• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Substantial drought relief rains en-route?

Ginx snewx

Thanks, last night I was wondering if we got a secondary popping along CC that headed past Boston into Maine, looks like it did, sort of a similar setup to the 2010 storm when NYC was dumping snow while all of NE was rain. That storm spawned a vicious secondary meso that caused huge wind damage. Cool look to the visible

2a45be78.jpg

Have there been any reports of thunder down near Taunton? The vis actually looks like there's might be some CU nearby, and perhaps we might have some convective processes going on, which would give credence to the possibility of something other than rain....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warm front just blasted thru here. Temps rocketed up almost 10 degrees and dews came with it. Quite a tropical feel

Dry next 7-10..don't believe the hype of any more rain storms..Maybe a shower here a shower there

I don't see rain storms per se. But, some rain chances.

Have there been any reports of thunder down near Taunton? The vis actually looks like there's might be some CU nearby, and perhaps we might have some convective processes going on, which would give credence to the possibility of something other than rain....

I saw Scott posted about a TStorm in SE Mass and Harvey Leonard tweeted about it.

Their facebook.

No snow here in the NEK. temps around 34 all night at 2200 ft with warmer air aloft...that report seems fishy unless they were legit at the peak at 4k and snow mixed in with the zr lol

Mansfield was around 30 all night so maybe at the legit top it snowed before a flip to zr, but I still doubt it.

Big time downslope clearing going on here on the west side of the Berkshires. Big patches of deep blue sky and bright sunshine present. You can see it on the visible satellite image I posted below. The northeast flow robbed me of a big rain event too with only 1.10" of rain last night. Instead of getting 40+ dBZ 0.25"-0.5" per hour rains, we were about 25 dBZ and 0.1" per hour rain. Although some of this was likely due to mesoscale features in the mid-levels that were independent of topography, a lot of it was likely due to downslope effects. The heavier echoes moving up from the south kept weakening as they moved in over me. Interesting stuff.

vis0.gif

No snow here in the NEK. temps around 34 all night at 2200 ft with warmer air aloft...that report seems fishy unless they were legit at the peak at 4k and snow mixed in lol

Mansfield was around 30 all night so maybe at the legit top it snowed.

Its very possible that it was snow to start... but I bet it was mostly freezing rain/sleet after that.

Nice night to be on the upper mountain... ESE winds sustained at 40-50mph, gusting to near 80mph. Wind chills in the mid teens and ambient temps around freezing.

Well, there's only one way to find out what happened. What's the logical thing to do after 2" of rain on April 23rd? Go skiing, of course.

Time to break out the storm gear as mist, and wind-blown drizzle at temps in the low 30s, and near zero visibility in dense fog up in the low ceiling sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

Its very possible that it was snow to start... but I bet it was mostly freezing rain/sleet after that.

Nice night to be on the upper mountain... ESE winds sustained at 40-50mph, gusting to near 80mph. Wind chills in the mid teens and ambient temps around freezing.

Well, there's only one way to find out what happened. What's the logical thing to do after 2" of rain on April 23rd? Go skiing, of course.

Time to break out the storm gear as mist, and wind-blown drizzle at temps in the low 30s, and near zero visibility in dense fog up in the low ceiling sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

Where's the snow level on Stowe? I was driving by killington Sunday and it seemed to be pretty high up(3k?+).

Where's the snow level on Stowe? I was driving by killington Sunday and it seemed to be pretty high up(3k?+).

You mean natural snow level? Snow level is dubious this time of year as it all depends on aspect, winter-long drifting patterns, snowmaking etc. For the most part its bare till you get to at least 3,000ft in the woods. Snowmaking though sort of defies all that as there's still snowmaking to the base in areas.

I can find pretty solid woods cover starting at like 3,000 feet or so though I'd imagine based on before this event running into snow in the woods around 2,700ft. But again, this is east and north facing aspects that Stowe's trails are on generally... I hear the western side of Mansfield that faces Burlington and gets long afternoon sun is bare to 4,000ft outside of drifts hiding amongst the rocks.

You mean natural snow level? Snow level is dubious this time of year as it all depends on aspect, winter-long drifting patterns, snowmaking etc. For the most part its bare till you get to at least 3,000ft in the woods. Snowmaking though sort of defies all that as there's still snowmaking to the base in areas.

I can find pretty solid woods cover starting at like 3,000 feet or so though I'd imagine based on before this event running into snow in the woods around 2,700ft. But again, this is east and north facing aspects that Stowe's trails are on generally... I hear the western side of Mansfield that faces Burlington and gets long afternoon sun is bare to 4,000ft outside of drifts hiding amongst the rocks.

Yeah natural I meant. That's crazy. Burke is completely bare with respect to natural snow. There are still some man made patches up top. Pretty cool.

Yeah natural I meant. That's crazy. Burke is completely bare with respect to natural snow. There are still some man made patches up top. Pretty cool.

Does that include the northern and eastern slopes?  When I was up there in the late 80s we had some lean years but there always seem to be some natural snow that stuck around deep under the dense evergreens in early May.  I know it's been warm but I would have expected some patches of snow in the NEK on north facing slopes.  NOHRSC seems to think there's something there.

We are getting off topic but this was a couple days ago before the rain at around 3,000ft...maybe 3,200ft. I skinned up through the trees from like 2,9-3,300ft. I bet this really got beaten back but it may not have if temps have been hanging around freezing during all this latest rain. May have even glazed up.

This is obviously all-natural cover. Its funny, there's no snow under the trees but out in the open the center of the piles are like 2 feet thick. Funny how the seasonal melt process continues to open up around the trees until we'll lastly be left with some small piles equally spaced between all the trees.

IMG_4876_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4890_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4886_edited-1.jpg

Does that include the northern and eastern slopes? When I was up there in the late 80s we had some lean years but there always seem to be some natural snow that stuck around deep under the dense evergreens in early May. I know it's been warm but I would have expected some patches of snow in the NEK on north facing slopes. NOHRSC seems to think there's something there.

I gotta imagine there's still snow on NE facing slopes at 3,000ft, too up there. The only kicker is I also know that locally places like Mansfield and Jay have probably received double the snow that Burke got this year as much of the snowfall was orographically driven.

I think 3,000ft on the east side of the Green Mountain Spine which builds depths to 80"+ thanks to consistent upslope, is going to be different than equal elevations/aspects further inland and out of the upslope region. I'm not sure what Burke got out of that even centered around April 10-11 when the Spine and Mansfield picked up 25-30" up high.

No snow here in the NEK. temps around 34 all night at 2200 ft with warmer air aloft...that report seems fishy unless they were legit at the peak at 4k and snow mixed in with the zr lol

Mansfield was around 30 all night so maybe at the legit top it snowed before a flip to zr, but I still doubt it.

You guys are relentless, look at their fb for yourselves.

Does that include the northern and eastern slopes? When I was up there in the late 80s we had some lean years but there always seem to be some natural snow that stuck around deep under the dense evergreens in early May. I know it's been warm but I would have expected some patches of snow in the NEK on north facing slopes. NOHRSC seems to think there's something there.

From my view here at LSC (on the SW facing side) there is nothing visible all the way up...driving from Newark (north facing) there is some man made stuff up top still with little to nothing visible on trees/in the woods. Again like PF said, Burke got little to no snow when Stowe and Jay got 24" two weeks ago, but there may be some patches up top. The last time I was up top was 3/3 before all of the warmth and there was about 3ft natural up there. I beleive Burke close around 3/20 this year.

Archived