• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Early May (1st-7th) Severe Chances

Stebo

Updated "survey" information from Tuesday's sup.

May 1 Tornado (Updated)

Two tornadoes have been confirmed from the May 1st storms.

Tornado 1:

• Rating: EF-0
  • Time: 6:57 PM EDT.
  • Width: 50 yards
  • Path Length: 0.1 mile

The tornado touched down briefly in a field.

Tornado 2:

• Location:Montgomery County, near New Ross (along County Road 500S between CR625E and CR700E).
  • Rating: EF-1, winds of 100 mph to 110 mph
  • Time:7:36-7:37 PM EDT.
  • Width: 150 yards
  • Path Length: about 0.5 mile

The tornado was rated based on eyewitness Skywarn storm spotters' reports, pictures and videos of the tornado and damage, and from Indianapolis TV stations' damage pictures. The damage rating was based on a destroyed barn, and damaged nearby homes, trees and power poles.

Investigation shows that the report of a tornado near Columbus was not valid. Investigation of the tornado report near Cory southeast of Terre Haute is still ongoing.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updated "survey" information from Tuesday's sup.

May 1 Tornado (Updated)

Two tornadoes have been confirmed from the May 1st storms.

Tornado 1:

• Rating: EF-0
  • Time: 6:57 PM EDT.
  • Width: 50 yards
  • Path Length: 0.1 mile

The tornado touched down briefly in a field.

Tornado 2:

• Location:Montgomery County, near New Ross (along County Road 500S between CR625E and CR700E).
  • Rating: EF-1, winds of 100 mph to 110 mph
  • Time:7:36-7:37 PM EDT.
  • Width: 150 yards
  • Path Length: about 0.5 mile

The tornado was rated based on eyewitness Skywarn storm spotters' reports, pictures and videos of the tornado and damage, and from Indianapolis TV stations' damage pictures. The damage rating was based on a destroyed barn, and damaged nearby homes, trees and power poles.

Investigation shows that the report of a tornado near Columbus was not valid. Investigation of the tornado report near Cory southeast of Terre Haute is still ongoing.

IND has confirmed the Cory tornado (EF0). Total for this event now up to 11 (4 IL, 4 IN, 2 OH, 1 KY)...all EF0/EF1.

Lightning did some trendous damage in the western burbs. Inspected two houses that took direct lightning hits last night. The second of which had the air in the attic superheated so fast, that it blew out all of the soffit around the home as well as dropping drywall ceilings in most of the upstairs. Looked like someone had set a bomb off inside the attic.

Lightning did some trendous damage in the western burbs. Inspected two houses that took direct lightning hits last night. The second of which had the air in the attic superheated so fast, that it blew out all of the soffit around the home as well as dropping drywall ceilings in most of the upstairs. Looked like someone had set a bomb off inside the attic.

cool

Electricity is no joke.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL

254 PM CDT FRI MAY 4 2012

...STORM SURVEY RESULTS FOR MAY 3 2012 TORNADO...

TORNADO : HENRY COUNTY IOWA AND WASHINGTON COUNTY IOWA TORNADO INFORMATION...

* LOCATION...APPROXIMATELY 1 MILE SOUTH OF WAYLAND IN HENRY COUNTY IOWA...TO 2.25 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF CRAWFORDSVILLE IN WASHINGTON COUNTY IOWA.

* TIME...APPROXIMATELY 830 PM CDT TO 900 PM CDT.

* INJURIES/FATALITIES...NONE.

* EF-SCALE RATING...HIGH END EF2.

* ESTIMATED WIND SPEED...130 MPH.

* MAX WIDTH...1/4 MILE.

* PATH LENGTH...APPROXIMATELY 4.3 MILES.

* DAMAGE INFORMATION...THE MOST SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE WAS NOTED NEAR THE END OF THE TORNADO PATH. TWO HOMES LOST ROOFS. AT ONE OF THE RESIDENCES A CAR WAS TUMBLED. SEVERAL FARMS LOST OUTBUILDINGS. 2 TURKEY FARMS WERE DESTROYED. A MAIN TRANSMISSION POWER POLE WAS ALSO SNAPPED.

What a mess in the the flood in the Flint area today, I had to drive my dad to Ann Arbor for some medical checkups and I-75 was closed in both directions each time passing through and the idiot road commision didn't put up any detour signs or routes so I ended up getting lost in the area (i usually just fly through I-75 and just avoid that whole death-hole known as Flint) and trying to find my way through flooded road after flooded road, wasting a couple hours of driving time and gas blah.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL

254 PM CDT FRI MAY 4 2012

...STORM SURVEY RESULTS FOR MAY 3 2012 TORNADO...

I was just about to post that too.

I'll be interested to see more of the damage photos and write up when they get back to the office. The bit about the transmission pole is interesting. I'm wondering if it the metal truss tower or just a larger wooden pole, either way looks awfully close to EF3 just based on this house alone.

546561_300935616653627_115179945229196_696866_2146118010_n.jpg

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH

544 PM EDT FRI MAY 4 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

CENTRAL CHAMPAIGN COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL OHIO...

* UNTIL 615 PM EDT.

* AT 542 PM EDT...RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR WESTVILLE...MOVING EAST AT 15 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

URBANA...

IN ADDITION...WESTVILLE...CABLE...MINGO...KENNARD AND MUTUAL ARE NEAR THE PATH OF THIS DANGEROUS THUNDERSTORM.

Looks like I missed quite the storm yesterday night in Waterloo Region, ON. :whistle:

WATERLOO REGION — Fierce, but short-lived weather pushed through neighbourhoods in Kitchener and Cambridge as a line of thunderstorms hit just after sunset Thursday.

Environment Canada doubts any tornadoes touched down during the storm, said meteorologist Peter Kimbell.

Full article and videos: http://www.therecord...n-causes-damage

I was just about to post that too.

I'll be interested to see more of the damage photos and write up when they get back to the office. The bit about the transmission pole is interesting. I'm wondering if it the metal truss tower or just a larger wooden pole, either way looks awfully close to EF3 just based on this house alone.

546561_300935616653627_115179945229196_696866_2146118010_n.jpg

Ouch... For sale sign in the yard and hit by a tornado...

Looks like we'll be heading to South Dakota tomorrow based on today's guidance. Maybe northern NE depending on how it shakes out. Still "naderless" this year. Feeling the pressure now that it's May lol.

Regarding tonight's MCS. Looks like a WAA wing trying to form in northeast Iowa. Also lots of agitated looking cumulus from the nose of Iowa up to northeast Iowa where that developing WAA wing is. Waterloo, Dubuque, and Cedar Rapids may get plowed by this thing later this evening.

Looks like we'll be heading to South Dakota tomorrow based on today's guidance. Maybe northern NE depending on how it shakes out. Still "naderless" this year. Feeling the pressure now that it's May lol.

Good idea, of course we all know SD has a history with picturesque, strong tornadoes.

Regarding tonight's MCS. Looks like a WAA wing trying to form in northeast Iowa. Also lots of agitated looking cumulus from the nose of Iowa up to northeast Iowa where that developing WAA wing is. Waterloo, Dubuque, and Cedar Rapids may get plowed by this thing later this evening.

The MUCAPE gradient runs from about KCCY to KDVN, and that lines up pretty well with the low level Cu field at this time. I think this thing might slip east southeast right along that line.

Pretty nice storm relative flow set up for a good cold pool. If we can start to increase those 0-2 km storm relative winds we might really get the winds to crank.

Looks like it's coming straight for the Madison-Milwaukee corridor. It's going to advect higher CAPE in from the south so it doesn't matter it's been foggy all day. http://tempest.aos.wisc.edu/radar/wicompflash.html

We'll see, convective systems are all sorts of temperamental. Definitely something to watch since it's only 4 counties from being in Wisconsin.

Archived