• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Early May (1st-7th) Severe Chances

Stebo

Gonna head down towards Burlington/Galesburg and see how things shake out. Just got off so haven't had time to look at anything. Looks like that east/west outflow boundary is sort of parked in that area.

Was just getting around to posting that I really liked the Highway 34 corridor of Illinois.

This is the same boundary that started percolating earlier in southeast Iowa, as low level theta-e advection got going. The succinct MCD is because this air mass is rapidly recovering in the wake of the MCS.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now it appears the biggest question mark is deep layer shear (effective values just below 35 kt). But subtle upper support will be arriving from Iowa in the next couple of hours that may be just enough to keep storms organized.

That being said, MLCAPE in excess of 3000 J/kg, with large amounts located between 0 and 3 km, plus vorticity along a low level boundary means even a strong updraft could potentially stretch this into the vertical, landspout style. Low level (0-1 km) shear along the boundary is actually pretty impressive, so by no means an EF0 write off kind of event.

Right now it appears the biggest question mark is deep layer shear (effective values just below 35 kt). But subtle upper support will be arriving from Iowa in the next couple of hours that may be just enough to keep storms organized.

That being said, MLCAPE in excess of 3000 J/kg, with large amounts located between 0 and 3 km, plus vorticity along a low level boundary means even a strong updraft could potentially stretch this into the vertical, landspout style. Low level (0-1 km) shear along the boundary is actually pretty impressive, so by no means an EF0 write off kind of event.

Weak updraft?

Weak updraft?

I guess I shouldn't have thrown that "even" in there. I mean strong updraft, as a weaker one will probably struggle to stretch the vorticity into something of note. Considering the instability in place though, these updrafts should be on the strong side and going up quickly.

I guess I shouldn't have thrown that "even" in there. I mean strong updraft, as a weaker one will probably struggle to stretch the vorticity into something of note. Considering the instability in place though, these updrafts should be on the strong side and going up quickly.

Ok, yeah I was a little confused there...cells beginning to fire around Peoria. Cap is essentially gone at this point.

3cvr.gif?1336084846618

0-3 km CAPE and surface vorticity are maximized where that cell went up in Putnam County.

Just in the backyard here in Kenosha enjoying the heat/humidity--and then the NE winds kicked and we had instant AC. It has dropped about ten degrees here 27 blocks off the lakefront....amazing how that happened.

Nice! Are you on the southside of northside 27 blocks in? I hope the cooler air gets here.

For anyone watching... a cell just popped over Chicago!

Nice boundary noted on the radar in Muscatine and Cedar County working NNE wonder if we see something fire on that in the next hour or so.... Very muggy out there and Summery today. Hopefully the darn cap can go and we can get some organized convection here this evening and tonight.

A watch has been issued for the Detroit area, but no status messages on web site.

WOUS64 KWNS 032252

WOU1

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 231

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

652 PM EDT THU MAY 03 2012

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 231 REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 900 PM EDT

FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

MIC005-015-021-025-027-037-045-049-057-065-067-075-077-081-087-

093-099-117-121-125-139-145-147-151-155-157-159-161-163-

040100-

/O.CON.KWNS.SV.A.0231.000000T0000Z-120504T0100Z/

MI

. MICHIGAN COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ALLEGAN BARRY BERRIEN

CALHOUN CASS CLINTON

EATON GENESEE GRATIOT

INGHAM IONIA JACKSON

KALAMAZOO KENT LAPEER

LIVINGSTON MACOMB MONTCALM

MUSKEGON OAKLAND OTTAWA

SAGINAW ST. CLAIR SANILAC

SHIAWASSEE TUSCOLA VAN BUREN

WASHTENAW WAYNE

$$

Nice boundary noted on the radar in Muscatine and Cedar County working NNE wonder if we see something fire on that in the next hour or so.... Very muggy out there and Summery today. Hopefully the darn cap can go and we can get some organized convection here this evening and tonight.

I'm thinking that's the leading edge of deeper moisture. Kind of a nice theta-e gradient near there, and dewpoints in the upper 50s to the north.

I also think the AC or ACCAS streaming northeast from northern Missouri will be telling. That's probably the upper support that these storms will need to organize.

I'm thinking that's the leading edge of deeper moisture. Kind of a nice theta-e gradient near there, and dewpoints in the upper 50s to the north.

I also think the AC or ACCAS streaming northeast from northern Missouri will be telling. That's probably the upper support that these storms will need to organize.

I think you are dead on. Looking at the VIS imagery it certainly looks like a good chunk of Iowa should really be getting primed to go, except for maybe the Northeast part of the state. I see a lot of agitated sky cover on the imagery so once this upper support shoots across will be interesting to watch.

Lots of hail reports coming in. Alek you got hail?

0628 PM HAIL NILES 42.03N 87.81W

05/03/2012 E0.50 INCH COOK IL TRAINED SPOTTER

DIME SIZED HAIL - MILWAUKEE AVE AND TOUHY AVE

0640 PM HAIL MORTON GROVE 42.04N 87.79W

05/03/2012 E1.25 INCH COOK IL TRAINED SPOTTER

HAIL FROM PENNY TO HALF DOLLAR SIZED - GROSS POINT AND

OAKTON - NEAR NILES WEST H.S.

0640 PM HAIL CHICAGO 41.88N 87.63W

05/03/2012 E0.50 INCH COOK IL AMATEUR RADIO

MILWAUKEE AVE AND BRYN MAWR

0640 PM HAIL EVANSTON 42.05N 87.69W

05/03/2012 M0.88 INCH COOK IL TRAINED SPOTTER