing up and so is convection.

MUCAPE is really ramping out ahead of it due to the stout LLJ. Up to 500-1000 J/kg in NW IL according to the 05z mesoanalysis.

It would be quite disappointing if nothing comes out of this around here, considering we're in the Slight Risk area for 3 days.

That said, Thursday's looking nice.

Even tomorrow doesn't look too bad depending on how far north the warm front gets.

I find it interesting that the Day One discussion doesn't even mention Lower MI/Northern IN even though the area is under a slight risk. Our subforum members in Eastern Iowa, Northern Illinois, and Southern/Central Wisconsin are obviously under the gun today, along with those from Ohio on east.

Moisture/instability shouldn't be a problem, but shear/capping may hurt MBY. My gut says that the IN/MI border may be the hotspot for any storms today for these 2 states. We'll see.

RAP is pretty good eye candy for severe weather prospects this afternoon.

It weakens that initial line of t'storms and develops a new one which moves through around 20z-21z. That line then settles into Northern IN/OH and trains through those areas before weakening.

Also, it develops 3000 J/KG assuming a roughly 80*F/70*F parcel.

The EHI values near Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie are pretty impressive too.

I doubt any of the above happens though, especially as the RAP shows.

I'm not getting my hopes up for this one in my neck of the woods. The timing of the best LLJ is at the diurnal minimum again tomorrow. I have a feeling this one's just going to skip my area completely. A dying MCS coming out of northern IL tomorrow morning just enough to push the afternoon threat southeast.

The RAP model is showing storms blowing up in central Iowa by mid afternoon and reaching my area by evening and southern Wisconsin by late evening. It then shows storms backbuilding across Iowa past midnight. It hardly has anything from southern Iowa to Chicago.

It's breaking out storms E-W across IA-northern IL later this afternoon after we destabilize.

Talking about the possible reduction in on-site surveys, it sounds like this is one of them.

Central Indiana - At least one tornado has been confirmed as part of the severe weather that produced flooding rains, hail to golf ball size and areas of wind damage Tuesday afternoon and evening. The tornado touched down southeast of Crawfordsville near New Ross along County Road 500S between CR625E and CR700E. From eyewitness Skywarn storm spotters' reports, pictures and videos of the tornado and damage, and from Indianapolis TV stations' damage pictures, the tornado is being rated preliminarily as an EF1 with winds estimated between 100 mph and 110 mph. The tornado began at approximately 736 pm, was on the ground for about a half mile, and lifted around 737 pm. The damage rating was based on a destroyed barn, and damaged nearby homes, trees and power poles.

Other reports of brief tornadoes near Yeddo south of Veedersburg, near Cory southeast of Terre Haute, and near Columbus are still being investigated by county emergency management. As new details become available, they will be updated in this news story.

30 percent wind risk in semi now too.

Decent speed shear in SE Michigan (according to SPC Mesoanalysis), and it appears that partial clearing is taking place there now, which should allow for sufficient destabilization to get a pretty good squall line to get going in a few hours. The HRRR and RAP have consistently shown a squall line affecting portions of SE Michigan between 19-23z today.

Archived