CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Early May (1st-7th) Severe Chances

Stebo

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is some development now just W of the Quad Cities. Also an E-W oriented boundary pushing north across southern WI looks to be the northern edge of the nocturnal LLJ in progress. Looks like stuff may fire north of that line first, then the squall line pushes east across all of southern WI and northern IL if it consolidates. Probably not going to reach Lake Michigan until around midnight though, unless more cells can develop ahead.

I don't think they'll reach LM until 1am or so. I don't expect these storms to be that strong as they come towards the lake. SE winds are predicted to start developing. Heavy rain being the main threat for MI and this area.

---

Are those storms firing near DeKalb or is that ground clutter?

I don't think they'll reach LM until 1am or so. I don't expect these storms to be that strong as they come towards the lake. SE winds are predicted to start developing. Heavy rain being the main threat for MI and this area.

---

Are those storms firing near DeKalb or is that ground clutter?

I'm not counting on anything severe tonight.

Looks like ground clutter on the Chicago radar.

Update on cell NW of La Crosse.

...THE TORNADO WARNING FOR CENTRAL BUFFALO COUNTY WILL EXPIRE AT 1000

PM CDT...

THE TORNADO THREAT HAS DIMINISHED...THEREFORE THE TORNADO WARNING HAS

EXPIRED. HOWEVER...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT

FOR THE AREA.

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 100 AM CDT

THURSDAY MORNING FOR SOUTHEAST MINNESOTA AND SOUTHWESTERN WISCONSIN.

Looks like quite the hail core with that cell pushing into Wisconsin just SW of Eau Claire, and indeed the warning is for golf ball size hail and damaging winds.

When it was going earlier it was one of the more interesting of this evening so far when it was in Sw Minnesota. 4 inch Hail and a few Tornado warnings were issued along the way. It seems it just ended up creating some flooding in a few towns and some power lines down.

EDIT: Not sure, maybe someone can check if there is some rotation going on near Arcadia WI. I don't think there is a tornado warning there. Somewhere south of Eau Claire...

EDIT #2 It looked like a tornado vortex to me somewhere near Arcadia, Wi... Also a town of Blair is somewhere near this location as well.

The southern part of the cell still looks to be producing some intense hail by the intense DBZ returns.

Wabasha, MN got hard hit.

0953 PM FLASH FLOOD 2 SE LAKE CITY 44.43N 92.25W

05/02/2012 WABASHA MN LAW ENFORCEMENT

MUDSLIDES REPORTED ON HWY 61

0953 PM FLASH FLOOD 3 SW LAKE CITY 44.42N 92.32W

05/02/2012 WABASHA MN LAW ENFORCEMENT

WATER OVER COUNTY RD 15 AT HWY 63

0929 PM TSTM WND GST KELLOGG 44.31N 92.00W

05/02/2012 M64 MPH WABASHA MN DEPT OF HIGHWAYS

MNDOT SITE MN069 IN KELLOGG ON US HWY 61

0915 PM HAIL WABASHA 44.37N 92.05W

05/02/2012 M1.75 INCH WABASHA MN LAW ENFORCEMENT

CTY RD 10 JUST OUTSIDE OF WABASHA. 50 MPH WINDS ESTIMATED

AS WELL.

We'll have to see what it looks like in the morning but tomorrow looks good for a high end slight in my opinion. Main threats should be hail/wind but low level shear not negligible so may have at least a brief window of isolated tor potential.

Looks like the overnight isn't going to bring us much. Most of the area was capped pretty solidly today. The activity in Nebraska, if it gets here, wont be here until around 12z, or about 0700 tomorrow. LOT is figuring if anything does happen, it will be up near the IL/WI line.

Cyclone-\|

What kind of camera are you using? My wife just got a 5D Mark II ...she thinks she's a pro now.

It's a Canon A620 P/S that's already going on 6 years old. It takes pretty good daytime shots, but it's somewhat limited for nighttime exposure shots like tonight. It does okay though. I was going to buy a new DSLR this spring, but bought a new HD vid camera instead. Ended up getting the Sony HDR-XR160 after seeing T-snow's vids last winter. Does a nice job. Once I get a new DSLR my nighttime exposure shots will be a considerable improvement to what I have now.

Here's the result of my 6 mile chase a little while ago. Watched the distant cells pass by in the western sky as they headed north on the other side of the Mississippi. Nothing spectacular, but was nice to get out and do something weather related again.

The picture of the moon mixed in with the storms is very cool.

When it was going earlier it was one of the more interesting of this evening so far when it was in Sw Minnesota. 4 inch Hail and a few Tornado warnings were issued along the way. It seems it just ended up creating some flooding in a few towns and some power lines down.

EDIT: Not sure, maybe someone can check if there is some rotation going on near Arcadia WI. I don't think there is a tornado warning there. Somewhere south of Eau Claire...

EDIT #2 It looked like a tornado vortex to me somewhere near Arcadia, Wi... Also a town of Blair is somewhere near this location as well.

http://www.spc.noaa....y_prt_rpts.html

Wind Reports:

0303 UNK ARCADIA TREMPEALEAU WI 4425 9149 MOBILE HOME BLOWN OFF ITS FOUNDATION IN THE ARCADIA TRAILOR PARK. RELAYED VIA WEAU. (ARX)

0325 UNK WHITEHALL TREMPEALEAU WI 4437 9131 TREES AND POWER LINES DOWN IN WHITEHALL AND BLAIR ... REPORT RELAYED BY WKBT. TIME ESTIMATED BY RADAR. (ARX)

0326 UNK BLAIR TREMPEALEAU WI 4430 9123 VIEWER REPORT OF HOUSES WITH SIDING AND ROOF DAMAGE VIA WKBT (ARX)

0328 UNK BLAIR TREMPEALEAU WI 4430 9123 ROOF AND SIDING PULLED OFF. LARGE TREES UPROOTED (ARX)

Archived